Humble Patience | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Irish Red Ale

The result of mystical exhortation and strange portents in the sky, Humble Patience was complex without being heavy...a marriage of many riches. An Irish-Style, deep-ruby Red Ale with tantalizing layers of flavor.

Added by stirgy on 09-02-2001

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.65/5  rDev +28.5%

This one really caught me off guard. I'm not a huge magic hat fan as I'm bothered by their "cute" names of their beers. But I got this on sale and thought I'd try it as I do like a nice Irish Ale. WoW! This is a very nice, balanced ale with just enough hops to make it interesting. Overall this would make--will make an excellent "session beer." Good drinking!

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

Nice red color good hoppy charicter a little malty not to sweet good for this style I like this a lott I will recomend this one if you have the chance.Magic hat has done it again!

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Had this left behind after my last beer "smattering". I had pretty low expectations from Magic hat in general, but this is a pleasant surprise! Poured a dark brown with the red highlights on the edges, the head was thin but persistent lacing on the glass, looks very tempting!
Smell is subtle but hoppy. Mouthfeel is medium, nice middle of the spectrum - not too heavy and not to light. And the taste is pretty spot on for a red ale. Sorry to see this one retired...

4.41/5  rDev +21.8%

What a incredible deep red color with a head that clings to the glass. Very smooth to drink with a bit of sweetness but not overwelming. Definitely a beer to try as for me a beer to keep stock of.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

(Bottled version) This is a staple in our house. Beautiful garnet red color. Biscuity/grainy flavors (mildly roasted) predominate, but don't dominate (?). Finishes dry. Unique interpretation of an Irish red, not unlike Old Nutfield Auburn.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

don't bother with the bottled version (as it's just a repackaging of bob's 1st ale, which is good in its own right, but it's not truly humble patience) and go right for the nitro draft if it's available on tap. humble patience pours with a creamy head and a dark brown appearance that is a bit misleading. there's nothing heavy about this beer. it's roasted malt flavoring is smooth all the way down. an excellent session beer.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Deep garnet color with a creamy off-white head. Aroma is of raisins and other dark fruits. A little bit of chocolate comes in the taste. Almost seems somewhat porter-like in character but without any charcoal flavor. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. I would think this beer was served on tap if I hadn't poured it myself.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

12 ounce bottle, cap states " To ail is bad to ale is good"

Nice almost fruity scent, pours a deep ruby brown colour with white frothy head that does not hold up very long.

Malty but not over sweet hops balance perfectly in the irish style red ale. very nice, very drinkable and I certainly recommend you try this brew!

This beer is currently available in Magic Hats' Night of the Living Dead" fall variety collection. (September 2011)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

"What is the cost of the thing you have lost"

This beer poured a decent finger sized tan head. The body was a surprisingly dark ruby red/brown. Almost purple in the right light.

The nose had some sweet malt smells with even maybe a hint at fruit.

The taste was rather surprising. For an irish red I was expecting something more mellow, this had a firm bitter roasted barely charector to it. Resembling a mellow stout with some subtle chocolate and coffee flavors and a slight sour overtone. A perfect balance of natural earthy hop flavor compliment the bitterness just right.

Overall I really liked this beer. I had been drinking it right out of the bottle for a while and I hadn't even noticed how dark it was until I poured it into a glass. It just goes down so easy. Another great beer by Magic Hat.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

This is a really good Irish ale with body and character!

It is dark brown with a nice whitish head. Has a nice aroma. Very smooth, malty and earthy. Slight hopiness and dry finish.

Very rich with moderate carbonation. Should be savored. One of my favorites!

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Pour: Dark clear brown, not much head, similar in appearance to Stout.
Nose:Nice chocolate and Coffee, and Plum.
Taste:Similar to smell, with a slight citrusy twist toward the end, well balanced!
Mouth: light watery and moderately carbonated, slight creaminess.
Drinkability: Very Good! Was much better than I had expected, I will revisit this.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Dark copper color, maybe better described as burnt orange. Head was full creamy, rich, and beige. Nice earthy smells, roasted toffee, some carmel, but not much sweetness on the nose. There was more hop presence than I anticipated, but very well done. Nice earthy wood flavors match with the full malted barley tastes. Almost like the taste of a scotch ale. Crisp , dry hoppy finish. Nothing lingers. Very creamy, rich, well balanced tastes. A treat to drink on tap.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured a clear and deep cherry brown and was topped with a beautiful frothy head of foam. Did someone say roasted nuts? Because they are all over the aroma of this beer. Also getting some fruity malts and roasted cocoa. This one is off to a running start. Complex aromas make it very unique. Is this a red beer or a light nut brown? As for the flavor, those same things come out, but again, this beer is lacking in malt body. A bit thin in the taste. Toasted flavors come through. With a touch of citrus hop bitterness. Complex, nutty, flavorful and light. Not bad at all, but I just wanted some more body, say like an Arrogant Bastard perhaps. Maybe I just need a little patience.

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a dark mahogany, topped with a three finger foamy tan head. Leaves thick sticky webs of lacing.
Rich malty aroma, chocolate, dark roasted malt, caramel, dark toffee.
Very malty taste, roasted, chocolate, nicely bitter, dark roasted toffee note. Almost like a scotch ale with some citrus hops.
Medium bodied, approaching full. And interesting and very drinkable take on a red ale.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Enjoyed on tap at Brew City, Worcester, MA.

Pint glass presentation. Very light tan head, super-dense foam from nitro, on a reddish brown brew, excellent nitro-style foam lacing. Good balance of medium malts with hops, very smooth, due to a combination of both nitro presentation and the brew's flavor profile. Could drink this all day, most every day.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on-tap as I did a pub-crawl in Brooklyn Heights. Stopped into the Brazen Head and - LOW AND BEHOLD - it's on tap.

I was very pleased with my selection. After looking back, I've noticed I have been regularly disappointed with my Magic Hat beers. I find them bland and uninteresting. I find the Ringwood yeast annoying. I find I become bored with them very quickly.

Enter Humble Patience. What I've realized is that Magic Hat excels at what they're best at - making great session beers that have subtle nuances. They're not trying to blow you away with bold and aggressive flavors; they're seducing you with drinkable session ales. The Humble Patience was my favorite one I've every tried from them. My sample was smooth, well-balanced, and very drinkable. One of the best domestic session beers I've had.

I've recently heard they discontinued this beer, which would be a shame if it were true. Perhaps with enough positive reviews and hype we could get them to bring it back.

Humble Patience from Magic Hat Brewing Company