1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Whoop Pass IPA | Silver City Brewing Co.

Whoop Pass IPAWhoop Pass IPA

Style: American Imperial IPA

None provided.

Reviews by freed:
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Had a generous sample of this at OBF06 and marked that I should go back for more. Didn't follow my instructions. Damn.

Pours an almost strawberry & copper color with a lacy and crinkled white head.

Aroma is dominated by fruity hops - pleasant citrus and floral.

The taste is plethora of hop tributes. Bright and bold sweet, floral and grapefruity. The malt body is enough to satisfy but doesn't over-sweeten the delivery. There's ample bitterness to give a nice lip-smacking finish. Quite satisfying on the palate.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Pours a orange color, nice 2 finger width frothy white head and great lace down the glass.
S: Smells of fruits, sweet malts and citrusy hops. Very nice!
T: Nice sweet fruity and sweet malt up front followed by herbal earthy hops. ETOH is very well hidden, I can't believe this is 9% abv.
M: Medium bodied, real resiny.
D: This is a great beer...my new favorite from this brewery.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

1/4 gallon bottle of strong beer warrants the right occasion. We cracked into this whike brewing a batch of brown ale and firing up the barbecue.

Golden and dark brew with a head of fine tan bubbles. Smell was hoppy and fragrant, Smelled exceptionally fresh.

Taste is just what you want in an IPA. Very well balanced, hoppy and floral, with noticeable yeastiness (which I like). Aftertaste was very crisp and refreshing, bitter but in a nice subtle way.

It was a bit thin and astringent, but overall, amazing and incredibly pleasing. Never have I tried a high-alcohol beer that was so crisp and dry.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper colore with a rocky white head (after a hard pour in my second glass); lacing is modest

Smell: Resinous and piney, with an almost meaty character

Taste: Starts out with a piney flavor and a touch of the biscuit; after the swallow, it literally bursts with resinous pine and undertones of grapefruit; the finish is very dry and bitter with just a touch of residual sweetness at the tip of tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with relatively low carbonation (my bottle was filled nearly to the rim, which may have contributed to this)

Drinkability: Nectar for the hop gods, this would be improved with a bit more carbonation; otherwise, top notch

Thanks, waldowin, for the opportunity

4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours out clear amber with a good four fingers high of off white fluffy head. The glass was completely covered in lacey foam and it retains a cap of foam for the duration. Huge hops in the nose citric grapefruit, floral and piney notes galore. Now this is what I expect for a DIPA to smell like, simply fantastic. Some light caramel and toasty malts are notes beneath the tons of hops. Plenty of hops upfront on the flavor kicking your tongue around. Great floral, earthy and piney hops and a great bitterness. Light sweet caramel and a toasty malt backs up all those hops nicely. Dry bitter floral finish that lingers for a bit. Pretty full body with a prickly feel from the hops raking over your tongue. Very tasty stuff that I found quite drinkable. Definitely something I wish I could get locally, excellent stuff.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Very good although more of a regular IPA than double. Poured at a good temperature with a medium size, cream color, foamy, thick head that settled after a bit and a bit of lace. Color is a clear amber with plenty of bubble trails. Aroma is a nice blend of hop, caramel malt, citrus and a little resin. Flavor's like nose with all of the characteristics enhanced and bolder. Very good balance between tang, bitter, and sweet. Body/carbonation are just right. Finish is like flavor except the resin gets stronger and turns a little bad. Still, I really like this beer and wish I could get more.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Lately with double IPAs, I've been more concerned with the don'ts than the dos. That is, don't give me something that tastes like malt syrup. Don't give me something that tastes like gasoline and expect me to rave about it due to the fact that it's Xtreme. And don't make it taste like one of the first few batches of a homebrewer, where all sorts of crazy shit is added to the pot because, hey, the hops'll blot out anything bad.

This avoids all those don'ts.

So, I guess I need to dust of my list of dos. Personally my favorite double IPAs are the ones where you got some big yeast complexities, or else the hops are some so far unimagined blend. This has... neither. Hmm. But that doesn't make it bad or even not-good, just unelite.

