Löwenbräu Oktoberfestbier | Löwenbräu AG

3.6/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

2.84/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Clear pale yellow with a head that fades quick. Looks like any other standard european lager.

A touch of spice on the nose with a fair bit of sulfur. I like the slight hop presence, but overall not that appealing.

The taste is a little sweet malt with some not-very-well hidden alcohol. The back end is a bitter for the style but has a harshness.

Strange, harsh mouthfeel.

The alcohol comes through way too much and there's too much sulfur in the nose and a harsh bitterness in the aftertaste.

I was hoping this would grow on me as I got through the half liter, but alas, it got worse.
In the bottom two for me in regards to the Munich O'fests(the other one is Hofbrau.)

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light yellow colour. Head smallish. Not much lacing (0.4L glass: handle, straight-up-sides).
Smells good. Loads of malt at first; grass, hay; a little sour as it goes further down the glass.
Mouthfeel: carbonation is not at all overpowering, yet bubbles exploding in your mouth, pop, pop; underneath smooth flowing, almost velvety even. Taste is tied up with the popping mini-explosions and the smooth-flow. The "pops" are hoppy and dry, the big undercurrent is a balanced blend of malt and hops.
The finish is hoppy, dry, but maybe a little weak (?) - a wee bit metallic I find - but I think I'll have to get a few more bottles to check this out ;-)
Aftertaste is good, clean, and then quite peppery on the tongue - like after eating Rocket salad.

I'm not that familiar with the Märzen style so cant judge it so well in term of for-the-style, but as said, I'll be getting more...

B.B. 08.2014 (Review Sep 26, 2013)

Tried again September 2014 (B.B. 08.2015)
Says 6.1% on the label (dont know, have they made it stronger?)
Very drinkable; comes across as a good but uncomplex beer. Reading my review above, I'm missing out on the peppery aftertaste, but I also get less of the metallic aftertaste. Still nicely balanced hops and malt wnich is rare enough to find. I'm not disappointed to have bought a few bottles, but suspect that 2013 was a slightly better year - or maybe it's just that my standards have gone up since then (?)
Reduced rating from 4.11 to 3.8

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

At the Senator's lounge in Munchen airport and i'm trying the Lowenbrau Oktoberfest beer. It poured a pure golden yellow with thin white head that is not lacing. The scent has grain and a touch of maize. The taste is a bit brutal...the 6% being very prominent and does not make this beer an easy session....in my opinion. THe mouthfeel is light to medium in body with good carbonation. Overall I prefer a standard Euro lager to this.

4.5/5  rDev +25%