Jinx | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

It’s OK to be a Wee Heavy. Much has been made of the ills of smoking. Jinx thinks there’s nothing wrong with it. For years, he stood strong with his peat-smoked whiskey malt mash. He held his head high when others made fun of his wee heavy physique, becoming a mainstay in Magic Hat’s Night of the Living Dead Variety 12-Pak. People said he’d never attain an Original Gravity above 15.1 degrees Plato or an ABV above 6%. He proved them wrong. Take Magic Hat into the next alellenium. Vote Jinx.

Added by stirgy on 12-06-1999

1.34/5  rDev -64.3%

This was one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has a chemical after taste. I love all styles of beers. I can not understand the high ratings it's gotten on here.. I had to pour 8 oz out. I just couldn't drink it. I like all the other beers magic hats has. But Wow!!!!!!

2.06/5  rDev -45.1%

12 oz bottle served in flute.

The fruity esters really hit me hard. I smelled strong peaches and caramel in the aroma. Not what I was expecting.

Nice tan head that quickly subsided.

Deep copper brown color and clear.

Unimpressive mouthfeel, with medium body and smooth and sweet. OK carbonation.

Very light hop flavor and bitterness in flavor and aroma.

Metallic flavors very apparent, copper, iron, tinny, as well as iodine. Sometime a peat smoked malt can have these flavors out of proportion.

Not sure when this was brewed but it certainly didn't age well.

Not a very drinkable beer for me, I certainly won't have another.

2.44/5  rDev -34.9%

12 oz best by Dec. 08. Served in a chalice.

Rich dark brown with ruby edging, piddly head, no lacing.

Smells of mixed nuts, tobacco, and grass. Sweet caramel malts, very musty and earthy. Complex and largely devoid of traditional scents.

Earthy tobacco taste, not too sweet. Lots of peat and a touch of smoke. Some flatly acidic bitterness. Maybe it's just that this is a Scotch Ale but it tastes "wee" bit like... scotch. Generally herbal and medicinal.

Decently thick mouthfeel with carbonation that is just a bit too sassy to fit here.

It's complex, but I didn't really enjoy it. Glad there were only three bottles of this in the Participation 12er. Below average.

2.47/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Really poor excuse for a scotch ale, tastes more like a bock than scotch to me.

2.55/5  rDev -32%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

very, very, thin to be consider a scotch ale, still not so bad for magic hat

2.56/5  rDev -31.7%

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%

I missed the initial release of this beer, which sort of sucked, but luckily there was a twelve pack left at Atlas up the street. It poured a dark brown coloration, with little heading at all. Smell had some sweet sugars, tree bark, caramel...all somewhat weak but nice overall. Taste was to be honest a bit on the sour side. I could taste some of the smokyness to this beer, but it didn't really add to it very much. Mouthfeel was also quite a bit lighter then I remember it being in recent years. One or two of these was more then enough for me. It's sort of unfortunate considering I really used to enjoy this beer. Maybe I got an old bottle or something. I'll probably give it another chance next year. Cheers

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

2.7/5  rDev -28%

"Life's not heaven on Route 7"

Hazy copper tinted dark amber beer topped by a minimal amount of off white head. Peat and some type of disinctive hop aroma. Slightly earthy, seems much like some brown ales I've had aroma-wise. Northern Brewer? Perle? I don't know. (At this point, worries about similartes to Bell's Amber and/or Cottonwood Low Down brown are surfacing.) Ahh, true to form. Taste is dominated by a woody, earthy bitterness that reminds me of eating dirt. A bit of smoky peat and malt sweetness saves it a bit. Mouthfeel is a bit harsh and grainy. Drinkability is OK. I just can't get past the dominant earthiness. Every once in a while, I find a beer with this flavor profile. The previous two similarities were mentioned above. Time to start investigating this beer in relation to the otehr two to make sure I don't make something like this. It's a solid beer; I just don't care for it. Some people like blondes, others brunettes. Well, I like the latter, and this is more like a redhead. Or maybe a punk chick with pink hair. Just not my type...

2.72/5  rDev -27.5%

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Jinx from Magic Hat Brewing Company