This tastes remarkably like Two Hearted, actually. The hops are citrusy, with a strong bent towards oranges, and other, less-sour fruits (as opposed to, say, grapefruit), and although the profile is just perfectly strong it's not really variegated. The malt is pale, bready, and it does a fine job of just barely bookending the hops. You got a touch of malt, a long and luxurious pounding of orange hops, and then a tiny little malt kiss at the end, to mingle with the lingering hop sourness.

This is a hop bomb only without the bomb. A hop hug, maybe?

Overall, delicious, remarkably well balanced and amazingly drinkable for its size. It's not *quite* elite, seeing as how there's nothing unique about it, but really it's nice to see a brewery playing it safe, for once, instead of tossing a whole pantry at me.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Another one thanks to Jetsbeer...don't know why, but I like it when there is no mention of the word "double" in the name...had no clue this one clocked in at 9%.
Cloudy mahogony in color with less than a half finger of bright white head...a fine layer remains on top and some sporadic lacing remains on the side of the snifter.
Nothing over the top in the nose...juicy fruit hops with a diacetyl twinge with a lingering nose.
The taste is real solid...glad to see this is no butter bomb. Well balanced with a strong malt presence to balance out the boatload of hops this one is carrying.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but the carbonation is perfect...no alcohol present until the last few swigs and finishes very clean.
Not overdone for the style...just done right. Possibly the best session brew for a double IPA I have tried to date.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, consider myself an IPA (or double IPA, for that matter) drinker. However, as Silver City is my kick, AND they are out of both Imperial Stout (for the freakin' year, he said with a tear in his eye as he only has three bottles left in the house) AND Fat Bastard (only for the week, but it's still hard, dammit!) my eye is turned to their other big beer, Whoop Pass.

I tend to prefer double IPAs (or imperials, what frickin' ever) as a beer drinking experience, simply because my palate seems to find them to be a more complete beer (whatever the hell that means). I've been hitting the Whoop Pass pretty goddam hard lately, and as it's now a regular tap at SC (yes kids, it's true. Even listed on their ferakin' menu), I'm thinking that this beer doesn't suck. My extensive investigation would prove that to be true. I absolutely love this imperial/double IPA. It's goddam brilliant.

Appearance: So I'm sitting at the table with my wife, and the towering 23 oz. mug of Whoop shows up. Just this incredibly beautiful, deep, gorgeous orange. I love that color. Pumpkin is really the name I'm looking for (were I to admit to watching HGTV at all, but I won't, not in this forum). So she says to me (with a good friend within earshot), "That's a beautiful color." I respond, "I'd like to paint the kitchen that color." That's the end of that, sadly. The kitchen is still red.

Smell: Oh, please allow me to worship at the altar of the blessed St. Chinook. Smells like Chinook to me, but I've not ever asked the Big Daddy himself to find out if it's true. Lordy lord, do I love that hop aroma.

Taste: This is one hoppy mofo, but it has one badass malt backbone. No overpowering alcohol flavors to get in your face, just a pleasant heavy malt presence that very skillfully balances out the hoppiness. The hops truly do kick you in the ass the instant this baby lands on your tongue, but the malts then show up subtly, but forcefull, to escort them to either side of your tongue so the sweet can peaceably occupy the middle. Winning hearts and minds, as they say (and tongues, if you knowhamsayn...).

Mouthfeel: Again, as with most of Don Spencer's big beers, I will say "perfection". Hell, I gave this a 4.5 just to avoid the appearance of homerism, but screw it. The mouthfeel in this beauty is exactly right. The weight of the beer as it sits in your mouth so perfectly compliments the malt and hop character of the beer, that it warrants nothing else. Five it is, dammit.

Drinkability: The only thing in the way of a perfect 5.0 for this baby is the 9.25% ABV. I can session it, as long as I've got a designated driver. Tonight I did (but had to stop at two). This is a magnificent beer.

Don Spencer deserves all kinds of props for his skills in delivering very skillfully crafted, insanely balanced big beers. Homeboy knows his stuff, and I wish I'd had a third Whoop tonight. It's goddam spectacular. Seek it out and enjoy it, dammit.

