Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Feast Of Fools | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: American Stout

In medieval times, the celebration of darkness and light was marked with great halls filled with smoke and mirrors. Gilded goblets brimming with seasonal brews were lifted to lips speaking a language no longer known. The present connects the past through the brewer’s art and a beer of utter darkness is born - Feast of Fools Raspberry Stout. Gather thy friendly fools for a round and celebrate the oncoming darkness with sweet ale and glee.

Added by UnionMade on 05-08-2002

4.2

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

2.05/5  rDev -47.7%

Thanks to Rhinos00 for splitting this with me and pecorasc.

Poured into a wine glass. Dark black with a finger width of dark tan head that disappears almost instantly.

Smells of chocolate covered strawberries and raspberries. The fruit smell overpowers the malt aroma.

Taste- First impression it tastes like strawberry 7up that has been sitting out for 2 days. On the back end, I get very little malty and chocolate flavors. This beer is almost undrinkable. it tastes like a poorly crafted stout that had artificial raspberry flavoring added to it.

Although this beer tastes like flat soda, there is actually a lot of carbonation. Very thin body.

Drinkability? Absolutely not. I didnt even finish my glass- drain pour. If I received this bottle as a gift, it would be regifted.

2.63/5  rDev -32.9%

I'm sorry that I have to pan this 2009 Fest of Fools from Magic Hat. A raspberry stout that had been laying around my buddy's basement for two too many years. Time had done a number on that guy by creating a beer i can only describe as a cough medicine Jaegerbomb.

I will reconcile my review once I try a fresh one. Until then, I suggest you drink it asap.

2.65/5  rDev -32.4%

Thanks to littlebreeze for this trade.

Drank some of this at the Port 2nd Anniversary pre-party tasting.

Poured pretty dark with a nice half inch of foam. The aroma was pretty sweet with raspberry juice and some chocolate malts. The taste however was very dissapointing with barely any fruit flavors, at least not as intense as the aroma, and some "flat soda" qualities. I did detect a bit of raspberries and bitter chocolate but it just didn't work well. The mouth-feel was quite thin for this type of beer and really carbonated. That said, I will have to give this a low score on drinkability too since I had trouble finishing the sample I poured for myself.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to Mark for sending this one my way. Split three ways with pecorasc and boothbeer. Poured from 750mL bottle into a wine glass.

A- Pours a dark brown with reddish hues towards the edges of the glass. Produced a minimal amount of head with an ever so faint ring.

S- Loads of raspberries with a subtle, chocolate malt background. A bit of charred character along with a touch of cocoa.

T- Oh man, based on the smell this had potential. Everything I smelled, you can just throw it out the window. Upfront it tasted like flat, raspberry soda. The stout flavor came in half way through offering a charred, powder like character that completely clashed with the flavors. The end had a very unpleasant raspberry finish...almost like flavored nutrasweet.

M- Extremely thin, too carbonated. Almost felt like I was drinking a soda.

D- I'm glad I split this three ways, let's just keep it to that.

Overall, I think the raspberry part of this beer is not to blame. On the other hand, the base beer (the stout) is very poor. This beer just didn't work, no way around it.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

Presented in a very unique, black champagne bottle. Love the look of this bottle... Shared this bastard with pwoods.

A: Popped the cage and cork after sitting in my fridge for about 30 minutes. Pours a clear dark caramel and rests in the glass a super, dark mahogany. Massive head in my tulip glass that hangs around for a good while.

S: Sweet, caramelized malts with a unique, sour fruitiness, almost vinegar-like... Smells inviting overall. Rather light in the nose, not a great deal going on to me...

T: Heavily carbonated with big suds in my mouth as I drink. Flavors over caramel, and tart berry sweetness with a trailing sour (almost funky) vinegar finished.

M: Very light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, very happy I had the opportunity to try this unique beer. This bottle may have been old, but I wasn't very impressed (high carbonation and traces of vinegar). Would I jump for it again? Maybe...

Definitely one of the better offerings from Magic Hat.

750mL. 5.3% 2004-2005 version. Thanks for sharing Dylan! Aroma is an intense, lightly parching cherried candy and sweet chocolate, however mildly artificial. Dark black with dense foam tan rim. Cordial cherries dominate the initial flavor, in that sold at the counter, wrapped in red foil, in plastic trays, at a midwestern gas station, kind of way. Stout character takes over with a salty and pithy stout run. A medium, woody and seedy stout with dropping of cheap kirsch. Finishes in the middle.

