#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

3.4

Ratings: 5,670 |  Reviews: 1,695
2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Slightly less than a finger's worth of audibly fizzy off-white colored head... Minimal retention gives way to a thin but full sheet of creamy lacing... The color is a slightly hazed pale gold... Loaded with a good bit of moderate paced carbonation throughout...

S - Very subtle all the way around... Some toasted malts... Passion fruit... Perhaps a touch of candied sugars... A vague nuttiness...

T - The taste is about what I expected... Some graininess... Lots of fruity notes... Some toasted malts... Not bad...

M - Of the lighter side of medium bodied... A slight lushness to start before turning into a bit of a fizzy mess... Even and consistent... Slightly refreshing, but rough around the edges...

D - Very pedestrian... Not a bad beer... A couple of notches above the typical BMC swill... Easy drinking... At 5.1% ABV, a couple of these could be had in a sitting, but I still wouldn't feel fully satisfied... There are better options out there...

3.57/5  rDev +5%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - 2 finger head, caramel coloring

S - The smell kind of throws me, and possibly the listing of vegetable subconciously got to me, but after the fruitiness, when I actual bring the glass up to my mouth, there is a hint of that V8 type of smell. Probably just me...

T - Labeled a not quite pale ale, it does have a strong malt backbone, with some hops bite to it. I had the the first time on draft at the Warrior Dash down in Windham NY, and kept on drinking it for the day. Crisp and dry, but more malty than a pale ale.

M - Carbonation is good, smooth mouthfeel

O - I just finished a 12 pack, and enjoyed it, but I dont see this a "must have". I dont keep a lot of beer in supply, but I am an IPA guy, so I doubt I would go back to this one often

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Cloudy golden color. Thin white head with almost no lacing.

S- Fruit up front, not a whole lot going on.

T- Sweetness from the fruit, with a little bit of a tart taste. Different than the bitterness from hops, more like fruit that is not yet ripe.

M- Carbonated and light, refreshing.

O- Not a bad beer for a hot day, but over all pretty average.

2.99/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

In a pint glass:

A: caramel brown color body, decent off white head dissipated very quickly, no lacing

S: apricot, malts

T: extremely sweet through fruits and malts, noted alcohol

M: light to medium, semi-sessionable, alcohol felt, bland and watery aftertaste and finish

O: decent for the style, I think Magic Hat did what they wanted, this is their flagship beer, but for me, probably won't come back to, honestly not that thrilled

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

3rd review from the mixed 12pack. Thought I might as well get around to reviewing the flagship beer

A- Pours a light copper/yellowish color.

S-Sweet in a big time fruity way. Another look shows this is a fruit beer, go figure

T- The fruitiness is first at bat. Apricot, apples? Weird bitterness in the aftertaste. Ok for one try, but could not drink more than that at one sitting. Do chicks like this?

M- Feels like beer

O- Like other reviewers, I"m not sure how this beer has gotten so huge. I'm not overly impressed with other Magic Hat beers, but they are decent. This is among the bottom of what I've tried from them so far.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Slight off color yeasty foggy yellow. I presume some pectin or something got in there. Head is low light. There is a bit of lacing, but nothing special. No continued carbonation.

S - Oh how odd. It's like pepper and meat. It's....a pastrami beer? Wow, this is a new one.

T - Hmm tastes match the smells. Not quite "on". My mouth is most confused at this juncture. Salty but also leafy and with a teeny tiny sweet malt aftertaste. No skunkyness or horse blanket. I don't think it's a bad batch. I think someone did this on purpose. How odd indeed.

M - Fizzy and tingly with effervescence. Some of the spice comes back to play a bit but then leaves the party.

D - Hmm a memorable experience that I shan't repeat soon. Chalk this one up to experience and life lessons.

2.28/5  rDev -32.9%

Had a 1oz sampler at GABF. This was an amazing event this year. Well worth the trip to Denver. Thanks for the condom at the event. I quote "if you knew what we paid for those things you wouldn't trust them."....NICE....

Lets just say about this beer. Why? Why did I feel compeled to try this beer? Why did they make this beer?
see through yellow
fruit smell rolling through.
Apricot taste but burnt a little.
The burnt leaves a nasty after taste.
I headed for water after this beer.

