Ravell | Magic Hat Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
RavellRavell

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

An enormous play in one significant act, Ravell is a porter brewed with whole vanilla beans, once available whenever young William and father John deem it so.

Added by taez555 on 03-06-2002

1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

1.42/5  rDev -61.9%

One word, "blah". I thought only eggnog should have that much vanilla. It looked promising when the bar keep brought it, dark and rich looking. But all taste was eclipsed by the vanilla. It was a chore just to drink it. Avoid this beer, unless you are some kind of eggnog "junkie".

Pours a black color with a tan head. Smells of leather, tobacco, charcoal, and burnt dark malts such as bitter chocolate and toffee. Immediately im getting a coffee taste. Gritty in texture but pretty smooth overall. getting some slight vanilla undertones, pretty subdued though. Smooth and decent porter but to be honest it exhibits a lot of the same flavors as howl. Eh :(

2.35/5  rDev -37%

This beer reminded me why i'm not allegiant to magic hat's brewing philosophy. They put the added flavoring at the forefront and the beer in the rear. I love vanilla flavor, but I think beer should strive to incorporate the flavor into a balanced tapestry with the rest. This beer tastes like a good cream soda (i don't like cream soda) at the expense of hops and malt. It looks gorgeous, a midnight opacity foretells a dark rich flavor. I know I should be constructive, but the guidelines also say the style should be kept in mind. Porter? I don't taste any. The beer's only redeeming qulity is texture and color, which is scant little for a beer to go on. On a positive note, Magic Hat's graphics are the funkiest around, and the condom animation on their website is hilarious.

2.41/5  rDev -35.4%

I must say thanks to herbjones for sharing this with me.
This pourse a clear, dark brown/red color. It's transparent, which hints of a light body. The aroma is of chocolate milk, or maybe the chocolate chips used for cookies. Then I tasted it & it went straight down hill from there...
It's pretty thin & watery on the tongue with a slightly hoppy taste. It's good up front, but finishes poorly.

2.47/5  rDev -33.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a DFH snifter. What starts as a handsome tan head quickly shrinks into a wispy skim. Not much in the way of lacing, but the auburn highlights are attractive.

Subtle nose of cocoa, vanilla and roast. Thin and tangy with a watery finish, this sweetish porter misses the mark. I'm thinking the vanilla probably accentuates Ravell's shortcomings rather than hiding them. Ratcheting up the roast to create a better foil for the sweeter elements would do it a load of good.

2.5/5  rDev -33%

2.5/5  rDev -33%

2.64/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a deep amber to black in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a sweet roast, but somewhat faint. In the taste, a small caramel and a coffee roast, a bit watery and thin. A smooth and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry, and a sweet coffee like aftertaste. A bit thin, but it has nice mellow flavors.

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into a cool pint glass.

A. Beer pours dark brown with a brown foamy head of about 1 finger thick that recedes to a cap quickly.

S. I can make out some caramels chocolates and dates?

T. Roasted body is rounded out by a sweet backboard. Otherwise not much going on.

M. Thick and tangy but rather drying from too much roast.

I like this beer but don't know if I would like it anymore than as a sampler box filler.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%

@ Sunset (who now supposedly clean their lines every 17 days btw).

Black with a thin sheet of head on top. Head never really diminishes and rides down the glass sticking foam to my glass along the way.

Smells like roast malt and vanilla chocolate syrup. Mostly roast malt but a thin, grainy roast malt.

Accordingly, Ravell features thin, roast malt with some vanilla. The buttery ringwood yeast really clashes with the dessert effect and ruins the experience for me.

Choosing from 112 taps I could have found a better beer. Never know 'til you try I guess.

2.9/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Playing Fleet Foxes–Fleet Foxes

A: Pours a dark brown, near black. The only light that comes through is a slight ruby/maroon highlight when held up to the light. A finger of espresso head forms and sits for about a minute before receding and leaving spotty lace on the rim of my pint.

S: Pretty nice nose on this. The vanilla comes through just sweet enough without smelling artificial. Notes of maple, fresh bread, brown sugar and caramel. No real hop profile here, but the sweet aromas are pleasant and well rounded.

T: Nicely bitter and roasted malt flavor starts at the front of the palate, but moving back it becomes thin and watery. Flavors are lost until aftertaste when some coffee, roast and honey notes come back. Inconsistent flavors leave me searching. Oddly, in late aftertaste, flavors of black olives begin to form. Very strange.

M: Decent carbonation, but this doesn't move very gracefully across the palate. It starts dry but leaves a slick, oily palate behind.

O: I picked this out of a 12-pack sampler left in my fridge because it seemed like the most interesting offering I have seen from Magic Hat to date. It looks and smells like a nice offering, but the actual consumption of this beer falls short and has some strange properties that are more confusing than anything. I would only drink this again if it were the only non-BMC tap at a bar, which Magic Hat seems to be more often than not.

2.95/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a deep brown color with no head whatsoever. Slight lacing on the pour that dissapears quickly. Maybe I got an old one. Anyways, scent reminded me of this french vanilla coffee I've been drinking lately. But it wasn't too nice for some reason. Taste was of vanilla bean, and a lot of it. I tried to get around the strong vanilla taste and couldn't. Well, I did notice some licorice flavor in there and a slight roasted malt taste, but that was it. Finish reminds me of bacardi vanilla, yeah pretty harsh! Overall taste is exactly like rum and vanilla coke. I don't even know if I could tell the difference in a taste test! Improved as it warmed. Probably pretty good when I'm wasted (just guessing here). This one's a little too one-dimensional for me but I am glad to try it, esp. since it's of limited availability.

Thanks to mikeys01 for the sample.

2.95/5  rDev -20.9%

This beer looks good. Chocolate bronze color. Slight brown head. Retention is adequate. And the aroma is quite nice and forward as well. It smells like a chocolate shop. But alas, that is were the enjoyment ends. Upon tasting, I find big chocolate and cocoa flavors, but it is very unbalanced. It's got a little of that "Grant's" smokiness to it, but it seems very artificial to me. It's not one I'd grab again.

2.96/5  rDev -20.6%

I always want to give Magic Hat another chance to impress me, but they never do. A vanilla porter? I like new ideas, but this doesn't work so well for me. It smells and tastes very similar to a root beer/ice cream float except with more chocolate. It is a neat brew i suppose, but I got bored of the flavor before I was half-way done my pint. I don't think I'll have it again.

Ravell from Magic Hat Brewing Company