Fat Angel | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: English Pale Ale

Fat Angel, rest his soul, had a complex palate that balances the rich pleasures of malt with the crisp refreshing flavor of hops with a finish that is fresh and clean. Eminently drinkable, Fat Angel brought divergent tastes together to create a satisfyingly smooth harmony.

Added by taez555 on 11-18-2001

2.09/5  rDev -40.5%

Appears a copper brown hue with a cream colored healthy sized head, with nice even patches of webbed lacing. Aroma is band aids with some mild malt sweetness and detectable hops kind of nasty to think of let alone smell. Flavor just sucks I can't believe they tried to brew a beer that tastes like this there is a bitter sourness to it that I find just doesn't do it for me a slightly nut flavor, wow I don't remember the last time I poured out a beer. This just isn't good in any way light thin mouthfeel no interesting textures, what the hell band aids this tastes like a homebrew gone terribly wrong. Drinkability like i said it's going down the drain, what more do I need to say.

2.15/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Served in a pubglass.
Pours a dark yellow orange color with a thin, loose, white head that does not last. Light body, little carbonation.

Strong citrus smell with a moderate earthy smell and a light spicy alcohol smell.

I was very disappointed by the taste, especially compared to the many other magic hat products that I have had in the past. This was very medicinal tasting. The citrus element presented itself as a vitamin C chewable. Little to no sweetness/maltiness. Strong aspirin taste that coats your mouth in a bad way. Can't really taste any other flavors for the aspirin coating.

Poor mouthfeel and drinkabilitiy primarily due to the aspirin qualities. Finishes much too astringent without any good flavors. I was done drinking beer this day after drinking this. It seemed to take forever getting this taste out of my mouth.

2.28/5  rDev -35%

Served in a 12 oz. bottle. The color is copper, with some head. The smell is sort of musty. The taste is not very good...a very muddled hop-malt combination, a very cardboard diacetyl taste , with an even worse aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkability...why would I want another?

When I knocked this beer over and spilled about half of it out, that was probably the best thing I could have done with this. I absolutely hated the first bottle I had, and I wanted to give the 2nd a fair chance, but I just knew it was going to not be good, and I was right. A true disappointment from an otherwise splendid brewery.

2.29/5  rDev -34.8%

Decided to try another Magic Hat - I admit I was intrigued by the flashy packaging and interesting name for the brew...

I poured it into my frosted pilsner. It's similar in looks to MH's #9, but more amber in color. I took a deep whiff and smelled earthy, almost straw-like scents with light malts - wasn't very fond of the smell.

Like their #9, the foamy head disppeared immediately (Forget what color it was!) and the first sip left me disappointed. I can appreciate the company trying to come up with creative spins on traditional ales, but this didn't really impress me at all.

After the initial pour, the taste reminded me of an exteremely watered down IPA , but the longer it sat out, the more I tasted the flavors coming - but none of the flavoring really wow'ed me.

I love Magic Hats' marketing, creative copper beer taps and rugged location (Vermont), but I am disappointed about not having a beer that has blown me away. I guess I just need to keep drinking their brews until I find one!

2.43/5  rDev -30.8%

Light amber in appearance, the aroma of this beer begins with notes of caramel and English aroma hops (Goldings perhaps?), then de-volves with the introduction of some cider notes. It’s surprisingly thin bodied, with some flavors of caramel, mild fruit, and a slightly astringent quality. I didn't even finish the whole bottle. Very disappointing.

2.46/5  rDev -29.9%

Friend of mine brought a six-pack of this to a party I had. Since I've tried (and enjoyed) the #9, I was excited to give this one a taste. Poured a decent-looking body, with a average sized foam head. Color was average too, for a pale ale. Taste was a bit one-dimentional.. lots of malt coming through. The hops definitely took a back seat to the malt. Carbonation was mild. Pretty boring beer, as there are many others out there that are worth trying instead.

2.48/5  rDev -29.3%

Purchased single bottle for $1.90 from Liquor World in Porter Sq.

