Red Jacket Amber Ale | Keweenaw Brewing Company

keweenawbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by tempest on 05-24-2006

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

This is a great beer its my staple beer that i just cant ever get enough of. The first time that i tried it i thought that it was ok then about a month later i decided to try it again and i loved it.
Malty goodness. Brown sugar, Coffee, Honey, Caramel and Toasted raisin bread, followed by a slight hop bitterness.

I love this beer think that it has tons of depth and character. I'm surprised by some peoples ratings.

I dont care for there bridge lifter so far.

4.71/5  rDev +36.5%

Pours a cloudy amber color with a very nice head. Smell has roasted malty aromas and just a hint a fruitiness. Taste is very complex, but well balance. The malts make it goes down smooth and is moderately carbonated with some hoppiness too. There isn't really anything bad I can say about this beer. One of the best I've had in the UP to date. I only wish this was distributed in my area.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

4.21/5  rDev +22%

I CANnot express my joy in being able to review this beer! My initial cry for CANs led me to a source for two of the four currently being CANned, but then I met the owners/brewer at the GTMW and not only did they hook me up with a review-only (no trade) CAN of each of the other two, but their philosophy was dead on! These people really get Green. It has caused me to rethink what I have heard about YooPers. They have their act together.

Head was a finger of bubbly, light-brown with decent retention. Color was a slightly hazy reddish-amber, not unlike this beautiful redhead that I met at the Great Dane two Sundays ago. The nose had a fruity, malty sweetness that I have encountered before. Kind of a strawberry or raspberry Jell-O smell that always takes me back to my youth. Mouthfeel was medium with an interesting fruity taste as described above, but underlain with a slight bitterness. Finish was moderately sweet, very berry-like and super smooth. I really got lost in how quickly I was drinking this down. This CAN become another that I will pull off of the trading block if I develop a Jones for it. Act now!

In other, unrelated news, from the CAN: "The Keweenaw Brewing Company, located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, was founded with the goal of turning beer drinkers into craft-beer lovers. Medium bodied and lightly hopped, this classic Oktoberfest-style ale is brewed in tribute to the Red Jacket Mine of what is now Calumet and to the glory days of the copper industry in the Keweenaw Peninsula."

As a redhead, I liked the ginger miner on the CAN and I am sure that my friend at the bar would likewise approve.

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

A - Thick dark orange to medium brown colored body with an inch of pale tan head that fades slowly.

S - Fruit aroma of plum, berries, and pungent citrus. There's a hint of alcohol in the air too.

T - Nice fruity and malt start with pungent hops in the middle. The finish is a combination of the two making for a complex ending.

M - The feel is thick to start and moves to a coarseness that's very fine all the way to the finish.

~ I was not expecting this can of beer to be so good. I'm an greatly impressed and would certainly recommend this brew to any one of my friends.

Craft beer in a can!

This is a fine amber.

Pours out to a nice, dark red in the glass with a good, sized, head. The aroma is that of malt and bread dough. The taste is very good. Roasted malt taste that tastes you from amber to marzen and definitely says "Octoberfest".

Very well done.

If this is available in my area on a more, consistent basis, I'll have no issue picking it up. Would be a great thing to take camping -- yay to cans.

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured a somewhat cloudy red/amber. A large off-white head rose to the top of the glass. The head hung around and left ample lacing.

The smell is almost entirely malt. It reminds me of fresh sourdough bread. The nose is very strong and makes me eager to take my first sip. There is just the tiniest hint of hops in the aroma.

The flavor is much like the smell; malt dominated. There are big-time biscuit like flavors. I also taste a good amount of roasted flavors throughout this one. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and creamy.

I was very impressed by this brew. It was tasty and went down very easy. It would make a great season beer. I didn't even know this Michigan brewer existed until I saw their beer in the store a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to pick up some of their other offerings and I hope that I keep seeing this one in the beer cooler.

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

Dark amber with short white head. Smells of sweet, caramel malts with a touch of hops. Hops come out more in the flavor and adds a nice kick. Full-malt flavor, adding a touch of fruit to the caramel. Easy drinking and damn tasty. They call it an oktoberfest-style beer, but its more American Amber with balls. Definately the best beer I've had at KBC.

4.07/5  rDev +18%

(Note: BA calls this an American Amber, but the can refers to itself as an "Octoberfest-style ale.)

Appearance: Hazy brown/orange body with slight yellow tinge at the bottom. Thick brownish head that dissipates to soapscum quickly.

Smell: Rich, malty, nutty. Quite dry. Very strong grains.

Taste: Sweet nutty grains on the front-end, with a bit of syrup on the finish. Some nice bitter hops, as well, and a dry aftertaste. Kind of a weird amalgam of styles, but somehow it works. Very much more like an Octoberfest than an Amber, so take that for what you will.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than anticipated, very low carbonation, with no particular hop bite. Smooth but a bit thick.

Drinkability: I'm tempted to pound these straight from the can. A nice beer, very good at what it does.

Clear, on the orange side of amber, with an off-white head.

Bready aroma, malty taste, just a hint of sweetness. Hops take a back seat to malt; no hoppy flavors or aroma, but bittering and sweetness are well-balanced.

Reminds me more of an Octoberfest than an American amber, which I usually think of as ahaving a bit more crystal malt presence, fruitiness, and or hop character. This is an easy drinking beer, tasty but non-agressive, ought to be a crowd pleaser, with sufficient appeal to folks with craft brew or more mainstream tastes.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer was a pleasant surprise. It pours a dark coppery amber with a significant head. It has very nice lacing. The smell is nothing to write home about. It smells of fruit and malts.

It tastes delicious with malts and fruitiness. It comes across more as a brown than an amber. It is not as bitter as I would expect. It is also pretty thick.

This is a easy drinker. It would taste great with a pizza.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz can, Riley's

appearance: poured from can to a Stone pint glass...clean and clear amber body with a light tan head and minimal lacing

smell: big caramel malts, toasted grain, sweet apple

taste: could double for an american marzen in a blind taste test...caramel apple, toasted grains and malts, thin and easy drinking

mouthfeel: a little thin, but nice for the style

drinkability: easy

3.9/5  rDev +13%

L: Pours brilliant reddish amber under a 1” cream colored foam cap.
S: Fruit and malt on the nose.
T: Light caramel to toffee, light fruit, faint cola.
F: medium body and carbonation.
O: Slightly bland but drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a big fan of this beer, only second to their brown. Poured from the tap into a pint glass, beer is an amber-copper color with a tapioca colored head with tons of frothy bubbles. Leaves thick webbing of foam around the glass. Smell sweet with amber malt, slightly roasted and not much in the way of hops; most of their beers share a malty consistency with minimal hops. The taste is very much like the smell, a malty amber flavor with just a touch of hops. It is incredibly smooth though, with a medium-full bodied mouthfeel and slightly creamy carbonation. This is a sessionable amber, smooth and enjoyable. If you're ever in the area, I would recommend stopping by the KBC.

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can
Served in a conical pint glass

A - This beer is as advertised, amber in color, with golden highlights. It is topped with an inch of off-white head. There is some suspended yeast as well.

S - I smell sweet caramel malt. It almost has a maple sweetness to it.

T - The taste has a sweet caramel taste to it along with some toffee. There are some faint hops but pretty sweet overall.

M - Medium

O - This is a pretty good beer. It is a little sweet, but it is a decent amber.

Red Jacket Amber Ale from Keweenaw Brewing Company