Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Heart Of Darkness | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: English Stout

Our inky-black stout had a smooth, round palate with a dreamlike undercurrent of bittersweet chocolate. This dense liquid-silk summoned hope from hibernation and balanced winter's endless white snows with a rich swirl of creamy black rapture.

Added by stirgy on 10-03-2001

Ratings: 1,409 |  Reviews: 333
3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

I decided to buy the magic hat winterland 12 pack which comes with four different magic hat brands. I went for the stout first since I really like stouts and the flavors induced inside them. For a stout I was expecting a lot more flavors and this did disappoint me a little bit. It does have that nice coffee roasted stout flavor but I was expecting a better aftertaste. The aftertaste was a little bland but I do like the first initial flavor of coffee notes. This stout is a good fast sipper though because most stouts are high in alcohol and this one isn't. Overall this is a good stout but not one I would buy on a regular basis. I would prefer Sierra Nevadas Narwhal Imperial Stout.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

I poured this average beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very gark and poured a really dark head. I was hopeful. The beer did not really have much of a smell to me maybe coffee hits. The beer was smooth but I got to say for a Stout, it was pretty tasteless I thought. Good lacing was present but I prefer taste. I will not buy again.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured nice and thick, with pretty creamy head, a very nice start. Black, opaque.

S: Roast, but acrid, milk sugar, maybe a bit of hoppiness. No chocolate or coffee.

T: Strong roast, not bad, a bit acrid as was the nose. No lactose in the taste, no caramel either, but a bit sweet, not too too bitter from the roast. It's not bad, fairly one dimensional though.

M: Like the mouthfeel, medium heavy, a bit dry though.

O: A decent stout, not over the top or very interesting, but solid.

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle into long-stemmed chalice. 0913 on the neck of the bottle. i assume this is the best before date.

A: body is pretty black. head is frothy and a light brown hue. retention is great with some good lacing clumps left behind.

S: acrid roasty aroma. very acrid. smells dry. i find the acidity to be a bit off-putting.

T: starts quick. similar to the nose, the roasted malt is a bit burnt and almost stings the palate. chocolate and coffee flavor lingers into the finish.

M: definitely a mild carbonation that works well with the brew.

D: the acidity of the roast is a bit too much for me. both in the nose and on the palate. unfortunately unenjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle poured into a snifter glass.

Pours a dark black with brownish tones. Slght brownish head.

Smell is coffee with a slgith sweetness. Not a ton going on there.

Taste is dominated by the coffee with a bit of sweetness. Bitter coffee aftertaste on the finish.

Not a ton going on with stout which is surprising based on some of the scores.

Not a stout I would revisit.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%