Sorry guys just not my beer.

1.49/5  rDev -56.2%

Magic Hat's flagship beer....really?

This beer is relatively clear, well carbonated and leave some lacing. It smells like a sour with apricot notes dominate. It isn't sour...it has spices, some malt notes, and well more apricots. The flavors here don't mix, they don't work, and they are a pass. I really don't see why this beer is made and even fruit beer drinks I imagine would want different fruit flavors.

Just a complete pass from a brewer that isn't great to start with.

1.22/5  rDev -64.1%

Honestly, this is my least favorite beer in the world.

I first had it at the brewery. They make a few perfectly good, delightful, unpretentious beers.

Since that first trial, this beer has been heavily marketed (at least in my market), showing up all over the place. "Maybe I missed something at the brewery, where I sampled a number of beers," I thought, otherwise, why would this beer be everywhere. I had just delighted in an Aprihop, which in description might seem similar. So I ordered a draft of it.

Wow -- worse than I thought. My girlfriends reactions are often more jarring and unaccepting than mine -- she took one sniff, recoiled in disgust and said "ugh it smells just like cat pee." She was right, sort of -- I debated if perhaps the pee in question was more likely from a coyote. Certainly nothing of hops in the aroma.

Took a sip. Wow worse than I remembered. Synthetic fruity flavor (even if it is natural) -- like an apricot jolly rancher in your mouth while you drink a beer you don't like.

Left it 90% un-consumed -- unheard of in my cardholding clean-plate-club world.

Perhaps most distressing is that this seems to be the worst beer this brewer makes. I sincerely believe that some brewers should not be allowed out of their state. There is no reason a beer like this must travel near 1000 miles. Certainly they have drains to pour it down in Vermont?

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Darker opaque golden with a finger of head.
Smells like a barn full of hay, honey, candy and apricot. Points for being different and interesting.
Well, it actually tastes like hay (yes, I know how hay tastes). Grains, water and bitterness. Not a great combo.
Soft and lots of bubbles with a medium body.
There is just too much going on in too many different directions. It has some interesting flavors and smells but they just do not come together for me. It is not bad, but too different to really like.

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

A- pours a transparent golden color with a white head about one fingerwidths with average retention
S-sweet apricot. Not much else
T-Same as aroma. Has apricot up front with a very bland aftertaste. The hops balance the sweetness I guess, but it seems very muddy and has no distinct characteristics.
M-light bodied average carbonation.
O-Meh, I've had this beer quite a bit but just got around to reviewing it. It's not the worst beer in the world, but definitely doesn't showcase what craft beer has to offer either.

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours caramel brown with a decent head that dissipated very quickly into a thin ring around the glass.

S:Apricot and malt with a little wet dog?

T:Malty goodness up front that moves seamlessly into a fairly strong fruity flavor with a pleasant apricot finish. Not too much hoppy bitterness, and not too much cloying sweetness. This beer has very well balanced flavor.

M:Lots of carbonation but not too thin.

O:I really enjoyed this beer. I have seen this everywhere, but never got around to trying it until now.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

While this style is said here to be a "fruit beer," fruit beers must have a base style before the fruit is added. This beer seems to have characteristics that place it well within the bounds of an American Amber Ale or an English ESB. It's fruitiness and lighter than amber color leans more towards the ESB.

It is a slight hazy orange color with a thin white head. The aroma is of caramel malt, fruit, yeast. There is some faint sour aroma as well. The flavor is incredibly sweet up front (tastes like candy and cherries). There is just enough hop bitterness to kill the sweet for a clean finish. It has a medium body, not too carbonated and has a bit of cream.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Honey gold in color, small white head.

S - Smells very fruity, pears kinda. No hop aroma to speak of.

T - First, there is a nice fruity flavor, followed by some slight hop flavor, and then on the back end there is lots of what tastes like spice of some kind, almost medicinal.

M - Medium, not to heavy or light.

O - An interesting beer. I have had it a few times, and it's gotten old, but it is a go to in the summer when there is nothing else available.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company