Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Roxy Rolles | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

As the leaves line the trees with colors bright, the Autumnal Amber Ramble comes into sight! Roxy Rolles pours in her wake foliage fallen and a perfect pairing of malt and hops.

Added by indiapaleale on 10-13-2006

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a translucent darker amber color, with a smallish yet sticky head. Aroma involves hops, and that's about it. It's very herbal and crisp. Holy hell! Hops domination in the flavor, too much for my taste actually; mainly because there's no balance whatsoever. Any malt character is almost nonexistent, and the bitter puckering hop character is way too strict, without any of the preferred flavors I like from very hoppy beers, such as citrus, herbal, spicy stuff. Sadly, I am stuggling to finish this brew. I'm sure some hopheads will enjoy this, but if you like a more complex hoppy beer, seek other choices.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

poured from bottle into pint glass.

a- copper, ruby, depending on lighting. very clear. nice thick fluffy head, lasts a while but leaves little lacing.

s- smells like a bitter hop bomb, grapefruit

t- very bitter, very hoppy. some citrus, grapefruit

m- crisp carbonation. medium body.

d- this beer is very very bitter and hoppy. if thats what you like... buy it. its a little to overwelming for me. ... i dont know what the ibu rating is but imo its more bitter than hop stoopid which says 102IBU right on the bottle. overall a pretty good brew, i wont buy it again.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Am I chewing a resin bag? Hops mellow out a bit after the beer breathes for a little while but just a wierd, biting hop flavor that does not linger at all. No residual oils. Only lasting flavor is a mild malt bittersweetness. Poured a red-stained brown in color with a slight head that evaporated to a thinner veneer. Medium body that thins out the deeper into the glass I find myself. The shiny hop flavor was a bit too much and not true to the style. Novel take but not sold on this beer.

2.82/5  rDev -25.4%

Even with a gentle pour I could only fit half of the bottle into my imperial pint. Very frothy off-white head, somewhat sudsy. It was a good 3 fingers thick a solid minute after the pour. The color is a bright and clear red tinted amber. Great lacing is left behind.

A very hoppy nose, but decreases substantially once the head dissipates. There is a nice caramel maltiness left behind.

It is slightly bitter in the beginning, but nothing overly impressive. Pretty bland if you ask me, maybe it was a bad batch/bottles I'm not sure. A dusty caramel flavor dominates the palate.

I thought RR to be highly carbonated but still held onto some creamy characteristics. A lighter medium bodied beer that finished a little bitter.

I have had this beer before and didn't remember it being so blah. But hey, I have developed a much greater appreciation for craft brews, so maybe my palate has evolved and I now expect more from a "hoppy amber ale". It didn't quite meet my expectations...so I couldn't rate it any higher.

2.84/5  rDev -24.9%

I was excited to find this "hoppy amber" ale, my first from Magic Hat. I was sorely let down.

A: 2+ fingers of a yellowish, tan head over a dark amber and ruby. Spotty capped retention and some lacing.
S: Heavy yeast aroma. Really heavy. It smells like sourdough that is ready for the oven. The aroma is also hiding a metallic note, before becoming an overpowering malt bomb. I may be finding spice, but I can't be sure.
T: Hmm. Spicy, but I can't name specifics. Peppery, just a bit. It's really perfumey from the hops, which is nice. The taste is roasted, as are the residuals. There's a lingering bitterness hanging out in the way back of my mouth. Really bready malts, a tad fruity, meanwhile totally bland. Does that make sense? It seems like the flavors just aren't working together, and it makes me want to say, "meh".
M: Light to medium body, heavy carbonation, and tons of residual stickiness that happens to be more malt than hop.
D: I was looking forward to a fresh, hoppy amber ale...as that's what I was promised! This is super malty and actually a bit hard to finish. But I bought a 6er and I will drink the rest.

2.91/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I drank some Roxy Rolles in a winter mix pack from Magic Hat. Needless to say i wasn't impressed. The flavor is way too overwhelming and forces you to take your time drinking it. Certainly not a easily drinkable beer. I kept having to switch in between with the other beers in the pack. Not sure what yeast they used but it was way too dry and had way too much body. Try it once and then leave it.

2.95/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Cold 12 oz bottle poured into tapered pint glass. Beer pours a reddish-brown amber with zero head.

First sip is sharp and carbonated, with a chalky English hop bitterness. Citrusy and well-tempered, but mostly mild and uninteresting.

Why is this so highly rated?

2.95/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer as part of a mix pack that I bought in Burlington VT. Bottle is marked for best by February (I had it in December).

Poured into a pint glass. Toasted marshmallow color head that last fairly long and has some good lacing. Cloudy appearance with a reddish brown color.

Strong hop nose to this. Even though I believe that it doesn't fit the style. You can smell that the hops are fairly fresh smelling and strong.

Flavor follows the smell. Strong hops with very little sweetness. Full body.

I am a bit surprised by this beer. Seems like it will be a very malty brew but isn't at all. Almost tastes like a dark IPA its so hoppy.

If a friend offered me one I wouldn't turn it down but I can't say that I would seek the ends of the earth for it. Over all an okay brew flavor wise but not very indicative of the style.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Brought back some Baltic Thunder from Victory the other weekend and ended up with a bottle of this in a trade. Thanks DG.

Pours a clear, perfect amber. The exact color in between red and brown. There’s a half finger of head that quickly disappears leaving some large bubbles and some nice thick lacing.

First nose was a large floral bouquet of hops. All the notes similar to pale ale traits. Unfortunately, can’t get any of the traits from the amber ale. Seems this Hoppy Amber Ale is a little more hoppy then ambery.

Characteristics in the taste are similar to a pale ale too. Something is off in the aftertaste, sour is the only way to describe it. I get a split second of caramel sweetness up front, but then it’s overpowered by hop bitterness and the sour aftertaste. Not enough balance to call this an amber ale.

I thought this brew was ok and it made a better pale ale then anything else. The combination of the other characteristics didn’t shine through like I was expecting though.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Bottled poured to pint glass.

A: deep cloudy brown color, 1 finger fast thinning head
S: very hoppy, earthy, roasted malt, sweet
T: very hoppy, smoothes to roasted malts, earthy amber, smokey, some caramel
M: decent, initial hoppy bite, smoothes out, good aftertaste
D: so-so

Not something I'll reach for again, but decent beer.
Comparable to Clipper City's - Small Craft

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Pours a clean amber color with a small white head. Aromas of a sweet malt and a small hop presence. In the taste, a dry hoppiness and a balance sweet malt. A bitter and somewhat watery mouthfeel and a dry hoppy aftertaste. A nice big hoppy presence, but not much flavor, yet easy to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -21.4%

In all respects an average brew... wasn't blown away by this one and wouldn't purchase another sixer again... Wasn't crazy about Magic Hat's Circus Boy offering, and this one really didn't do it for me either... all in all, a mediocore brew which wasn't entirely poor, but not outstanding either... The appearance was a dark brown copper color which poured with no head, even after swirling the last two-thirds of the bottle... The smell was somewhat bland... basically just about average... the taste was peculiar... hard to describe but a little medicinal... the mouthfeel and drinkability were okay but nothing to write home about... this beer tastes sweet and has a slightly bitter aftertaste... an interesting brew to sample, but wouldn't spend another $8 bucks on a sixer... Worth a try if you are a fan of Magic Hat...

Roxy Rolles from Magic Hat Brewing Company