Old Glory American Pale Ale | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Old Glory American Pale AleOld Glory American Pale Ale

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

In true pioneer spirit we offer this brew as our translation of the British pale-ale style. The full flavor of American Cascade hops pours out at you from every angle, the result of adding hops 5 different times to the brew, including "dry-hopping". An underlying, rich malt flavor supports the crisp and floral hop bitterness to produce a thirst-quenching, flavorful brew.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-11-2002

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

From notes on 1/18/14

Ruby red color. Little head. Not much aroma. Very earthy flavor. Minimal hop taste. Much more prominent malt. Ok

3.02/5  rDev -20.3%

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

A: luminescent gold and yellowish orange with hints of red. Lacking in the head department that paired with a few struggling blobs of lace

S: sweet caramel, whiff of malts, soft fruits (grapefruit, oranges)

T: hops presence is subdued, comes across as watery and thin with lingering caramel/dextrose sweetness. Malts hang in the back. Comes across fresh and what hops their are give a little kick of zest. This beer has a few dimensions that I look for in a pale ale but lacks in overall complexity

M: body is smooth and virtually motionless in the glass. A bit dry and sweet in the finish makes this its strongest features

D: I could drink a couple...but would I want to? Most likely I would pass on this beer. My first brew of this brand and let alone it is in an airport. I have a bit of a layover till my next flight and another beer might be possible...a chance to redeem. Otherwise I am not that impressed, an average APA

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Had a pint at the eastside Pub location.

A=Nice, rich amber color...slightly lighter than an Amber. Head was yellowish-white and present for about 30 seconds.

S=Rather pungent...I didn't remember to smell it until the halfway mark, but smelled citrusy and clove? Hops presence dominated.

T=I was impressed...it reminded me of a Ale Asylum Hopalicious, only a tad more drinkable (meaning not quite as hoppy). Strong flavor of floral...er, hops. Light flavor of malt. I like this better than the Hopilicious and, having this on tap less than a 1/2 mile from my home, will now be my go to beer from GD (I like their Porter a tad better...but not as much as the Edmund Fitzgerald). Finally glad to have a GD beer that I like. 11/23/12 update: much more hops than I recall; in fact, too hoppy vs. others I've tried. Score lowered to 2.5.

M=Very Pleasant. Very low carbonation...just enough body. Very drinkable.

O=Even though I am more of a malt person, I really enjoyed this beer.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

on tap at the Great Dane in the Madison Airport, prior to my flight to seattle (via minneapolis)

appearance: comes glowing in an imperial pint glass, bright amber, bubbly beige head with no retention whatsoever

smell: slightly sour, which struck me as odd...dull malty backbone with a light citrus hop presence, sweet and caramelized

taste: again an interesting sour characteristic that certainly seems deliberate, juicy orange-citrus hops, chalky, light caramel, light pine, toasted malt. Decent

mouthfeel: medium-thin with average carbonation

drinkability: pretty drinkable, but not what I look for in an APA

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

From 11/03/12 notes. Had on tap at the downtown brewpub.

a - Pours a clear orange amber color with no head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, and some light pine hops. Not super hoppy, but a nice APA.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, citrus hops, sweet fruits, pine hops, lemon, and grapefruit. Sweeter than the nose and more citrus.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. No bitterness, pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall a pretty decent APA. Not super hoppy but a lot of citrus and fruit and easy to drink. Would try it again.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on tap at the downtown brewpub. Cascade hops, an Ok bitterness was delivered. Lacey, cloudy golden body. Like a lighter IPA. Carbonation right there. Hoppy aroma, 40 IBU. OK as a moderately hoppy beer, with 40 IBU and 5.2% abv. What would make this better?

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Well balanced aroma. Solid malt foundation and an earthy quality to the hops.
Minimal head even upon pour. Very clear. Classic gold/yellow amber.
Flavors, as with the aroma, is well balanced with a distinct biscuit flavor (that seems to intermix with the hops and create a vanilla flavor for me). Bready quality too. Hops again with a earthy quality - surprised to learn web-site only lists cascade as it doesn't present that way with this drinking.
Reasonable smooth.
I noted that I slowed down my drinking pace. Not sure why. A bit rich? Fatigued from earlier beers? Not sure, but a nicely done well balanced APA with strong British characteristics.
Thanks Chuck.
After reading other reviews that note the distinct cascade aroma and flavor I can only conclude that my ability to distinguish that was the assault on my flavor receptors from the several Stone beers that preceded this drink.

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Old Glory American Pale Ale from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)