3.07/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

01/03/06- Received via trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness info anywhere. Did I get a bad bottle? Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden orange pour, lightly clouded. Nice 3/4 inch creamy white head with light lacing.

Smell- Nice pungent scent of pine hops amidst lots of powdered sugar. Maybe a hint of malt in the distance.

Taste- Holy crap, my tongue just got scorched by hops! My tongue is literally on fire from pine hop resin. Not in a good way either. This is by far the most bitter and one sided IPA I've had. I can find not a trace of any kind of malt until the very end as it hits room temp. When it gets there it shows a light touch of caramle malt. Just incredibly harsh.

Mouthfeel- Burning tongue and medium carbonation makes for a tough to consume beer.

Drinkability- Pass on this one unless I got a bad one. Everyone esle seems to love it. This beer just survived the kitchen sink.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle shared courtesy of weeare138 (thanks!).

Poured a clear and dark amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of oranges, pine with light malts lurking in the background. Tastes of oranges, light caramel, wood and light grass. The aromas were very hoppy with the hoppiness being softer in the tastes. Lightly sweet. I never would have guessed this one was 9%. You gotta love the name of this one.

Notes from 9/30/05

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Deep copper white head that leaves minimal lacing. Smells of caramel sweet malts, but mostly of hops; most likely a good dose of Chinook and other C-hops, spicy fruit floral blend.Big bitter taste, very bitter, lasting bitter with a slight salty twinge, hop pine resin coats my mouth and is well matched by the sweet malt and floral fruit in my nose. Good carbonation and decent body, a bomberdoes ya.

Thanks Knuckles. Review from notes.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful blood orange color with a striking 2 fingers of off-white froth. Very airy with all shapes of bubbles throughout. Whooping aroma of fragrant pink grapefruit, subtle leather note.
Syrupy, sugary, sweet malt up front with some expected grapefruit. Great lacing in the glass. Bitter citric mouthfeel. Spicy, navel orange. Sweetness on the finish. A little too sweet for me.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Golden-copper coloured IPA with strong citrus and floral hop aroma. Zesty, citrusy hop taste with a strong malt flavour to it. Good carbonation, light and pleasant aftertaste. Hoppy without being a hop bomb even though it is a a DIPA. Well crafted, good balance.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

If this one had a mouth it would scream, "drink me" the entire trip out of the bottle. Beautiful golden orange hue is coupled with a nice white head that caps off the glass like a crown. The smell is piney, and citrusy, a combination that is the recipe for delicious in my mind. The taste is full of orange and grapefruit, but somehow never becoming as awe inspiring as the appearance and smell. Now the mouthfeel is where I was truly awed. Its so thick its like drinking a shake, just amazing! Who wouldn't jump at the chance to drink this all night, so long as your tastebuds can stand it!

22oz. Bomber
Pours a dark copper brown with a tight off white head. Streams of tiny bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass keeping a thin foam blanket covering this brew

Aroma is hoppy, intensely piney and citrusy with some cattiness

Taste is rich malty sweet but then the hops coats your tongue and dries it out

A hop lovers delight very well made with a plenty of malt character to keep this from becoming pure hop juice .The alcohol was remarkably well hidden
Medium full body with high carbonation

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is really the quintessential Northwest IPA in my most humble opinion. I've had it on tap at the brewery in Silverdale and also in the bottle. As per usual, this is slightly better on tap - but really only slightly. If you manage to get a bottle of this, don't frown - you are still in for a major treat

Orange-gold coloring with a fairly firm head that lingers for a while. The color is deep and rich - hard to put a label on. This is one of those beers that's just fun to look at for a while.

Hops hops hops in the nose. Just wonderful.

One of the great things about brew from the Puget Sound area is that they don't pull their punches when it comes to flavor. This beer is just about as perfect an example of that as you'll find. Big, bracing, clean hop flavor is well balanced by the somewhat creamy mouth feel. Just when you think that you might get overwhelmed by the hops, you realize that this might be one of the most refreshing summertime beers around. I could drink this all day if it wasn't for the fact that I'd be found several hours later passed out under a clothes display at the Silverdale mall. The higher alcohol content will get to you pretty damn quick.