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%

"Ship of fools on a cruel sea, ship of fools sail away from me."
- Grateful Dead

Black with dark brown edges. Thin, cocoa colored head dissipates by mid glass regardless of my attempts at a hard pour. Nary a trace of lace in sight.

Smells like a dark chocolate raspberry cordial. Tastes like a dark chocolate raspberry cordial. The raspberry is obvious but not overbearing - would have been served by a better base stout. Hardly any roasted malt, it makes me want more stout with my stout. Too clean.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

Large deceiving dark green frosted bottle that makes the bottle look solid black. Corked and caged. Poured three ways into wine glasses and shared with Rhinos00 and Boothbeer. Thanks.

A- After a few minute struggle with the cork, vigorously poured, showing a dark tan colored head. Black with brown edges when held to light. A massive amount of bubbles popping and bursting on surface of head until all is gone but the edges.

S- Raspberry domination! Certainly not multi-dimensional, showing only a little roasted character in the background.

T- Big delay between the time I poured the beer into my mouth and the time I detected any noticeable flavors. Raspberries immediately upon swallowing, followed by an after taste of raspberries and a slight roast coffee flavor. The two dimensions of this beer do not work very well together. I should note, that there are NO unintended off-flavors in this beer, it is just lacking. I think if this stout were standing alone it may have serious deficiencies.

M- The carbonation played strange tricks on me. On the way in to my head-hole, there is no sign of carbonation. Is this flat? Then when swallowed, it shows some glimmer, but its too late.
Thin, even for a 5% stout.

D- This is obviously designed to be consumed at Mach 1 Guinness speeds. However, the lack of body and desirable flavors leaves me not asking for more.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to edbeer and njdhopgrower for sharing. 750ml bottle served in my Old Stock snifter. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, this bottle was a bitch to open. Poured two shades shy of black with some ruby highlights around the edges. No head on this one. Lots of raspberry in the nose, almost syrupy. Raspberries are all in the nose - this beer is actually fairly watery with much less raspberry coming out than initially indicated, and a little bit of dark malt to round it all out. Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a lackluster carbonation. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while, but I have to say that it was fairly disappointing - another swing and a miss for Magic Hat.

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

25 ounce corked bottled wrapped in black foil received in a trade with johnnnniee, thanks for giving the chance to try this holiday stout, poured into my Russian River pint glass last night

A-Black color with minimal light shining through and some super dark brown highlights, big one inch foamy tan head that left clouds of retention, some nice lacing at the beginning

S-Faint raspberry aroma, roasted malt, some light coffee, dark chocolate aromas, also some vanilla, and weak hoppiness later on

T-Tasted like a Guinness with some raspberry puree, not much of a fruity flavor, dryness dominated the flavor with roasted marley and malt, creamy at first then got flat rather quickly, light bitterness in the finish, smelled like there was more hops than there really was, tasted better cold, could have used more fruity flavors like advertised, like nothing I have had before

M-Lightly sweet and dry mouthfeel, thin to medium body, high levels of carbonation, taste lingered for a minute or so, expected to be more aggressive

D-Could not finish this bottle by myself, barely got through a pint, one dimensional, heavy as well, ABV is average around seven percent, not too smooth

Had to try this after hearing it was a raspberry stout, would be a nice treat once and a while but I do not need to have it again any time soon, cannot wait to try Thumbsucker from Magic Hat, unique but not great, would try another vintage down the road, recommended if curious like I was

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

750ml bottle, poured into a snifter. Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this.

A: Pours nearly pitch black, some ruby tinting on the edges and on the bottom, average viscosity. Large light mocha head forms and holds pretty decent. Not much lacing.

S: Nice sweet raspberry aroma. Smells like raspberry soda.

T/M: Light roasted malts with a bit of dryness. Raspberry mixes well with the stout qualities. Tartness is light but still there. Other than the lightly roasted malts and raspberry, there's not much else. Maybe a hint of chocolate or light coffee would compliment it a bit better. Body is rather light, even for a single stout. Carbonation is lively and holds up the entire time.

D: Pretty easy to drink and definitely interesting. The 7.5% ABV isn't noticeable.

3.37/5  rDev -14%