Appearance = Clear, light golden brown color, head fades away quickly to leave 1/8 inch lacing.

Smell = Strong malt flavor

Taste = Not impressed at all. Very bland and bitter without any enticing characteristics.Feels too watery but with alcohol taste greater than 5%.

Overall = I do not recommend this beer. It's not awful but not particularly good either.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bright coppery color with a thin head which goes to nothing fairly quickly. A really grassy, fresh cut lawn aroma. I'm having trouble getting past that. Some woody, earthy smell is there too. Flavor is just lacking. Lighter body, malts seem nonexistent. Hops are prickly and piney with a touch of citrus. They seem more bitter than flavorful. Not enjoyable to me. Disappointing.

2.53/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this on tap at the Burren last week. It's obvious: I didn't think it was all that. Golden yellow when poured, with a refined grainy aroma. Taste was like eating corn flakes. Mouthfeel was medium, but unfortunately the corn flake thing really bothered me. The nicest thing I can say about this brew was that it left decent froth rings through-out my glass. Won't get again.

2.56/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the term copper for its color. Didn't hold a head, had a bitter after-taste. I really didn't like this beer. It was bearable but nothing more.

2.58/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a seductive hazy amber/copper colour with apricot highlights underneath a generous head of creamy white foam which lasted long enough and left a good lacing.

The fun stopped here. Very timid aromas of citrus fruits some floral/herbal notes mixed in with a mild earthiness. Detected some subtle fresh hops but nothing too impressive.

A vigorous and sustained bead fed the head as I took my first sip to find that this beer had no real texture or body. A dry beer but not a clean beer. Somewhat refreshing. Slight taste of cereal tried to mask faint hints of caramel but were all clobbered by an unbalanced drying and unclean bitterness which lasted well into the long aftertaste. A mild residual sugar managed to express itself in the dying moments of the aftertaste.

Not a beer I would label as representative of other Magic Hat offerings. They are outstanding brewers but this beer falls behind in my opinion.

2.61/5  rDev -25.6%

I appreciate the opportunity to try and review this beer. It was given to me in a trade and I am grateful even though I did not personally care for the beer. I knew up front that I am not a fan of the American Pale Ale style but I have been very pleased with Magic Hat as a brewery so I was interested in trying this beer. I respect Magic Hat but I do not need to have another Fat Angel. It is not a taste that I prefer.

Appearance: A hearty pour yielded a creamy 1.5 figure head with tight bubbles but little retention. Mediocre lacing. Pours a clear light orange color.

Smell: Very citrus. Much more citrusy and fruity than I'd expect from an APA. Also yeast and bread attributes along with a strong sourness in the aroma.

Taste: Not impressed. Sour!!! Whatever it is that I don't like about Rolling Rock... it's in this too. To me it seems skunked but I'm told the do that flavor on purpose. It doesn't mean it is an awful beer but I don't care for it. It’s simply a matter of personal preference. I could not pick out any pleasing flavors at first; it was a very well blended skunky flavor. Eventually I found some sweetness maybe yeast but the malt character seemed week and then it tasted like soggy white bread that had been in the dirty laundry. Maybe its just my bottle that tasted that way but I think not. The aftertaste was actually sweet and not as unappealing.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth and pleasing mouthfeel despite being a bit thin it is somewhat crisp.

Drinkability: With a taste that is hard to swallow it is difficult to call it a highly drinkable beer. If you like the sour flavor I'm sure you would find the ABV manageable and the smooth mouthfeel lending toward a suitably drinkable beer. However if you are not a huge fan of American Pale Ales to begin with this one is not the one that is going to change your mind. IMHO.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.63/5  rDev -25.1%

Maybe I'm a little biased with this beer, but I just can't stand the Ringwood Yeast. The beer looks great - mine poured with a nice head that left a little lacing as well. The aroma was pretty good too - a thin malt backbone with a decent whiff of hops.

Unfortunately, there was the aftertaste. The beer starts out balanced and nice, but there is an unfortunate lingering harshness and bitterness, and also a dab of diacytel to follow.

