Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

Ratings: 5,730 |  Reviews: 1,709

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%

I imagine most of us have had this one, so I won't regurgitate the descriptives.

I believe this beer is overrated. That's not to say it's a bad beer. I first tried this a few years ago at a waterside bar in South Carolina after a long day of walking. It was one of the first American craft beers I tried and it was like a revelation to me. So wonderfully different, so refreshing and so unlike the macro-crap I was used to.

The thing is, the more beers I try, the less I want a #9. Try one after something like a Full Sail Elevation and it'll seem like candy-coated Coors. The brewery's latest offerings are much better beers. When I get one of their seasonal samplers I remove the #9, stick it in the cellar, then fire it into the cooler when it's my turn to bring the beer after the ball game, at which point it's at its best.

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%

"The significance of #9," the brewery's website says, "is that it is far better than numbers 1 through 8. Number 2 was a Bamboo Wit; #5 a Grape Dubbel; #8 a Rainforest Nut Lager. They did not sell well."

The truth is, not even the guy who created the beer knows the significance of number 9. He does know how to craft a good-looking beer, however. Number 9 boasts perfect clarity, shining a pale tangerine-almond hue while a silky white head recedes slowly. Malts make the nose at once biscuity, bready and sweet. Some earthy hops balanced with caramel nearly perfectly.

Number 9 might be like any other pale ale if it weren't for its secret ingredient...people! Actually, it's apricot. Less exciting, but more acceptable. Not-so-secret ingredients include Cascade and Apollo hops as well as English ale yeast. In the flavor, these combine in a swirl of almond, caramel, wheat bread and ritz crackers with an earthy bite that kicks off a clean, fairly dry finish. Just a touch of sweet apricot is noticeable, which is nice -- it feels good to not be overpowered by a flavor additive. A fluffy, whipped body expands in the mouth but maintains softness with mild, massaging carbonation.

Now, if you had asked me to rank the breweries I would most want to see on Arizona shelves, Magic Hat wouldn't have been on the top of that list. It wouldn't have been in the top ten. Probably not the top 20, either. Magic Hat doesn't have the draw of Russian River, the solid base of Founders, the originality of Short's. What it does have, however, is an incredibly drinkable flagship that casual craft drinkers will find delightful.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.21/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: average at best. Nothing memorable about it, but not bad.

Smell: Decent, smells like apricots. that's what they where going for, and its the beers best feature

Taste: Weak! it has very light appricot notes, but overall its a hard beer to finish

Mouth feel. Nothing memorable about this one, but its defiantly nothing good. bland and weak, its a well deserved 2

Overall: Not recommended at all, unless its the only beer on tap that isnt a AAL...because as bad as this one is, its better than miller light.

If not pass it, you can do better

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

2.8/5  rDev -17.4%

This was an alright beer, I was not too impressed.

half finger head with a light yellow color

smells of malt, I really don't smell any fruit aside from apricots

tastes of just malt

A little too thin for my tastes

Overall, my impressions are that I had a bad keg or something. I'll try it again in the future, but I won't go out of my way to do that. If it impresses me then... I'll edit my review.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

You had this beer. Write a review.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company