Heart Of Darkness | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: English Stout

Our inky-black stout had a smooth, round palate with a dreamlike undercurrent of bittersweet chocolate. This dense liquid-silk summoned hope from hibernation and balanced winter's endless white snows with a rich swirl of creamy black rapture.

Added by stirgy on 10-03-2001

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Reviewed from notes.

On the pour, this beer had a thin layer of head atop a dark brown, clear body. Nearly, but not quite, opaque.

Aroma was of darker, roasted malts, with hints of vanilla and roasted barley. Some dark fruits were evident, but they were in the background.

Taste was full of dark, roasted malts, with a light bitter coffee aftertaste. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel was full, smooth, and rich.

Good marks for drinkability. Went down nicely. If I were close enough to Magic Hat, I'd get a growler for sure.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Grabbed a growler of this after they tapped the last keg for the season. Out of the glass and into another this brew was an opaque, dark brown with a wood stain meniscus. Thin, one finger head of tan foam. Aromas of coffee, milk chocolate and hints of vanilla. Flavors were similar, chocolate, roasted malt, sweetened coffee and grainy oats in the finish. Very smooth drinking but the body seems a bit light for the style. Still, a good Oat Stout and glad I picked it up.

12/19/12
Pours a dark brown/black color with a decent sized tan head that persists for a little while. Smells of bitter roasted grain with a heavy coffee type aroma. A bit earthy, tart fruit, and dark brown sugar round out the nose. The flavor is burnt sugar, tart fruit, sweet candied sugar, a hint of earth and little else. Fairly dry finish. Medium to light body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a bubbly roasty bitter mouthfeel. So either my palette has really changed since I last tried this or this beer is just not the same. I could drink this if I had to, but with so many choices these days why should I settle for mediocrity?

So a friend of mine finds some beer in his cellar that he forgot about. We have no idea how old this bottle is, but we drank it on 6-11-08.

Bottle opened with a big hiss, and when poured seems a bit over carbonated. Pours a nice black with slight brown highlights on the edges. Creamy tanish head that stuck around for a while. This beer smells amazing. Dried plums and raisins, chocolates, coffee. Taste is creamy smooth chocolate, some coffee, some fruits, a little bit of oxidation, but not horrible, and a strong roasted grain that lingers at the end. Body is medium and mouthfeel is creamy. I was surprised at how well this one held up given that its at least 2 years old and low on the alcohol side. I would have loved to tried this fresh! Yet another great brew that Magic hat wrongly decided wasn't worthy.

4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

One of my favorite imbibes from Magic Hat. Had to travel to the Artifactory to get it. Definitely worth the trip to get it.

The Heart is as advertised, dark (black). Putting the glass up to your wazoo, you get the aroma of a good hearty stout.
Taste is great, with a little more carb than a Guinness, for a small kick.
Finishes on the sides of your tongue and stay around to exhale through your nose.
I could drive back today for more of the Heart.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Back on tap (only at the brewery's store) for samplings and growler fills. Poured from the growler into a tumbler on 02.29.2008.

Pours a chocolate brown in color; near opaque with burgundy hues. Creamy, off-white head that plasters the glass' sides leaving sticky, condensed lacing. Lots of webbed lacing with good strength.

Milk and dark chocolate aromas; semi-sweet. Lingering floral-perfume with touches of medicinal notes and astringency. Caramel and dried coffee beans.

Caramel and bittered chocolate up-front followed by dark, fruity esters: fig, raisin, dark cherry. Hazlenut and coffee beans with a pleasant creaminess interact with the floral hops giving off a touch of must. The finish is dry and airy leaving a bland, caramel aftertaste.

Full in body; smooth, but dry in spots that give this stout an airy film-like texture.

This beer was a classic back in the day. Either my palate has changed since its retirement or the recipe has. Disappointing to say the least, considering how happy I was to hear of its return.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

It appears that this beer has been resurrected.

Color: Dark black color with one-finger head.

Aroma: Smooth and malty with coffee and vanilla overtones. A bit of chocolate as well. Pretty sweet.

Taste: Smooth and malty upfront. Oatmeal shows in the middle. Smooth and coffee-like in some ways. Some chocolate as well. Coffee shows up mainly at the back of the throat

Mouthfeel: Smooth and dry. Oatmeal and coffee in the finish. The aftertaste lingers quite a bit.

Verdict: I didn't even realize that this was supposed to be an oatmeal stout. It's not bad but not the best I've had. Still quite solid.

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

I've had this 12 ounce bottle sitting in my house for quite some time now, and figured there was never going to be a time where the occasion seemed appropriat enough for me to open it, so I said, the hell with it, open it whenever you feel like it, and thats what i felt like tonight. Pours a nearly pitch black color, slightly brown towards the top, with a nice white lace for a head. Aromas that surfaced were nice cocoa, milk, coffee, toffee...very truffle oriented. Taste was about as nice as it comes with a stout, caramel, milk chocolate, espresso, burnt coffee bean, cherries, tobacco...it never seemed to end on new tastes to come up with. Mouthfeel was somewhat light bodied for an oatmeal stout...but that was not a bad thing...made it more drinkable in the end. I never thought that this beer would age well, but after all of this time sitting above my fridge, I have found that it has grown to be a beer to be revered in every respect of the word. I have to admit, as I was pouring it into the H.O.D tulip glass, I felt like I was saying goodbye to an old dear friend. I have a feeling that one of these days I'll stumble upon this beer in a dusty corner somewhere, but if not, It was great getting to know it. This was probably the first stout that really got me engorged in the style. Shame on MH for discontinuing it....as close to sacriledge as you can get with beer as far as Im concerned. Cheers

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

Actually sampled and noted on 9/28/05...
Appears black with a 1 finger tan head that actually sticks around and slowly fades. Streaky lacing is left behind.
Smell is of chocolate, oatmeal, caramel, and cream.
Taste is of the same smells with a touch of butter and mild hops.
Mouthfeel is chewy, slightly sweet & robust. A tad bit thin. Slight bit of bitter hops and slick butter resound.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

I found a six pack of this at a beer store down the street from my dad's house sitting lonely on a rack covered in dust. As it wasn't my money being wasted if it turned out to be off I took a risk ;-)

June was notched on the label as the drink-by, so I assume that it was meant to be had before June 2005. It held up until the end of December beautifully, and I am very glad that I took the chance on it.

It poured a deeo black with a large medium brown head. It was beautiful in the glass. The lacing was thick and sticky too. The aroma was very roasty with strong hints of bitter chocolate, and was still very bold. The smell was wonderful!

The flavor was fairly mellow, but still delicious. Roasted grain mixed with chocolate, and mild toffee. The grain bite was very mellow and almost not there at all. As it warmed a bit of plum came out while the bitterness remained fairly low.

The mouthfeel was silky smooth, and I think it was the best feeling oatmeal stout I have ever had. The low carbonation perfectly complemented the medium body, and the smoothness from the oatmeal made it a joy to drink.

When the last bottle of this is gone I shall be quite sad. It is a shame this was discontinued.

Heart Of Darkness from Magic Hat Brewing Company