Fat Angel | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: English Pale Ale

Fat Angel, rest his soul, had a complex palate that balances the rich pleasures of malt with the crisp refreshing flavor of hops with a finish that is fresh and clean. Eminently drinkable, Fat Angel brought divergent tastes together to create a satisfyingly smooth harmony.

Added by taez555 on 11-18-2001

Reviews: 217 | Ratings: 289
3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Very nice, even my wife thought so-- the one who usually "bleeh's" over most beers.

A= rich golden-orange color, modest head with nice lacing throughout consumption.

S= nice, a strong malt and reasonable hops scent with some fruity tones.

T= good dense malt taste with a nice hops presence that stops short of being more than lightly bitter. Some nondescript fruity evidence as evidenced by the color as well.

M= pleasant, nothing to put me off, an enjoyable after-lingering.

D= as much as I could afford-- nothing offensive whatsoever.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

Hazy, golden orange color. Slight head but with a nice lace. Cloudy and hazy. Little carbonation.

Strong, sweet malt smell but with a slight hop background. Malt dominates. Very minor apricot smell.

Strong yeast flavor, but with a malty base. Has a hit of hops that offsets the malt. Very bitter hop accent, but still dominated by hops. Three-headed monster: yeast, then malt, then hops. (And with that hint of apricot.)

Medium-body, almost a dry feel. Has a strange, ashy feel, like an ashtray. Flatter-than-normal, but an ale. A decent, somewhat fruity brew. Fruity, sweet malt with a tiny bitter jab.

4.38/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice amber orange color with a one finger head that fades fairly quickly. smell is slightly musty and fruity. burnt coffee bready taste up front with a citrus sour finish. mouthfeel light, carbonation just right. nice enjoyable beer plan to buy more.

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly of pale hops & citrus, with notes of caramel and tea, but overall the smell isn’t very strong.

T: The hops flavor comes out first, but there isn’t as much of it as the smell leads you to believe. However, it does strengthen a bit as the beer warms. The malt character is subdued as well, but it contains citrus sweetness, caramel and maybe some nutty flavor. The after-taste goes back to the pleasant hops bitterness.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Kind of tasty, goes down easy, not very filling, this is one of the better beers that I’ve had from Magic Hat, but it wouldn’t be the first beer I’d choose when I’m in the store. However, might serve as a good starter beer for those looking to escape the macro rut.

2.46/5  rDev -29.9%

Friend of mine brought a six-pack of this to a party I had. Since I've tried (and enjoyed) the #9, I was excited to give this one a taste. Poured a decent-looking body, with a average sized foam head. Color was average too, for a pale ale. Taste was a bit one-dimentional.. lots of malt coming through. The hops definitely took a back seat to the malt. Carbonation was mild. Pretty boring beer, as there are many others out there that are worth trying instead.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bright coppery color with a thin head which goes to nothing fairly quickly. A really grassy, fresh cut lawn aroma. I'm having trouble getting past that. Some woody, earthy smell is there too. Flavor is just lacking. Lighter body, malts seem nonexistent. Hops are prickly and piney with a touch of citrus. They seem more bitter than flavorful. Not enjoyable to me. Disappointing.

3.52/5  rDev +0.3%

S - 12 oz. bottle thanks to nouseforotacon for this sampling.

A - Pours a reddish copper with a slightly off white head that recedes to a thin slightly patchy cap on the beer.

S - Floral, cirtusy hoppy profile, slight malt backbone that evens things out nicely. citrus peel as well, nice.

T - Roasted undertone, slightly sweet maltiness, bitter hop character. really interesting, though enjoyable.

M - good, has a nice coating on the tongue with the sweetness and the dry bitters to finish.

D - I could do about 2 then I would want to have something else.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: A copper-orange pale ale. The head was small in height but thick and bubbly looking.

Smell: Perfumy hop aroma. Quite floral.

Taste: A grainy malt flavor balanced well with an earthy floral hopness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly course.

Drinkability: Reminds me a little of the Three Floyds Alpha King for it's complexity.

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A – Nice amber to brown, poured with a smallish head that persists

S – Carmel malty smell with some hop character, maybe some apricot or other fruity smell

T – Malt really is the predominate flavor. The hops really take a back seat, they are present enough to taste, but the lack of bitterness does not really go with the style and would have really liked some more hop flavor to balance the nice caramel malt flavor.

M – light to medium

D – very high drinkability, but not really that interesting. Could drink a lot of these beers and the one I tasted went down very easily, but considering there are so many other better American pale ales out there, why would I want to drink a lot of these?

