Wooden River ESB | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Liked This Beer
3.54 w/ 1 ratings

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by dhannes on 01-08-2011

Liked:
3.54/5
Alströms:

3.54/5  rDev 0%

I had this new tap on 1/8/11 at the Hilldale location, after sampling an "Octoberfest" that was very watery. This was served well chilled in a pint glass.

A=A light caramel color with minimal foam that dissipated quickly (even my mother, not a beer drinker, commented that Great Dane must use soap for washing glasses as their was very little head).

S=Non-existent...a very faint smell of hops, but not much else.

T=I disliked the taste of the first few sips so much that I didn't see myself finishing the beer--somewhat sour and tangy. But after letting the beer warm up to around 45º, the flavor improved immensely, reminding me of the marzen that I was looking for...bold, flavorful, and no longer off.

M=A good body...just a bit too watery to give it an excellent, however.

D=If trying this beer, let it warm up before finishing it...if you are trying to slam a beer before a Badger game, you won't get the full essence of this new brew...it needs at least a half hour to fully appreciate its flavor.

Wooden River ESB from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 1 ratings