Odd Notion - Participation Lager (Autumn 2008) | Magic Hat Brewing Company

good
Odd Notion - Participation Lager (Autumn 2008)Odd Notion - Participation Lager (Autumn 2008)

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

A Pre-Prohibition Lager brewed with corn.

Added by Brad007 on 08-08-2008

3.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 50 | Ratings: 61
2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

From a bottle - Pours a light clear pale with a small almost non existent head. Smells of some spices and light malt. First sip is surprisingly bitter in Hillary sort of way. Very light bodied... has the backbone of a John Edwards. Not worthy of my vote.

2.41/5  rDev -31.1%

A: Pours a light amber with roughly a one finger head. There are many strings of fine bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: Smells lightly of grain and malt with a slight floral hint to it.

T: There is a background of malt, but there is a dominating hops bitterness to the taste. The bitterness is very pronounced in the aftertaste as well.

M: Feels light and a bit airy from the carbonation.

D: I'm generally a lager fan, but the bitterness from the hops was a bit much for me. One and I was done. If you're a fan of hops, this would be a good beer for you.

2.51/5  rDev -28.3%

A pint on tap at Eli Cannon's. Listed as Magic Hat Pre-Prohibition Lager.
Clear gold, with a light dusting of head. Good clarity and color, I thought. Spattered lace on the glass.
Not much aroma aside from lightly floral, spicy hops. Maybe a little doughy malt sweetness, but pretty light in the scent overall.
The flavor opens with an empty vacancy, feels cold and spritzy, but nothing else. Light malt presence as it sits on the tongue for a moment, doughy more than anything else, moving into floral, citrusy hop bitterness with a bit of a sour taste in the end. Not sure how well the hops work with the vapid maltiness. Their presence feels blunt, obtuse if you will, compared to the Jessica Simpson-esque mouthbreather maltiness. Relatively light overall. I didn't go for a second glass.

2.66/5  rDev -24%

Original Rating Date:
September 28, 2008

Pours what you expect from a pilsener, but with a better head than expected. I've never been a big fan of the pilsener but Magic Hat does well with this. Subtle fruit notes, I think some citrus (lemon, grapefruit). Super drinkable. Not my style but a good effort.

2.74/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting beer for sure...pours a cloudy bright yellow with a nice fuffy white head..aroma lends some bready notes...taste is big on a lemon like flavor (hops?)...adds a sourish (not in a bad way) flavor and feel.

Not really what I was expecting (which is not unusual with MH)...feels more like an american wheat ale strong on the lemon drop elments..

Not bad but nothing I would buy again..

2.85/5  rDev -18.6%

I remember drinking this right before I went to go vote in the 2008 election. I felt that it was fitting for the event about to take place. This beer is pale yellow and has a pretty good head on it. The flavors had some pretty decent hops in it but in the long run it was still a bland adjunct lager. The smell was a bit off to me, kinda smelled a little sour or something. Either way I think this beer could have been a little better but it was still drinkable.

2.86/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

"It's trippy to be a hippie"

Pours yellow with a slight bit of haze and a sticky, frothy head. Sweet corn and veggie aroma with some dry grain and yeast...not the best smelling thing in the world, but acceptable for what it is. Husky grain and rough, spicy hop flavor. A touch of metal. Not really my cup of tea to be honest...it's kind of funky. Crisp, dry, and not watery.

Average in most aspects, but it's not something I'd ever vote for.

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

What other beer should I drink for election day?

Appearance: Clear, orange-yellow body, ever-so-slightly hazy, with a thin white head. Head dissipates quickly, leaves no lacing.

Smell: Very sweet, malty. Strong "American Lager" corn aroma. Not complex, but decent.

Taste: Malty beginning, sweet middle, dry, somewhat bitter aftertaste. Slight notes of hops. It's mostly clean but a bit cloying.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than expected, but still goes down smooth. Low (but not nonexistent) carbonation.

Drinkability: A decent American Macro, but like all American Macros, it suffers from a lack of complexity and just a general "sameness" inherent to the style. Drinkable, but I'd go for a good Brooklyn Lager over this one every time. (Of course, I can't currently get those in Kalamazoo, so....)

3.17/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Church Brew Works shaker, Participation Lager is a clear gold with lots of lazy streamers forming a large, fluffy off-white head with impressive last that leaves heavy lace. Man, I've really had some nice looking beers tonight, for the style, I can ask for nothing better.

Smell is grainy and sweet, with some fresh, herbal hops.

Taste is ok, a bit metallic and sharp, there is a hint of corn pops cereal flavor that frankly I wish was more developed, rather then the corn sugar flavor that dominates (e.g. I'd like a tad more depth). Fairly bitter, with a vanishingly clean finish. Not a style I enjoy or drink hardly ever, but something about the smell/taste as it first hit's my lips incites a gag reflex, reminding me of guzzling cheap lager in college. I'm not really sure if it's just this beer or the style, but after the first few sips it went away.

Mouthfeel is dry, some what crisp, but with a bit of a slickness too it, not the lightest body per se though.

Drinkability is ok, it is what it is, seems rather run of the mill, perhaps a step above cheap swill, but it still reminds me of such. I would not be able to drink this to fast, the taste would back up on me, even through there's really not a lot of flavor.

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%

Part of the Autumn Box...12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Golden yellow with a thick white head, about 2 fingers... Nice lacing.

S - Sweet malty smell. Citrus smell, Hint of Hops

T - Wow! There is a lot of hops. This brew could pass as a Pale Ale not a Lager, sorry to say I'm not a Pale Ale or Hoppy Beer kind of guy and this beer to me is very hoppy.

M - Medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation.

D - Not my type of brew, but it is Magic Hat, I have to give them all a try...

3.31/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle from the fall participation 12-pack.

