Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

#9 | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

Ratings: 5,730 |  Reviews: 1,709
3.73/5  rDev +10%

A nice ale, pours with a nice very light amber color and a thin head which quickly dissolves.

The smell is that of a typical microbrewed pale ale, dominated by apricot,. but with wheat and hops fairly present as well.

The taste is fairly crisp, with enough apricot to give a pleasant fruitiness, without excessive sweetness. Just enough hops to give a slight bitterness, and enough wheat flavors to be vaguely reminiscent of a hefeweissen. The mouth feel is fairly dry and light.

In general, I don't care much for fruit beers, but the folks at Magic Hat have done a good job applying to apricot sparingly---enough to give a decent flavor, but not enough to overwhelm the underlying ale flavor. Quite drinkable, and rather enjoyable if done in moderation (alas, of all the fine Magic Hat brews, this is the only
one that seems to have wide availabilty on tap)

A good summer beer.

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Where have all the flowers gone? I knew where, after drinking this beer.

Like honey in color, no head, the overwhelming taste for me was of a sweet, flowery concoction. I really couldn't taste that much more.

I think that I could enjoy this in very, very small quantities, as a little goes a long way. An entire pint is too much of a flowery thing.

Very sweet.

pat

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Clear yellowish gold (very very light amber), some sticky head that doesn't linger. Fruity aroma mostly from the yeast. Surprisingly dry, which is its best feature. That hop quality really brings out the best possible flavor. Not at all bitter like many hoppy beers, but pleasantly dry, refreshing, crisp, all the while maintaining a sweet/tart fruity character that should appease the cosmo and sangria crowd. If you don't like apricots, I wouldn't worry about it because their presence is minimal. If you don't like fruit beers you might want to try this anyway, since you are going to find plenty of American ales that taste just as fruity from the Ringwood yeast. Still, it is very strange that this has become Magic Hat's biggest beer; I guess the sweetness and fruitiness appeals to a large cross-section of people. For a better introduction, and more "beer-like" beer, look to Blind Faith or better yet Heart of Darkness.

4.02/5  rDev +18.6%

Very fruity, apricot aroma, with just a hint of wheat. Hazy orange in color, with a thin, quickly dissipating head. The combination of flavor and mouthfeel struck me as a bit fruit-soda like at first, but grew on me as the beer warmed. Apricot dominates the flavor, of course, but the wheat is definitely noticeable, and adds a very satisfying dryness to the finish, along with a somewhat grainy aftertaste. I'm definitely drinking this in the wrong season -- it's not a winter beer. Crisp mouthfeel and dry finish would make this a great appertif for a summer barbecue.

2.73/5  rDev -19.5%

This was a little below average and one of the beers I do not often get when thinking of Magic Hat. Sadly most of my friends know Magic Hat for this beer. The beer poured light with a white head that reminded me of some macro swill pours. Both the smell and the taste were overbearingly apricotish without any real complexity. It was also very watered down. I feel that #9 has been left in my bathroom as an air freshener.

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%

#9 pours an apricot yellow amber color with a white head that quickly dies to a ring around the glass. There is some lacing on the glass. The aroma is slightly fruity and sweet with some very faint notes of malt.The taste starts with a light maltiness and some carbonation tickle on the tongue. It finishes with a light watery fruitiness and a hint of citrus hops flavors. The aftertaste is the first sign of true apricot flavor balanced with some malt and hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium to light with some crisp carbonation.
Overall I would call this beer a bit on the wishy washy side. It would be light and refreshing on a hot summer day but it doesn't go far enough in any flavor direction. It is slightly watery, not very hoppy, not very malty, and essence of apricot is pushing it. If it is going to be an apricot flavored beer then let us have some apricot. If the apricot is to be a mystery flavor (as I guess they want it to be) then bring the malt or the hop flavor to the forefront a little more. IMHO this beer is just to neutral and average.

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

This may be the first beer that I ever drank back in highschool. I liked it then. Now? I still like it. I'm more of a fan of darker beers so I wouldn't normally consume this, but I just cracked a bottle from the 9pack I bought my girlfriend. I do like apricot so therefor I do like this beer. One is enough for me tonight, however I'm still a fan of the #9.

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a clear orange gold, with a thin but persistent white head. Leaves quite a bit of lace down the glass. Aroma is of apricot and yeast... even though I don't think it's a wheat beer, it reminds me of many wheats I've had. Flavor is very well balanced, beginning with wheat and malt and a finishing with a bit of a sour apricot. Medium bodied, and very smooth, dry, and drinkable. A very good fruit beer! Thanks to Lupe sending this one my way!

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Not a big fruit beer drinker, I hedged on trying this. Quite glad I did. The fruit flavor did over power the dryness of the beer. It kind of made you pucker with each sip. A truelly remarkable beer in its own rite.

3.89/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours as a very light blond forming a nice thinly laced head. Fruity aromas dominate the nose; berry among the strongest with an accompaniment of wheat. Great taste for a fruit beer. Berry flavored with a taste of apricot. Dry and light bodied, very effervescent. Finishes crisp like an ice beer.