This beer - along with Silver City's Fat Bastard - are reason enough to make the ferry ride over from Seattle. Hell, they're reason enough to make the trip to Washington.

4.37/5  rDev +9%

22oz bomber courtesy of MSUBulldog25, thanks Brian.
Pours a golden copper in color with a nice inch of head forming on the pour. Smell is floral hops. Taste is more of the hops, very nice and inviting. I'm eager to take my first sip. Good hopfeel and taste. Not tongue wrecking, but a decent amount and well balanced for the amount of hops in this beer. I'm really digging this selection. Very good finish and very enjoyable throughout. Very good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

22oz bomb

appearance: served in my delirium chalice - autumunal amber body, forced foamy white cap with a sticky, filmy lace

smell: balance very evident in the aroma - big sweet malts, resinous piney hops, light citrus rind

taste: quite sweet - both from the citrus in the hops and the heavy malts that balance this thing out and almost overthrows the hops. Balanced with moderate bitterness. grapefruit rind, dash of lemon, pretty heavy on the booze

mouthfeel: big and sweet - not particularly how I prefer my IIPA's

overall: just ok - kind of a letdown

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Day 3 of Thanks Msubulldog25 For This Beer I Could Not Acquire Otherwise. You rule, Brian!

Pretty much a quintessential Double IPA look: dirty white head is creamy and fluffy, lasting a good several minutes before thinning and never totally disappearing. The color is a rusty burnt orange with notable clarity.

Aroma has an excellent balance. There's a prevailing toffee-heavy maltiness mingled with an herbal, minty hop character. Doesn't scream "DOUBLE IPA" the way some do, as this is obviously not about Armageddon-level hoppiness. Not in the aroma, at least...

Ooh...very nice flavor. Herbal/minty, like the aroma, but a controlled grassy astringency comes in to thrill the tastebuds, especially if you're a hops lover. They're prickly, buoyant and quite bright without being anywhere near tongue-ripping. That's thanks to a caramel-y sweetness laid down by the malt, and there's a bit of apple cider-ish sweetness here too. Finish isn't terribly powerful or long, but mint, caramel and red apple meet there and stick around just long enough to make you want to take another sip, and fast. Easy, easy.

Not as creamy as I prefer the style to be, but good enough. Fairly sticky, while in the bubble department it delivers a nice tickle to the tongue. And slick enough to make it a smooth ride.

This is a nice example of the style, and one of the most drinkable, thanks to its balance and "where is it?" alcohol presence. I wonder if all Silver City stuff is this good? [Fairly Obscure Comparison Dept.: Middle Ages X Double IPA]

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow F'ing Wow!! I was actually a bit surprised to find a review of this beer as silver city only has one location and they have no plans of expanding. The brewmaster here is phenominal. He comes out with different seasonals all the time yet maintains the core stock of beers flawlessly and entirely consistant. For anyone traveling near Silverdale this is a must stop. On to the beer at hand.

appearance: An unfiltered look. Deep Orange in color. Frothy Head that maintains its status throught the beer. VIP beers come in 22oz long skinny glass mugs and when I was done the glass was littered with leftover head. Very appetizing appearance.

Smell: Oh MY...what is that smell? hmmmm Apricot? whatever it is its DEEP and rich smelling....I smell some apricot but thats just me. It does smell strong...which has me wondering if I should have started with a gold mountain pilsner.

Taste: The first drink had every tastebud in my mouth jumping for joy. This beer uses everything including a mouthbusting initial apricot taste but its definately not a fruity beer because that quickly vanishes and is followed by a hoppy full aftertaste. This beer would win many awards but silver city tends to shy away from entering festivals. I've talked with the owners about this and they say they want to maintain its ultra micro status. hence not expanding a brewpub that has to be making tons of money. Always packed.

Mouthfeel: Full but not overpowering. It does feel like there is maybe a bit too much carbonation but that would be the only complaint.

Drinkability: This is my lowest ranking at a whopping 4. I couldn't see drinking more than 2 of these as it is a rich and decidedly powerful beer. 9% but feels like 15%. Be careful with this one. But oh how you'll want to make a whole weekend drinking these brews.

