#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

Ratings: 5,744 |  Reviews: 1,711

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

2.74/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Slightly hazy golden color with a fingers worth of quickly disappearing head. Light amount of lacing.

Smell- Funky almost rotten fruit aroma.

Taste- Faintly fruity sweet flavor with a faint floral hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and smooth. Light amount of carbonation.

Overall- I was totally disappointed with this beer. The smell was one step above nasty and the flavor was uninspired. The best thing about this beer was it's appearance and even that's not impressive.

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Just tried this on a whim, and was a bit disconcerted when I first opened it. Checked my hands, and the candles I had burning, What was that perfume scent?? It was the beer, and I was thinking, oh, I'm not going to like this. I like things on the line of Fosters Green, Newcastle Brown Ale and the real Guinness stout- a touch of bitterness with some durable body. I don't like frufru beers dressed up with flavors. Glad I tasted it. The nose above the glass is strong of peach scent (not fresh peaches, more like perfume), which is pleasant, but not what I'm looking for. The taste is GOOD, with the aftertaste I like in a good ale, a little bitter, a little lasting on the tongue. The taste has a bit of mandarin orange, NOT peaches, which fits well with the body of the beer. It didn't linger in the aftertaste other than a little citrusy bitterness (which I actually enjoy, I like bitter tastes) or overcome the character of the ale. Speaking of body, a good fullness without being heavy, a little bit of zing, like soda water does. I wasn't expecting an adjunct flavor, but this one, which I perceived as the mandarin, was very pleasant. The only thing that is off-putting to me is the nose of peach perfume when I take a sip. Not fond of that. However, I will buy it again, see it as a good summer beer, and will offer it to my female friends who are reluctant to try a "better" class of beer but aren't fond of the stronger body that a good beer has. And of course, I love the wisdom of the bottle caps, but they've never topped "The devil is in the potato salad"!

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%