#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

3.4

Ratings: 5,706 |  Reviews: 1,703

4.25/5  rDev +25%

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

Magic Hat number 9

On Tap Poured into a frosted pint glass

Appearnce:

decently thick 1 1/2 finger head. Fades quickly leaving a nice light ring of head.
Color is a copper.

Aroma: Fruit, apricot, mango. grass
Very bright

Taste: Fruit hits my palate first, for sure the apricot and mango that I found in the smell which transforms into hints of watermelon. I get a hint of carbonation on the tip.
A slight peppery with a decently dry finish

Overall:
I was very surprised in this beer. I had been avoiding it for a while simply because it's a fruit beer and I usually find them to be over powering in fruit.
(my first fruit beer tasted like someone injected a watermelon with ale)
But this had all the right stuff. Fruit was there but did not kick you in the face. Good amount of layers in the flavors to keep it interesting when you want to think about your drink
but an easy enough drink to session. I could see this becoming a usual summer beer in my house.
I would like to note that After my first few sips I let the glass and beer warm up to make sure my flavor profiles where correct. Really can't stand the frosted glass thing.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company