The beer is medium bodied with a lively carbonation, but unfortunately, I just don't think it's very drinkable. Without a doubt, I often have a choice between this and Sierra Nevada, and I always opt for the Sierra.

2.65/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

These Magic Hat variety 12-packs keep calling my name. This offering was one I did not find to favorable...

Fat Angel into the pint glass looks great - a dark amber beer with robust highlights, good head, nice staying power, and impressive lacing down the glass. But that's about it for me. The smell was some metallic with hops, the feel was way too carbonated for my taste and the taste itself was some weird pale ale taste I can't quite tell what they blended it with. What ever it was, I did not like it. Overall, I gave it a decent grade 'cause it wasn't a wholly bad beer - certainly nowhere near macro territory, just not to my liking.

2.66/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Compliments of jwc215. Thanks, Joe!

This pours from 12oz bottle a clear bubbly amber with a good head of foam that remains for the entire session and it has good lacing.

The smell is *very* fruity and has some floral notes.

The taste is very fruity up front...mainly pear; then it gets a bit earthy and has some hop spice come into play and finishes on the bitter/dry side. Interesting flavours but they don't work together
all that well for me and I'm having a tough time finishing my glass but...I'll manage. I'm still glad I got to try it.

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

9/27/2004. I was a little disappointed with this from Magic Hat. Pours a copper color with a medium to thick white head and a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Some apricot, hops, and overall sweet, as most Magic Hat beers are on the sweet side, with a bitter finish. There are plenty of other beers from Magic Hat that are much better.

2.7/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a white, three finger-head that goes slowly to a ring leaving some lace. Nearly clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Smells grassy. Starts hoppy with some malt, finish is hoppier and bitter aftertaste. 12oz bottle from 12-pack $11.99 Market Basket Concord, NH.

2.73/5  rDev -22.2%

A deep yellow, clear ale with almost no head. Deeper than a macro.

Aroma is of light aromatic hops and a bit of graininess. I didn't find it that appealing. Just average.

Taste was slightly bitter and grainy, and it was a tad dry. Wasn't that great... I don't like the grainy taste. Fortunately it wasn't strong.

Of course, the taste being weak meant that the mouthfeel was kind of weak as well. It was OK, not really bad, just weak.

I would not go back to this beer again unless it were a free offering, or the best choice at a party.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.76/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I bought a bottle at American Beer Distributing in Brooklyn, $2. Poured into a hotel room glass, the beer was kind of disappointing. It was copper colored with minimal head, and had a smell and taste sort of like an ESB (caramel malts and a bitterness from hops but without the citrus or pine flavors I like. Oh well, it was only a bottle of beer.

2.81/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

How much do angles have to weigh to be considered a fat angle? The pour is slightly hazy but still clear with more of a copper color than amber. The pour needed a little help but good head with a rocky soft white appeal. Not much retention or lacing.

The nose is light overall but some hoppy notes come out. More of a citrus and lemony appeal up front but some floral and herbal finishing notes as well. The malt is non descript with very feint caramel touches.

The taste is also limited but more descriptive than the nose. Some generic malt flavors with a light bready taste. Mostly finishing hops with not much bittering to speak of. Mostly citrus hops with orange or pineapple up front. The herbal flavor lasts until the finishing and leaves a almost soapy aftertaste.

The body is inbetween mid and light. Some sweeter finishes but crisp an easy to drink. Overall an ok APA but needs more flare with the malt and bitterness.

2.82/5  rDev -19.7%

I was going through my beer notes and I found this one in some old notes from when I lived in NY and that was about 2 years ago now. I'll be honest I got it in a sample pack and was not a big fan. It has a dark brass almost bronze color with a bit of an orange hue. The aroma is sweet and mildly roast with some candy like tones. It has a roasted grassy flavor that is a little bit toffee like. The thing that got me was the aftertaste. There was an off bitterness to it. The mouthfeel was thin and would have been easy to knock bad it not been for that strange aftertaste.

Fat Angel from Magic Hat Brewing Company