Circus Boy The Hefeweizen! | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Circus Boy The Hefeweizen!Circus Boy The Hefeweizen!

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Unfiltered and unfettered, Circus Boy is a unique and refreshing American-style Hefeweizen. Is he a who? Or a what? Or perhaps some of both? Be amazed by the flavorful haze of this wonderful wheat beer.

Added by Jason on 02-03-2006

Ratings: 1,678 |  Reviews: 661
Reviews by PerroGrande:
3.16/5  rDev -7.6%

From an appearance perspective, I was a little surprised at the clarity of the brew - especially after the label boasts that it is "Unfiltered and Unfettered". Still, the appearance is quite pleasing. The color is light and golden, and it produces a surprising amount of foam for a lower carbonation beer.

The smell for me is illusive. I do pick up a hint of banana in the aroma of this beer. I would expect, perhaps, slightly more spice or wheat overtones from a hefe.

I rated the taste as "3.0 - average". I'm going to use the phrase "subtle" to describe the taste. One could interpret "subtle" as a pleasant karmic replacement for "weak". Unfortunately, I could be convinced in either direction. Circus Boy is certainly not a "strong" beer when it comes to taste. It does not balance overly with spice, nor with yeast, nor with wheat. It does have a curious "dry" taste that surfaces after the initial mouthfeel wears off. I pick up a slight bitterness in the lead-off taste, and the finish is fairly clean.

Speaking of mouthfeel... It is not a heavily carbonated brew, which is fine by me.

Overall, this is a drinkable beer that is refreshing. It certainly isn't going to be first on my list when the craving for a hefe arrives. At the same time, however, it is an enjoyable beer that could easily find its way into my refrigerator. This would be a good warm-weather session beer, most certainly. I don't relegate it to "lawnmower beer" status, but I could easily be convinced to quench a summer's thirst with one.

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a a cloudy cross of lemonade and iced tea with a thinner white head that had no lasting power,at first the aromas struck me as unappetizing but after a minute it was better had like a wet grain element but the lemon and slight cloviness showed up after a minute.Wheat malt flavors are large here and toasted cereal grain with the lemon and clove taking a backseat although noticable mainly in the finish.You know its not half bad I am not a huge fan of American wheat ales but this has character a little rough around the edges but its worthy of having a few on warm spring day I think.

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

Dirty wheat with a muddy ivory and very clingy head fills my weizen glass. Very cloudy. Sweet malt aroma, some spice, mild citrus. Flavor is bland, harsh lemony yeast. Very poor. I found very little substance or character in this beer at all. Mouthfeel is chalky, medium bodied, highly carbonated, and grainy. Very disappointing and hardly drinkable.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Straw color towards gold. Nice head, but recedes quickly which I am not used to in comparison to its European counterparts. Little carbonation evident.

Aroma: Bubblegum, fruits & candy. Some flowery scents but little in the way or traditional wheat aromas.

Taste: Very flowery! Reminiscent of violets. Perfumy, with some lemony hints. No traditional similarities to hefe's that I can find.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied & highly carbonated although not apparent. Smooth, crisp & clean on the palette.

Drinkability: Easy drinking. Refreshing although the perfumy flavor detracts from its overall attractiveness.

Comments: This was a bit out of the rnage of an American wheat from my point of view. The flowery, perfumy flavor made it a kind of anomaly in comparison. I would drink again if in a mix 12-pack, but wouldn't buy on its own merits.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

3.25/5  rDev -5%

The label says "unfiltered and unfettered". The unfiltered part I get, but I'm not sure about the unfettered part. The beer was a hazy yellow with a fairly small head that lingered. It had a sweet, grainy aroma. Taste-wise, it was mostly sweet, with a slight citrus flavor. Nothing too special. The bottles I had left a sour taste in my mouth, so mouthfeel was average. An OK , but not great, beer.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev +7%

Circus Boy has a cloudy light golden color with a thin head that fades out to nothing. Its aroma is packed with wheat malts and has a pleasing citrus character. On the tongue you get lots of tasty wheat malts, neutral earthy yeast and a big shot of sweet, almost soapy, lemon flavor. The palate has a nice medium body and soft carbonation, giving it a fairly thick and smooth mouth feel. Overall as part of a mix pack I like it but I wouldn't look for it buy itself.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearence - Clear, not traditional Hefeweizen.
Pour - thick head, quickly fades.
Flavor - Dominating lemon flavor.
Drinkablility - very easy.

Summary: I would buy his beer again but not if looking for a hefeweizen. Lookikng forward to other beers from Magic Hat.

2.76/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Did not like this. Kinda licoricey like an Allagash, which I thoroughly dislike.

2.98/5  rDev -12.9%

I must first note that I'm not a fan of wheats and this beer is very wheaty that said. An overwhelming wheat smell with a thick white head and cloudy pale yellow color. It has slightly spiciness that's not overwhelming. The beer starts sweet with a lot of carbonation and sweetness, and finishes spicy.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%