Stone Of Scone Scotch Ale | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

3.73/5
Good

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Named for the stone upon which Scottish kings were crowned, our Scotch Ale represents a tradition of brewing excellence. You will enjoy a hint of caramel sweetness, a well-rounded flavor, and superior drinkability. Try one and see how kingly a beer can be.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2002

3.76/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at city brew pub. Overall, I like this brew. Aroma could use some help, just a faint sweet and malty aroma. Not too carbonated, which I like. Sweet and roasted malt favors from the coppery brown pour, minimal head. Always comes in a pint glass. There is a little bitter note that reminds me of tea. Lot of flavor overall, minimal hops that I think is correct for a Scotch ale. A little thick on the tongue, by not much after taste.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Had on tap at the Hilldale location. Served into a pint glass.

Appearance: clear, chestnut brown in color, 1/4 inch head, low carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and leather

Taste: toasted malt, caramel, peat, and leather

Mouthfeel: sweet, medium-heavy body, medium carbonation

Overall: It is great when a brewery does a non-standard style and does it well. Love the caramel and leather combination. Would have several of these if I was in Wisconsin. This was the best from the brewery that I tried.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Another seasonal put on, enjoyed on tap at the downtown brewpub. Amber body with a bit of head. Malty aroma. average mouthfeel. Somewhat Complex malt story,on the sweeter side, with caramel, chocolate malts, a bit of smoked malts. Not a bad one. No booziness.

2.79/5  rDev -25.2%

A. Mahogany brown with red tinge to the edges. Not much of a head, but that's OK.
S. Here is where I start to sense trouble. I really have to struggle to get any kind of smell at all out of this beer. Eventually, after almost snorting the beer up my nose by accident, I detect a weak caramel-toffee malt with maple notes. I should not have to try so hard to be able to smell my beer, and no, I do not have a head cold. This is supposed to be a Scotch Ale?
T. Follows the nose. Weak watery malt notes and a smidge of maple. I am starting to worry that either A. I have jaded my palate with an excess of higher gravity brews or B. This beer is not very good.
M. Well, at least it is thirst-quenching and doesn't sit heavy at all. But isn't the style called 'wee heavy' for a reason?

I'm probably not going to get this one again.

Served in a nonic pint glass at the Madison brewpub.

Another entry in my pre-interview extravaganza. It pours a clear darkly burnt copper topped by a finger of off-white micro-foam. The nose comprises toasted caramel, toffee, light tobacco, mixed nuts, and oak. The taste holds notes of caramel, toffee, walnuts, some greens, and a touch o' rye bread. The body is medium, with a light carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a very nice Scotch, one of the better brews I've sampled here thus far. Good call on this one, Mike!

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

Yum. I've had it at the Fitchburg, Hilldale, and Down Town Great Danes, I'm always pleased. Usually in an English style Pub glass. My first Scotch Ale and still one that I long for. It's now McEwan's, but still quite solid. If you're at the Dane, it might not be the best choice, but it's definitely one of their better beers. The IPA and new Barley Wine are not to be missed. Certainly worth trying.

2.44/5  rDev -34.6%

A: relatively light for a scotch ale, light crimson shade with red all around, reminiscent of bourbon hues at times. Small creamed off-white head. Looks halfway decent in the glass with rings of lace

S: slightly robust malts, caramel sweetness with hints of brown sugar. Hard to gather, very yielding nose

T: brown sugar sweets that are syrup-like and sometimes almost medicinal at times. I get a dab of coffee, toasted, and smoked flavors in the mix. Malts are mild and balanced and hide in the dark. However, once again, I find this brew lacks in overall complexity. The flavors show up and disappear quickly and this is not protocol, especially for a scotch ale. This is a weak attempt!

M: fairly active and maintains some smoothness. Artificial sweetness lingers and a touch bitter in the finish

D: just to timid for the style. Maybe I am spoiled because the last scotch ale I enjoyed was a skullsplitter. But I think I am in the right saying that I can't even fathom calling Great Dane's "Stone of Scone" a scotch ale.
Maybe I must get to the brewery and sample some of these beers...so far 2 lame experiences

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

I had this one on tap at the Great Dane in Madison on 11/28/2008.

A= This ale poured a fairly clear, dark copper color with a 1/2" off white head. The head quickly sank to a skim and left only a few spots of lace on my glass.

S= Dominant aromas of sweet caramel maltiness. Mild depth to the sweetness, with a hint of breadiness in there too. Also an off-aroma of a chemical nature.

T= All the right flavors of a sweet malt-bomb present, but unfortunately a big off-flavor as well. It was mildly chemical-ly and I don't know what caused it. It wasn't so strong that the beer was undrinkable, yet it was strong enough that it really got in the way of my enjoyment.

MF= Medium bodied with a moderate crisp carbonation.

D= The good flavors and the alcohol made this a beer I could easily session. That sharp off flavor was a deal breaker for me though...

Stone Of Scone Scotch Ale from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)