Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oktoppelbock Eis | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

3.74/5
Good
1 Rating

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by dhannes on 02-13-2013

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap at the Eastside location for Mardi Gras in a snifter. Billed as an eis/ice version of a Octoberfest/doppelbock.

A=Vibrant apricot, reddish-orange, but no head.

S=Almost none...maybe orange, or orange peel.

T=First taste was a combination of caramel and cream, but I also tasted bourbon and what could only be described as medicinal, sort of like cherry cough syrup. The sting from alcohol was present throughout.

M=Light for a doppelbock; but good for a märzen. Sweetness and alcohol makes this a sipper...felt "slippery" at times.

O=As this beer was intended to be a hybrid, I would estimate it to be closer to a märzen. I missed the smoothness and robustness typically associated with a märzen. Paired with gumbo, it complimented it rather well...still, the taste was not what I was expecting and only mildly enjoyable. I probably would not purchase this again, although I can see many others liking this beer under the correct circumstances.

Oktoppelbock Eis from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)