4.52/5  rDev +28.8%

one of the better pale ales i've tried...the taste is SO GOOD, i drink until the last drop with each bottle! smells so sweet, kick ass hops, plenty of zing, but not overpowering...this beer surprised me. i will be drinking this fat angel a lot...if you like pale ales, you will *not* be let down with this choice.

peace...bc

2.96/5  rDev -15.7%

AP: Crystal clear, deep red amber in color. Plenty of activity, thin white head, dissipated quickly. Left a scattered thin lacing cover.

Nose: Nutty, semi-sweet malt

Taste: Semi-sweet malt, wheaty and nutty. It also has a bit of an aluminum, metal type taste, it's hard to nail down exactly but it's rather unpleasant.

MF: Crisp, lively, good bite but a bit thin feeling.

DA: Physically easy to drink, a bit of a chore mentally though.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amber brown colored beer, with a thin, coarse head and a light carbonation.

Smell is hoppy, with a resinous twist. Fruity like an English ale and some caramel.

Taste is slightly caramel, perfectly combined with the resinous hops. This is a bitter beer, but not overwhelming. It has a thin body, which make the beer easy to drink.

Overall not very impressing, but decent.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Lace: ok

Color:
Reflected- brown
Transmitted- brown

Aroma: good

Mouthfeel: light-med

Palate: adjusts immediately

Comments: Going from memory, but I recall that this was suprisingly good. 12 pack given to father-in-law by Tom B.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- y

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark amber with a good carbonation. The head is 2 fingers thick, tan colored and has a rocky surface.

The smell is of caramel. Also hopy.

The taste is of caramel but not toasty, very fresh tasting. Also very hopy but not like a DIPA, and quite malty, a very nice balance.

The mouthfeel is kind of thinner than most.

The drinkability is pretty good, a solid brew. MK

3.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - a hazy light orange pour, translucent with a thin off-white head that cannot sustain itself beyond a minute or so. Some nice lacing on the glass as the beer settles in.

Aroma - some light citrus at first, fading to the back as mild English yeast-induced diacetyl, fruitiness, and biscuity malts prevail. The aroma sustains itself rather well for this style pale ale and hits the mark rather well IMO.

Taste - the most prevalent things I taste are the biscuity element, the diacetyl, and some occasional alcohol (uusual for a 5%-er). These flavors rather drown out the hop side of things. Maybe if it were any stronger it would drown out the other flavors? I get just the faintest attempt at balance well after the swallow, just a bit of a hop bite as the palate dries out on the finish. The aftertaste is all diacetyl but it is not offensive, provided you enjoy an English pale. I do. I would like more definition on the hops somehow but this is still a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel - so thin that it gives the beer a watery feel despite some solid flavorings. Undercuts things a bit too much.

Drinkability - I see this more of an English/Copper ale than an APA. In that light this is a tasty beer that would make a decent session. Props to beachbum for the trade. Don't Eat with your feet (so says the inside of the bottlecap, lol).

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%

I'm always drawn to Magic Hat for their quirky packaging and I'm always disappointed when the brews don't live up to the bottles. So I wasn't expecting to be blown away when I picked up this Fat Angel, and I was happily surprised to find that it's pleasant, interesting, and quite drinkable. It pours a cloudy, ruddy orange all too briefly accompanied by tall off-white head with a faint yellow tint. Aroma is a nice mix of malt and spiced fruits (apples, oranges and lemon), though a yeasty note comes out as it warms. Are they going for homemade apple pie?

Hops and fizz kick off the taste; that's followed by chewy yeast, citrus and fruit flavors, notably sour apple and pear and even a hint of bananas. A thick but not creamy texture complements the flavors well. Finishes very dry, a little sour, with lingering hops and apples. Overall, a fun and refreshing beer with plenty of depth; just don't expect anything earth-shattering.

I had a hearty English dinner of roast beef and yorkshire pudding immediately after drinking this beer. I wish I'd waited a bit on the ale--I think it would have been a great pairing.

2.29/5  rDev -34.8%

Decided to try another Magic Hat - I admit I was intrigued by the flashy packaging and interesting name for the brew...

I poured it into my frosted pilsner. It's similar in looks to MH's #9, but more amber in color. I took a deep whiff and smelled earthy, almost straw-like scents with light malts - wasn't very fond of the smell.

Like their #9, the foamy head disppeared immediately (Forget what color it was!) and the first sip left me disappointed. I can appreciate the company trying to come up with creative spins on traditional ales, but this didn't really impress me at all.

After the initial pour, the taste reminded me of an exteremely watered down IPA , but the longer it sat out, the more I tasted the flavors coming - but none of the flavoring really wow'ed me.

I love Magic Hats' marketing, creative copper beer taps and rugged location (Vermont), but I am disappointed about not having a beer that has blown me away. I guess I just need to keep drinking their brews until I find one!

2.15/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Served in a pubglass.
Pours a dark yellow orange color with a thin, loose, white head that does not last. Light body, little carbonation.

