Mountain Crest Rani Lager | Mountain Crest Liquors

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by IronDjinn on 04-12-2005

Reviews by IronDjinn:
2.06/5  rDev 0%

One thing I've come to realize is that Mountain Crest via the Joseph Huber Brewing company is capable of making a decent looking beer from time to time, just as that brewery itself can produce a few lookers of their own. It also reminds me that my mother once told me that if I always go for looks that I'll end up heartbroken.

This is a nicely packaged beer, I like the label and the font for the name. A little bit of gold bordering around the label for highlights. Even when the beer is poured out it is a decent looking lager, a deep gold with about a finger of frothy white head. However that's all where the charm ends. Corn and sour grains on the aroma. The flavour immediately reminds me of a Joseph Huber product, perhaps their distinct use of adjuncts, possibly the yeast. There is an underlying sweetness along with a bland grain character, and then the flavour bottoms out on the finish, drops out of sight. A little bit of corn lingers on the aftertaste, not knowing what to do with itself. The mouthfeel is watery with some mild carbonation. And to think this is only available in cases of 12, damn lucky I was able to buy a couple of them seperately. To be avoided in my opinion, especially at the price they're charging for this stuff.

Well, I didn't end up heartbroken, but disappointed all the same. A nice looking beer, but that's it.

1.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a shame when a restaurant has a beer fridge with three full coolers, and the waiter has the temerity to claim this as a good 'Beer from India' to go with the multi-splendiferous offerings of their south Asian buffet...

This beer pours a hazy, very pale yellow colour, with one finger of thin white head, which quickly renders some very sparse, streaked lace. It smells of sweet, corn-field grain, affected by a musty, locker-room essence. The taste is sweet, clammy grain, and acrid, spoiled organic matter. The carbonation is moderate, the body lightweight and watery, yet soul-sucking in its cloyingness. It finishes with a weird sweet herbal tinge.

A standard, cheap adjunct lager, dressed up as an Indian resto wannabe. Pass on this next time with extreme prejudice.

Mountain Crest Rani Lager from Mountain Crest Liquors