Heart Of Darkness | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: English Stout

Our inky-black stout had a smooth, round palate with a dreamlike undercurrent of bittersweet chocolate. This dense liquid-silk summoned hope from hibernation and balanced winter's endless white snows with a rich swirl of creamy black rapture.

Added by stirgy on 10-03-2001

Ratings: 1,389 |  Reviews: 327

Sampled tonight on 1/24/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a pitch black in color with almost a 1-finger beige head that settles down to just a thin ring around the top. Some spotty lacing is seen but not a lot actually. The aroma is of sweet roasted malts, chocolate with a hint of black coffee. The taste is even better and very so smooth! Perfect blend of tasty flavors. Perfect carbonation. No bitter or bitter aftertaste for this one! A FANTASTIC stout all the way!

4.97/5  rDev +27.1%

Appearance: Very dark brown with tan, foamy head that eventuallyl recedes to a decent amount of lace. Reminds me of coca-cola for some reason.

Smell: Smooth and malty, sweet, slight hint of hops but no alcohol, nutty, oatmeal, roasted, mmm.

Taste: Oh so smooth, roasted coffee with a malted aftertaste that lingers and begs for more. Sweet but bitterness shows through as it warms up. Extremely drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Medium thickness for a stout, minor carbonation but nothing annoying... can I say smooth any more?

The first time I tried this beer I turned to my buddy... "Oh... my... god... This may be the best beer I've ever tasted." Still holds true... this is one of the greatest stouts in my opinion and I would drink this constantly if I could... would take this over Guinness any day of the week. Superb.

4.94/5  rDev +26.3%

This is simply the finest stout made in New England. Beutiful roasted coffee aroma. Starts off a little sweet but finishes crisp and dry. Very drinkable.

4.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Big rich malty light brown head is settling so slowly above this super dark brown to black colored beer that appears to be clear if one could only see through it,

Light dark aroma of well roasted grain malts with just a hint or tow of fresh brewed coffee.

Rich dark roasted malts are the backbone of a rich tasting stout that brings with it fresh brewed black coffee and dark chocolates.

A lighter dryish aftertaste that has just a bit of the dark malt taste remaining on this full bodied beer.

I'm gonna have to try this with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream and maybe some raspberries, yup I think I just found desert. This was the perfect beer for today, I wish I could find a perfect beer everyday.

Heart Of Darkness from Magic Hat Brewing Company