Strong citrus smell with a moderate earthy smell and a light spicy alcohol smell.

I was very disappointed by the taste, especially compared to the many other magic hat products that I have had in the past. This was very medicinal tasting. The citrus element presented itself as a vitamin C chewable. Little to no sweetness/maltiness. Strong aspirin taste that coats your mouth in a bad way. Can't really taste any other flavors for the aspirin coating.

Poor mouthfeel and drinkabilitiy primarily due to the aspirin qualities. Finishes much too astringent without any good flavors. I was done drinking beer this day after drinking this. It seemed to take forever getting this taste out of my mouth.

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

I finally decided to try this out for myself after seeing it on the shelves of my local Hannaford telling me to drink up. Pours a pretty nice orange color. Smells quite malty. Tastes more hoppy than it's smell, citrus like hops, nice malt background. Good mouthfeel. A very pleasent beer, nothing to get overexcited about but good to have if you feel like having an APA.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

This Magic Hat offering pours a robust copper with thin snow while bubbly head and some sticky vertical lacing. Nose is more balanced than most APAs and has a bit of citrus and spice as well. Pretty good but nothing earth shattering.

Dry and warming with an initial hop texture with a nutty followup. Less bitter than others in the style. Mouthfeel is crisp and full. Almost too mild but is pleasing and refreshing and tastes nice after waerming for a few minutes as well. A good starter APA for someone not already on a hop kick. Worth a shot.

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%

This is the first Magic Hat offering that I've sampled.

Appearance: Surprised to see that there's a saying under the cap - I'm curious if it's different from bottle to bottle. Mine says "Break the cage of the digital age..." And here I am glued to the computer as I type up this review. Pours a hazy orange amber with a wimpy head that rapidly disappears. Lots of bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass.

Smell: Resinous hops, hint of caramel malt. After the glass has warmed up a bit, a little fruitiness is detected as well.

Taste: Disappointing. Lots of herbal hops bitterness up front, but comes up lacking. I now notice that the "best buy" date was last month, but I'm not sure I can use that as an excuse here. Earthy malt character toward the end. I think I'm also picking up some of that Ringwood diacetyl on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I expected, a little thin for my taste. Carbonation is fine.

Drinkability: Probably won't buy this one again. Not a whole lot of depth to the flavor, and a too-thin mouthfeel.

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%

Copped a bottle at the World Beer Festival in Durham, NC.

Poured a light copper color, thin head dissipated quickly. The whiff test reveals mild hop notes, pine and understated citrus. First sip exposes the tin mouth feel and minimal hop flavor, bitter aftertaste washes over leaving the palate clear and wanting more. This is a brew you could down quite a few of, but why, when there are many more APA's that have more hop flavor and character.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Light amber with a 2-finger white fizzy head full of big bubbles. No lacing.

Smelled predominantly of citrusy or floral hops, but was also balanced with some fruity, sweeter malt notes.

As for taste: think Granny Smith apples with just slight malt notes underneath. A hoppy, metallic bitterness lingers and coats the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: this one is light -- actually, I think thin is a better word -- and perhaps a tad bit over-carbonated.

Drinkability: If you're not looking for a lot of complex flavors and just want to drink a relatively light beer, say, on a hot summer day, then this is a pretty drinkable beer. I wouldn't serve it to impress someone with its nuances, but as a quaffing beer you can do far worse.

It'd been awhile since I'd hat the Fat Angel and it pretty much lived up to my recollection as a decent, but not especially memorable effort. Touted on the bottle as a "lighter shade of pale," that's actually a good description. I usually think of American Pale Ales as being more full-bodied, with stronger flavors all-around, so I don't think this is a good example of the style. However, if the intent was to make an American Pale Ale at about half or two-thirds the body, feel and taste, then Fat Angel lives up to its advertising.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

A - this ale pours a dark copper/mahogany brown with a huge rocky offwhite head, with tons of upwelling carbonation

S - after the initial hoppy aromas, i can detect some fruity/sweet esthers that are unplaceable to me at this time

T - again, this beer has the initial hoppiness that is supplanted with a fruity taste, that to me seems like granny smith apple peels, there is a metallic undertone present

M - thinner than i expected, but not bad, a sharp beer with a decent mouthfeel

D - moderately drinkable, kind sharp and metallic, but decent flavors make this beer worth it

3.22/5  rDev -8.3%

This pours a light amber color with a small rim of head around the glass.
Smells of apple blossoms with a drop of hoisin sauce and metallic under tones.
The taste is nothing like the smell. I’m tasting bitter apples sprinked with black pepper on the finish. That’s not all, the bitterness continues long after it’s been swallowed.
The mouth feel reminds me of drinking mineral water, thin and boring.
Over all, the smell is delightful, but to me it stops there.

Fat Angel from Magic Hat Brewing Company