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

I love this beer. I'm local to the brewery so get a chance to sample the wares on a regular basis. This beer is great from the pour on, orangish in color and so tasty. Head is a couple inches in my 22 ounce vip mug and only fades only slightly sticking around until the last pull (avg. 7 to 8 pulls per 22 oz. mug). Lacing is as evident as year marks on a tree throughout.

This has a slight burnt citrus (Orange and Apricot) taste, floral hoppiness, and alcohol, but is blended masterfully. at 9+% it only takes a few sips to feel some warmth and find out what this baby is all about. yummm, try this on tap if you ever get the chance.

I actually look forward to Mondays, as they have a VIP special of only $2.50 per 22 oz mug. I usually have a few of these after work on Monday as they are so damn tasty. This is the best deal I know of considering the quality of all of their brews. I will review the Scotch Ale another favorite of mine soon.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Mad beer Karma to TheManicalOne for this beer. The beer came my way as part of BC-2. The beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a peachy amber coloration. The beer has very active carbonation boiling to the surface of the beer. The head was very thick and foamy with good retention. Thick streams of lacing slide down the glass.

Smell: The beer delivers a nice big citrus and pine hop smell. This is supported by a big ass sweet caramel maltyness.

Taste: The beer has an explosion of citrus in my mouth lemon and orange combine with pine needle hops. This gives way to malty caramel sweetness. This in turn gives it up to floral herbal hop bitterness. The alcohol and prickly carbonation bat clean up on the palate.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation is a bit prickly at times but not excessive. Overall a dam tasty beer and I could drink a couple of these in an evening no problem. I opened the bottle of Whoop Ass that TheManiacalOne sent me and I thank him for it.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From bottle ordered on-line.
Poured in a Belgian Scotch Silly glass.
Copper color with big head.
Aroma of grassy hops and sweet malts.
Medium carbonation and significant mouthfeel.
Flavors of roasted malts, grassy and piney hops, funky fruit rind, white grapefruit, Italian herbs...let me give this 5 minutes...
OK...head remains with mixed size bubbles...aroma is still there, with a touch of oxidation/wet cardboard. Flavors are big and bold, with a touch of funky melon fruit, biting grassy and pine sap bitterness, alcohol, mango rind. Humm...might well be better at the brewery, but in this form at this time it's bitter and rough, certainly not for the timid but beyond that, for the double IPA fan, it's not compelling.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured this 22 oz'er to a pint glass. Picked up at By the Bottle, where I was told the bottles were filled June 20th, delivered June 21st. Bought & consumed on June 25th. Doesn't get much fresher...

New high-gloss label reads: "Over 50 lbs. of Washington State Cascade and Columbus hops are infused, injected or otherwise inflicted on a single 15 barrel batch". I first tried this on-tap at 2006 Oregon Brewers Festival. 84 IBU. 9.0% ABV.

A: Bright, "new penny"-copper/orange. Very clear, with little rising carbonation. About 1/2-finger of off-white cream rests atop, fading slowly to a half-moon of film. Sticking bands of blotchy lace.

S: Exceedingly fresh burst of orange citrus, cut grass & herbs, pine resin and syrupy-sweet caramel. Wonderful balance between biscuity/bready malts and a juicy hops. Good aroma, maybe not as strong as the top DIPAs I've enjoyed...

T: Well-balanced malt/hop concoction. Malts are light sweet from an underlying caramel and hops are surprisingly spicy with zesty citrus rind punch.Ends with a very bitter conclusion, with dominant grapefruit and pine oils. Malts aren't gone in the finish, though, as there's a mild grainy sweetness, too.

M: Creamy with a hint of alcohol warming. Medium body, light to moderate carbonation. Finishes bitter, but is cleaner than some sticky/cloying version I've had, where the heavy flavors latch onto the taste buds for a very long time. This one just tails off nicely...

D: A very good DIPA, excellent flavors and good, varied hop aroma. I'm glad to have tried this one so fresh, as it's balanced and ready to sip right away. Easy to drink and definitely recommended.

Whoop Pass IPA from Silver City Brewing Co.