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

Honey-orange in color with little to no head. The first time I had this was about four years ago and I was very impressed. Fruity and sweet are the first things that I notice. Not a bit Fruit Beer Guy but this is good. Everything is well balanced from the fruit to the malt.

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%

Nice head full rich,sweet aroma goldencolor with a orangeish tint
crisp body clean refreshing fruity taste not to sweet I don't like peach and I like this beer! Small hint of hops smooth fruity aftertaste highly recomend this one!!

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

Hazy peach-ish color with a low head. Very nice apricot aroma and flavor but not too overpowering. Has a good malt backing and is medium bodied; suprising for a fruit beer - very nice. Would assume little to no wheat present.

A great summer beer and has certainly been one of my favorite fruit beers (close to Pyramid Apricot but I still prefer Pyramid) !

4.05/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a golden color with nice head, that leaves lace clinging to the glass. Apricot and peach aromas hit you right away. Nice mouthfeel. Light, slightly hoppy and not overly fruity with some apricot flavors. Balanced nicely for a fruit beer. Magic Hat products are now on my list of beers to pick up. A very refreshing brew and easy to drink.

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

Golden color, nice full white head. Super sweet aromas, smells like inside of the standard Marriot fruit basket from arms length. Closer inspection uncovers subtle hop aromas. Full of fruit goodness. Noticable apricot taste hits, then more subtle raspberry, and even some slight crisp apples. Not fuzzy, syrupy and slick like some other fruit ales. More a crisp dry hoppy induced finish. Very easy to drink, very tasty. A true summertime treat.

4.09/5  rDev +20.6%

This is not a beer I would have enjoyed or even tried a few years back because of the OBVIOUS fruitiness smell that hits you in the face as soon as you get it. But now, for some reason, it interests me. The beer has a nice golden/almost red color with a decent head that didn't seem to last too long - not much lace either. I found the beer very drinkable, especially with that smell close behind. The taste doesn't last long, and at the end it almost hints at being watery - maybe its just me. But I noticed it in the bottle as well. Overall a fun beer.

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a nice golden straw color with a decent slightly fizzy head on it and not much lacing. Smell is of sweet apricots and not much else. The taste starts off with a strong apricot flavor and then transitions into the odd, but enjoyable ringwood flavor before going somewhat bitter at the end. The brew is slick and has a med/light body which makes for some good drinkablity. I never used to like this beer when I tried it in the past but I am definitely thinking it would make a great session brew nowadays. Thanks to Bierman9 for the sample.

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%

the first of the magic hat beers i sampled, and i was impressed. it was smooth and fruity, and went down great. plain and simply it was a job well done with a fruit beer. not too much apricot, and a good solid lager to make it just right.

4.09/5  rDev +20.6%

Excellent beer! Very appealing color and the fruity smell is present but not overpowering. Tastes delicious, and the apricot flavor is excellent. Not too strong, so it still tastes like beer. Hopefully I can find this in Southeast PA. It rocks my world.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

The appearance is clear pale with slight orange refractions also. Very little head although some lacing is observed. There's a unique smell to this one. Some type of berry. Juniper or boysenberry. Something like that, but pretty nice. I'll guess juniper as I seem to remember this aroma with the Rogue Yellow Snow ale. This is a good tasting beer. Light-Medium body. Flows smoothly over the tongue. A nice little bitter bite. But it doesn't seem to be coming from the hops. Maybe the juniper? again. There's definitely a dry aftertaste with this beer, but it is a welcome one. Leaves you longing for more.

Thanks to Davo for the sample.

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

This beer is just heavenly. I am yet to taste a beer from Magic Hat that I did not like. Great golden color, fruity aroma, sweet (but not overkill) taste.Great blend of Apricot. A perfect beer to compliment spicy food. I love it with Buffalo Wings.

4.4/5  rDev +29.8%

This is an extremely drinkable fruity pale ale. Very smooth melded flavors of malts, hops and apricots. Great party and BBQ brew.

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

I really like this brew. Great golden color with nice head that clings to the glass. The apricot aroma smacks you in the face from the moment the bottle is opened. I didn't think that I would like fruit beers but this on is alot of fun to drink.

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

I was excited to see the M.H. beers finally availiable in a store near me. I picked up a six of the #9 (they also had Fat Angel) and rushed home, put the beers in the fridge & saw on the back label that it had "Essence of apricot" added. I was a bit dissapointed, not being the biggest fruit beer fan, but said what the hell, I can't let it go to waste. It's actually not that bad, not too sweet with a nice apricot/peach/pear nose. It's a bit light in body...maybe because it's brewed with a bit of wheat in it. As I drink it, it's becoming more pleasant to drink, but I don't think it'll be a repeat purchase.

4.03/5  rDev +18.9%

First off, I'm not much of a fruit beer man. I actually brought this home for my wife. But then hey, it's beer, so I had to try it. It's a nice looking beer, golden, with a touch of orange. You can definitely smell the apricot, but it's not overwhelming. The apricot is also present in the taste, but it's balanced nicely with a bit of wheaty sweetness and just a hint of hop bitterness. I can see myself drinking more of these...

Oh yeah, the bottlecap: mine said "Don't yap when you nap."

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company