#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

3.4

Reviews: 1,680 | Ratings: 5,612
4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

A smooth, Blueberry taste that hits in just the right place, an easily drinkable ale.

Taste Rating in Words: You lay down after a long day of work on those beautifully smelling, fresh sheets, as you slide to sleep you cant help but think how relaxing and comfortable your life just became.

Had this over 20 years ago and thought it was great because I knew nothing. Tried again recently for nostalgia purposes - meh. Underwhelming.
It's a gateway craft beer that can't hold it's own against the latest and greatest. If you want to try a fruity ale I'd go with Grapefruit Sculpin or Festina Peche.

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass at 41 degrees. Appearance is a medium amber color with orange and reddish hues. The clarity of the is clear with some carbonation bubbles. The head is white frothy, and one finger thick.

N: A fruity nose with stone fruit, toasted malt, lemon, floral, and perfume and yeast.

T: fruity with stone fruit, toasted malt, lemons, floral, perfume, yeast, and a pharmaceutical note.

M: A creamy note, carbonated, and finish a little short.

O: This is an average fruit beer, I would have like to tasted more fruitiness.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The wheat/barley classic Magic Hat. Its the refreshing light summer beer thats perfect for downing as few at your local bar without breaking the bank.

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

This is my favorite Magic Hat Brew. Not particularly overwhelming aroma, balanced Hops and malt easily drinkable. Was once regarded by me as a Craft Brew but now more of Go To brew when out for the evening because it is readily available at my local watering hole even down here in Florida

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

A friend brought me a six pack of #9 from Magic Hat "not quite pale ale" in June, 2016. I had tasted this brew previously, and wasn't a fan. Great packaging though! But to make sure the purchase wasn't a total loss, I'm reviewing #9. I note that North American Breweries lists Rochester (Genesee) as a second production location now. They can produce decent beer at Genesee. As evidence, some good Blue Point beers were contract brewed there until the ABInbev takeover.

Aroma is not bad, a slight fruity nose. Taste has some poorly defined fruity character on top of a pretty good basic beer base. I think I need a "Heart of Darkness" chaser.

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

This was the beer that got me into craft beers. by my pallet now, this beer kind of sucks. But back in the day, this beer was the mack daddy. It tasted soooo good. It was refreshing, crisp and tasted like new england colleges should taste. Once in a while if there's nothing else good on tap, I'll order a #9. It brings me back.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a bottle. No flavors really stand out, but I tasted a mixture of wheat, barley, and some citrus/fruity notes. Everything seems fairly balanced, but overall don't present much in flavor. Easy to drink and is a good summer beer - as it is decently refreshing.

Kolsch-like! A little grain, some citrus.. light beer, drinkable as anything but not THAT good. Almost no bitter; a little astringent or sour. Some barley, a little malt lingers... Kind of reminds me of a Lawnmower by St. Arnold's with a little more citrus/malt flare and less grassy/pine.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

had to rate it just to bring my beer count up. slightly decent beer, clear brown. good carb, fluffy head. smell is malt. taste is peaches and apricot, caramel malt back end. not bitter at all. decent beer, nice fall back when there's nothing exceptional on the shelf. nice that it comes in cans too.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, I had never thought I'd drink a beer that tasted and smelled exactly like Honey Bunches of Oats with Peaches, but by golly I have now. I wasn't overly impressed, but it's certainly drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark gold/orangish color into a pint glass with very little head. Slight carbonation and no lacing. The smell is vaguely pale like. Initial taste is lightly hoppy but turns to a sweet and dry finish. Overall, not to impressed with it as far as a stand out but the flavor is solid and very drinkable, will probably enjoy more this summer

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

From a bottle at ChiCha Hookah Lounge in D.C. BA has this properly categorized as a fruit beer. If the label leads you to believe that it is a pale ale and you infer that it is an APA, you'll probably be disappointed. Faint aroma of apricot and not much else. Tastes like a summer wheat that has been doctored with apricot juice. Not bad, just different.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into glass stein.
A-Translucent light amber. Big frothy head that lasted, lots of lace retention.
S-Faint fruitiness, wheat, barley.
T-Initial hop bitter that endures throughout, mildly sweet grapefruit, wheat, barley.
M-Big carbonation, crisp & clean, light body, bit watery, a little astringent.
O-Very easy drinking summer beer.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear orange in color, with decent white head.
S: Smells fairly sweet, slighty wheaty, and barely fruity.
T: Very blandly sweet, but in a good way. Slight taste of strawberries. Fairly generic sweetness, with a hint of maybe pear and apricot.
M: Light bodied and heavily carbonated.
O: The sweet fruity flavor is pleasant, and I could see this as a good summer session fruit beer. However, I wish there was more character to the flavor, then just a generic form of sweet.

