Stone Of Scone Scotch Ale | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

good

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Named for the stone upon which Scottish kings were crowned, our Scotch Ale represents a tradition of brewing excellence. You will enjoy a hint of caramel sweetness, a well-rounded flavor, and superior drinkability. Try one and see how kingly a beer can be.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2002

2.44/5  rDev -33.5%

A: relatively light for a scotch ale, light crimson shade with red all around, reminiscent of bourbon hues at times. Small creamed off-white head. Looks halfway decent in the glass with rings of lace

S: slightly robust malts, caramel sweetness with hints of brown sugar. Hard to gather, very yielding nose

T: brown sugar sweets that are syrup-like and sometimes almost medicinal at times. I get a dab of coffee, toasted, and smoked flavors in the mix. Malts are mild and balanced and hide in the dark. However, once again, I find this brew lacks in overall complexity. The flavors show up and disappear quickly and this is not protocol, especially for a scotch ale. This is a weak attempt!

M: fairly active and maintains some smoothness. Artificial sweetness lingers and a touch bitter in the finish

D: just to timid for the style. Maybe I am spoiled because the last scotch ale I enjoyed was a skullsplitter. But I think I am in the right saying that I can't even fathom calling Great Dane's "Stone of Scone" a scotch ale.
Maybe I must get to the brewery and sample some of these beers...so far 2 lame experiences

2.52/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

At their Wausau pub. Although the look and feel are good, it's about the taste. There is an odd back smell/taste to the smell and taste, as if the grains aren't stored properly. Thus picking up punky woody taste. But this could be the yeast. If so and it may be since their s-bahn (Munich lager)was similar, they need to restart their yeast program.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev -24%

A. Mahogany brown with red tinge to the edges. Not much of a head, but that's OK.
S. Here is where I start to sense trouble. I really have to struggle to get any kind of smell at all out of this beer. Eventually, after almost snorting the beer up my nose by accident, I detect a weak caramel-toffee malt with maple notes. I should not have to try so hard to be able to smell my beer, and no, I do not have a head cold. This is supposed to be a Scotch Ale?
T. Follows the nose. Weak watery malt notes and a smidge of maple. I am starting to worry that either A. I have jaded my palate with an excess of higher gravity brews or B. This beer is not very good.
M. Well, at least it is thirst-quenching and doesn't sit heavy at all. But isn't the style called 'wee heavy' for a reason?

I'm probably not going to get this one again.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Slightly hazed, tawny copper bodied with a wisp of a head that extinguishes quickly.
Mild malty aroma with traces of toffee and ghostly smoke. Pleasant, but quite faint.
Similar in the taste dept. Carmel and toffee are the major players. A slight peaty smokiness lingers waaaaay in the background. A touch of alcohol in the finish. And that is it.
Thin and watery for a strong scotch ale.
There are no off-flavors or anything offensive about this beer, it just needs a boost in just about every catagory.
Easy drinking, but you'd probably want to move onto one of Great Dane's more interesting brews.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Clear cherry cola with blood orange trim. The beige cap was the usual one finger bar pour in height, fell to a spotty film within minutes and left a small amount of spotty, smeary lace. By the midway point, there was nothing on the surface of the beer or on the glass.

The nose was disappointingly weak. There was no tobacco smoke in the brewpub and there were no strong food smells, so it was surprising that I couldn't appreciate more of an aroma with several focused sniffs. Dark malty, heavily toasted... that's about it. It certainly didn't smell like a Scotch ale.

Let's get this out of the way at the start. Stone of Scone is not a Scotch ale/wee heavy. At least not as I think of the style. In fact, it's barely a Scottish ale (but will be scored as such). It was lightly malted and, therefore, lightly flavored. I could appreciate earthy Munich malt, weak cocoa and well-toasted pecans. Perhaps a touch of British hops, but they were in the background.

The beer was more notable for what it didn't possess than for what it did. The absentee list goes something like this: caramel, brown sugar, peat, smoke and dark fruit. There was very little sweetness and not much bitterness. SOSSA was too light, even for a Scottish ale, and didn't have even a trace amount of creaminess.

Had I been led astray? I had traveled several hundred miles to partake of the fine ales at The Great Dane, Madison's brewpub of brewpubs, famed in song and story, and had been served *this*. I wish I had read some of the reviews prior to my trip because I wouldn't have led off with Stone Of Scone, that's for sure. I have to believe that this is one of the weakest of the Dane's offerings. At least I hope so.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I had this one on tap at the Great Dane in Madison on 11/28/2008.

A= This ale poured a fairly clear, dark copper color with a 1/2" off white head. The head quickly sank to a skim and left only a few spots of lace on my glass.

S= Dominant aromas of sweet caramel maltiness. Mild depth to the sweetness, with a hint of breadiness in there too. Also an off-aroma of a chemical nature.

T= All the right flavors of a sweet malt-bomb present, but unfortunately a big off-flavor as well. It was mildly chemical-ly and I don't know what caused it. It wasn't so strong that the beer was undrinkable, yet it was strong enough that it really got in the way of my enjoyment.

MF= Medium bodied with a moderate crisp carbonation.

D= The good flavors and the alcohol made this a beer I could easily session. That sharp off flavor was a deal breaker for me though...

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a clear, dark brown witha very small head.

Smell was almost nonexistant. All I could pick up were hints of spices.

Flavor was very enjoyable. It has an extremely nutty overtone, with lots of smoky flavors. Sweetened by deep honey or maple. Unfortunately, it seemed sour.

Starts out crisp, ended foamy and creamy. Overall, I'd say it was a bit thin.

Quite drinkable, but there are other beers at this location I'd rather have.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Stone Of Scone Scotch Ale from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)