#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

3.4

Ratings: 5,684 |  Reviews: 1,697

1.09/5  rDev -67.9%

Had this from a mixed pack that my wife bought.
Looks hazy.
Smells like a dry apricot.
Flat and uninteresting flavor and mouthfeel.

I thought id give this a try since my wife seems to like it. Maybe her review will balance out my glaringly bad review.

Is the #9 in reference to how many attempts it took for them to get to this flavor profile? Maybe they should have a #10. Just sayin.

1.11/5  rDev -67.4%

12oz bottle, best by Feb 2010. Pours light amber with a small off-white head, tiny spots of lacing, maintains a weak cap.

Aroma is orange kool-aid, orange gatorade, fruity shampoo, smells VERY artificial.

Flavor is orange rind, almost like Flinstones vitamins or generic orange tums. Despite this, it feels like this is giving me heartburn. Blech.

Mouthfeel is oily, a little sticky, medium carbonation.

Pretty nasty overall, gonna go put a PBR in the freezer, this is going down the drain. Yeah this is at the end of its run, but still technically within the "best by" range. Undrinkable, artificial, nasty crap.

1.12/5  rDev -67.1%

Taste like someone put glade stick ups in the taproom. Gross!

1.14/5  rDev -66.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

This beer actually looks pretty good. Not a very impressive head but a nice golden amber color and very clear.

Take a whiff and everything goes downhill. I have never had this beer before but was vaguely aware that there was something fuity about it. One whiff let's me know that this is not going to be a good thing. The description here on the website says it'sapricot, the bottle says 'natural flavor.' I never would have guessed either. The nose is dominated by a nasty fruit smell that smells very fake despite purportedly being real. I can smell a little malt sweetness behind that but the fruit smell overrides everything else.

The taste is the same as the smell, albeit with a hop bite up front that quickly disappears. I can also taste a bit more malt in the finish, but it's still pretty much gross fake fruit flavor all the way through.

Even the mouthfeel is not good, as the carbonation bite does not blend well with the fake fruit sweetness.

Overall, I might give this beer a better score if it warned me anywhere on the bottle that it was a fruit beer, but even then the score wouldn't be much better. This is bad.

1.21/5  rDev -64.4%

Abolutly the worst beer I have ever had. The nose is like roses' parfume that becomes so overpowering when you drink it that I felt I was going to vomit after 3 sips. I am absolutly sorry that I wasted $10 on a six pack. Just horrible. The rest will be trashed. On the positive side it looks like a perfect pale ale in terms of SRM color. The mouthfeel not much here, can't feel the malt or hops. Very light and watery.

1.22/5  rDev -64.1%

Honestly, this is my least favorite beer in the world.

I first had it at the brewery. They make a few perfectly good, delightful, unpretentious beers.

Since that first trial, this beer has been heavily marketed (at least in my market), showing up all over the place. "Maybe I missed something at the brewery, where I sampled a number of beers," I thought, otherwise, why would this beer be everywhere. I had just delighted in an Aprihop, which in description might seem similar. So I ordered a draft of it.

Wow -- worse than I thought. My girlfriends reactions are often more jarring and unaccepting than mine -- she took one sniff, recoiled in disgust and said "ugh it smells just like cat pee." She was right, sort of -- I debated if perhaps the pee in question was more likely from a coyote. Certainly nothing of hops in the aroma.

Took a sip. Wow worse than I remembered. Synthetic fruity flavor (even if it is natural) -- like an apricot jolly rancher in your mouth while you drink a beer you don't like.

Left it 90% un-consumed -- unheard of in my cardholding clean-plate-club world.

Perhaps most distressing is that this seems to be the worst beer this brewer makes. I sincerely believe that some brewers should not be allowed out of their state. There is no reason a beer like this must travel near 1000 miles. Certainly they have drains to pour it down in Vermont?

1.26/5  rDev -62.9%

Pours gold with a nice head. Head retention was poor. Lacing was minimal. I generally don't like the bottle design and I think most of the sayings under the caps make it sound like a bush league craft beer.

Smells of apricot, almost like rotting fruit.

Taste is terrible. I can't even describe the after taste. I drank one of these things, thought it was bad, tried a 2nd one (I had 3 in a variety pack) and I had to drain pour it. The 3rd one suffered the same fate.

The mouth feel wasn't terrible. Properly carbonated, slightly dry finish, not bad in anyway.

It's like an apricot and rotten fruit beer. I found it to be absolutely terrible. One of of only two beers I've ever considered a drain pour. I'm not a big fan of any of the 4 beers I have tried from Magic Hat, but none of them were as bad as this one.

1.34/5  rDev -60.6%

Ick! So glad I didn't buy a 6.

1.34/5  rDev -60.6%

This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Bought a six, opened one, took two drinks, discarded the rest.

1.35/5  rDev -60.3%

1.36/5  rDev -60%

Poured a transparent fizzy yellow with a white head. Looked like an adjunct lager.

Didn't really have much smell, maybe a slight frutiness.

Not much taste a little sweetness.

Very carbonated like fizzy water. Thin mouth feel not much to it.

Overall this beer reminded me of a light lager was pretty awful.Worst beer I've had for a while.

1.41/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I've heard bad things about this brewery, still wanted to try this for myself.
Well, here goes nothing.
This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy burnt purple to ruddy brown color with a quickly dissipating fizzy head with no lacing, well, okay then, be that way, I'm trying to be fair here, easy there Tonto, no need to just die out and show me entertainment.
The smell, well, there's some burnt sugars, raisins, and overly baked bread (wants to seem like its burnt?!?!).
The taste was semi-sweet with that burnt bready to overly cooked fruits. Weird aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was about light bodied. Sessionability, hmmm...weird flavor and aftertaste makes it not seem so much.
Overall, do I have to go on? Well, I gave it a fair shot and am now thinking the joke's on me and my wallet for paying for this swill. Oh damn, look at that, my toilet just barfed it up.

1.44/5  rDev -57.6%

Light golden color with a foamy white head. Very little aroma with nothing out of the ordinary detected. Smooth on the pallet followed by a swift kick in balls. There is something like grape hi-c all over this concoction that was mislabeled as beer. If they did use hops they were wasting them.

I'll be perfectly honest. My review maybe should be taken with a grain of salt because I only drank half of this beer. The barmaid actually approached and offered to pour me something different because she could see the agony on my face as I tried to swallow this crap.

1.44/5  rDev -57.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Tantalizing label. Reminds me of fat tire ale: oxidized flat tounge feel and taste.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company