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a Pint Defiance tulip. The body is a clear orange with a rapidly fading head. The aroma consists of peach tea, mild caramel, mild spicy hops, and biscuity malt. The flavors are the same. The mouthfeel is bubbly with high carbonation and is low/medium bodied.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

Look - Golden amber clear with good head, No haze.
Smell - Fruity, a little apricot and a slight raspberry among a small wheat beer odor.
Taste - I happen to love fruit beer. I drink so many heavy styles, Fruit beer and IPA are my light mellow, and hot weather choices and this beer is probably my favorite of these outside of the one time or limited releases without my local feel. Apricot forward and malty back. Yummy.
Feel. Least important to me as long as it's not offensive, I can't honestly rate this but I feel lame drinking this thus my rating. Other than that note Feel like a filtered beer on the unfiltered side of scale and I am not a filtered beer guy or pasteurized beer one.

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I get this beer everytime it's available at one of the local restaurants near my bussiness... Love the flavor, really refreshing and a great aftertaste

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Looks good with a golden orange with nice carbonation. Smells of pear with a taste of hops and hint of pear, but the flavors are very light to watery.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L (4.25) - Nice dark gold, clear colored beer. Fairly good amount of fluffy, slightly off white head.
S (3.5) - Not much aroma here. I can tell it's beer, but barely.
T (3.75) - A bit of general maltiness, more like a bread/cracker. But not a lot here. There probably shouldn't be a whole lot of flavor, but I need a little more.
F (3.5) - Fairly light bodied, under-carbed, beer.
O (3.75) - I had this beer years ago, and finally had it again after being on BA. We don't get it in our area, so I got some. It's okay, and I can see how non BA's might like it. But it's just okay. I also disagree with their classification of it, but I guess I don't really know how they brew it.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter glass. 5.1% abv

Appearance- Pours a copper orange with large white head slow to dissipate. Very clear and effervescent.

Smell- Lightly toasted grain, hints of peach, light floral scent.

Taste- Grainy dry malt with a light fruit sweetness of peach or pear flavor. Crackery bread-like flavor mixes in. Has almost like a cider like finish.

MOuthfeel- Medium to thin in body with active carbonation.

Overall- Drinkable and alright but a bit lacking on the flavor. Could use a bit more flavoring. I'd barely consider this a fruit beer.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours brilliantly clear and forms a short, white, creamy head. The nose suggests caramelized bread crusts and stone fruit such as not-quite-ripe peaches. Medium body with a light-malt palate. Rather short. I find this "Not Quite Pale Ale" rather uninteresting. I will not repurchase.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is an unusual, mysterious beer.
How did they get it fruity, yet dry at the end.
Rather than never have #9 again, I think I will give it another try with spicy food, Indian or salsa, as recommended.

This was on the "1001" list. You judge that for now.

Pours a clear Amber with 1/2 finger head. Has no aroma at all. Tastes malty with a very clean finish. Okay carbonation with decent lacing. I don't see why I would get this again. Pretty bland.

Look: Golden with average head that quickly dissipates
Smell: Apricot scent
Taste: Mild Hop Flavor..not bitter at all
Feel: Light and smooth

Average beer, no surprises. Balanced, doesn't crash the palate.. Likely enjoyed most by consumers who enjoy a mildly Apricot scented ale. Definitely suitable for the IPA fan and not for the higher calorie beer enthusiast on the lookout for a bold flavor.
If you are a Quad fan..or even a Hefeweizen fan, then this beer may just be a palate cleanser. If you like pale ales, then go for it as I see no reason for this beer to disappoint the category it represents.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company