Ale Of The Living Dead | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
3.8/5  rDev +30.6%

Just had this at The Gate in Brooklyn. Aged for a year, I can only assume that the overwhelming garlic-agression I'd been informed of mellows out over time. On first sip, this DIPA tastealike says "hops" loud and clear, but a surprising sweetness and a peppery burn on the finish bring to mind a certain vampire-repelling food-stuff that turns out to be the main hop replacement. A touch of rosemary shows up toward the end as well to send home the autumny seasonal appeal. I'm told this has horehound in it as well, which sounds apropos for Halloween though I have no clue what it tastes like. I would guess its the missing bittering agent I'm unable to place.

Due to the sticky sweetness imparted by the garlic, this is perhaps not the most immentently drinkable thing on tap, but still mighty tasty and a good challenge for discerning taste buds. This wins massive points to creativity and is a nice sub-in when the pumpkin-brew overdose sets in.

2.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Presentation: 1pint 6oz clear bottle, with sticker label. No freshness date. Hand bottled. The belly of my cap says "Don't Despoil the Soil."

Appearance: Slightly hazy copper/amber in colour with an off-white patchy, creamy lace head.

Smell: GARLIC!!! Nothing but pure, pungent, eye watering, raw garlic. There's also some distinct rosemary herb notes right behind the garlic. If this was food in the oven, my mouth would be watering. But, it's not. It's beer, and I am frightened.

Taste: All I can really taste is garlic, and a very strong herbal/rosemary character. Body is light. There's some malt character, some sweetness. There's also a strange, earthy, raw bitterness, but it's not a hop-like flavour, more grassy. Some more herbal notes too, ones I have yet to taste (maybe a result of the odd combination of ingredients?). Beer goes a bit dry ... The garlic & rosemary overpowers instantly. I'm really having a lot of trouble building the courage to go on with this review. My gag reflexes are kicking in strong. This beer leaves a massive garlic aftertaste in your mouth that will not go away.

Notes: Why beer god?! Why?!

Stacey @ Magic Hat warned me about this brew. "Seasoned with garlic to ward off unwanted spirits. Try it if you dare!" reads the flyer. She suggested that I imagine baking bread, fondue or enjoying it with pizza. I can't imagine drinking this without food, especially after trying.

Originally they had put extra garlic straight in the bottle, but found that it foamed too much. Made with 80% Domestic pale malt, 15% Carared malt, 5% Melanoidin malt, organic horehound, raw garlic and organic rosemary. This beer contains no hops.

Perhaps one of the most unique beers that I have ever tasted. Kudos to MH for doing something this extreme, this freagin' insane!

The morning after update: Well my cold is gone and I woke up with the nastiest garlic mouth ever -- even after drinking a Don de Dieu, a 2001 Big Foot and brushing my teeth.

Ale Of The Living Dead from Magic Hat Brewing Company