Body is a nice hazy straw color, pours with a petite white head that is dense and has average staying power.

Smells of corn and (even though the website lists Columbus hops) fresh noble hops.

Taste is very crisp, herbal hops, with a firm, dry malt base. I believe the 35 IBUs. Slightly ashy with some pepper. Finish is very clean with lingering bitterness.

Thick mouthfeel for the style, the syrupy body and prickly carbonation complement the hops.

I don't know why they added corn, but this is pretty interesting. The hops profile makes this worth tasting, although I'd prefer more a little more sweetness and don't really feel like another one. A hoppy macro lager?

3.31/5  rDev -5.4%

I picked this up at Quick six in West York PA sampled Decmber 1st - taken from notes
Poured chill into my Stein
A - A hazy golden w/ a snowy cap of 2 fingers w/ lots of streaming bubbles

S - somewhat metallic aroma w/ subtle cooked veggie(dms) and mildly grainy aroma.

M - A very effervescent feel - fizzy and almost sharp w/ nice grain elments and touches of hop spice for balance.

T - The hop flavors are up front w/ hints of floral and spice notes, the next taste is a biscuit-like malt w/ mild sweetness. Slight hoppy citrus tastes are lemony w/ suitable malt accompaniement. The malt flavor is enhanced by the yeast and there is a hint of woodiness. The flavor doesn't seem affected by any adjunct.

D - a very tasty magic hat brew. I could drink several of these without the need to switch gears. The refreshing quality and flavorful hops add interest to overall drinking ability factor. I enjoyed this lager.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

12 ounce bottled notched best-before January 2009.

Pours transparent pale gold. A huge 2-inch white head slowly recedes to a film and light lace. The initial fresh grassy aroma is somewhat upset by the sharp tang of oxidized metal. The flavor is more rounded and mellow than suggested by the smell. Lightly toasted grain dominates the palate. Honey and grass notes linger at the edges. The finish develops light hop bitterness, but that is eventually overshadowed by copper and cloying cooked corn. All available carbonation was apparently consumed in the initial pour. The resulting body is overly thick, unnaturally syrupy and listless.

Meh. It came in a Magic Hat sample pack. I wouldn't make an effort otherwise.

3.36/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a a hazy gold with a 1 finger head that hangs around for a good while for a lager. Nice lacing

S: Smells of grains and slightly sour malt, though aroma as a whole is somewhat lacking.

T: Mildly hoppy at the end, but nothing challenging. Overall flavor leaves the pallette rather quickly. After all, its a lager.

M: A little too carbonated, sort of thick bodied for a lager.

D; It drinks easy, but its not my favorite lager. Actually, my fave is probably High Life, and I wouldn't pay lots of money for this either.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pulled out of a variety case.

Well if Magic Hat set out to make a craft-brewed macro-style lager (and I think they have), they succeeded. The aroma has pale barley and cooked corn, while the flavor has a bit of yeast-driven sweetness and light bready malts. The flavor is full, the body is still thin enough to make this a throwback beer, and it's clearly an adjunct lager. I guess it's good beer. I might say it's like PBR, but cleaner. You can really taste the ingredients here.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

A - A golden yellow...almost a little hazy...white head that disappeared quickly

S - Hard to describe...I get a malty smell...but maybe a little bit of hops as well

T - Very surprised after the smell...I got a nice flavor of hops...almost an APA taste...a little bitter after taste

M - Went down smooth...well carbonated

D - As I said I was surprised with this beer...I enjoyed it but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a favorite

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured a slightly-cloudy copper with a lingering single-finger head. The smell is malty with some hops that hint at what's to come. The taste both starts and ends with some piney hops with a little bit of malt in the middle and a surprisingly clean finish. The mouthfeel is a little slick with some find carbonation. Not sure I would grab another one, but I shouldn't have a problem finishing this one off.

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a surpisingly hazed golden hue almost hefe like in nature, large billowing thick chunky head forms above the rim of my Sam Adams half liter krug. Aroma full of herbal hops, mineral water, and light toasted malts with ample amounts of flaked corn standing out. Flavor has enough hops to keep the mild corn sweetness at bay, solid strong hop bitterness with herbal and citrus highlights. Almost like kettle cooked popcorn in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied bubbly carbonation that does tickle the back of the throat pretty well. Overall a tasty beer that doesn't redefinte anything but has enought hop bitterness in a pre prohibition lager to keep things interesting.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured a cloudy gold with a substantial sudsy head that settled slowly to a film. Mild aroma, tea-like hops with a corny undertone. Taste is crisp, clean, surprisingly bitter. I wouldn't call this an "American Macro" -- it has too much character.

I don't get what the hell it has to do with politics, and I'm not a big fan of encouraging the ignorant to "get out and vote". I think they should stay home.

But like I said, that has nothing to do with this brew, which is pretty good.

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A - Yellow/golden with a slight haze, darker than most similar lagers. A half inch of head rises and falls quickly, leaving nothing. No lace.

S - Bready, biscuity malt provides the backbone for a huge spicy, grassy hop aroma. Nothing amazing but not bad either.

T - This brew feels like some kind of hybrid between a decent macro lager, an all malt lager, and a bit of German pils. The malt and corn has a very mild, but unique sweetness, likely a direct result of corn being used. Mid to late palate the brew bitters up a little bit, with an indistinct spiciness and slight herbal quality from the hops. Aftertaste is bready and slightly bitter.

M - Lots of carbonation, but not overdone like the typical BMC product. Body is approaching medium.

D - These flavors (or lack of) coupled with a bigger beer character and level of quality aren't my thing; it's an inbetween that I'm not likely to ever crave. Either I need the pale fizzy or I need something altogether different. Still a good beer, but not something I'd seek out again.

A: Hazy light gold color

S: The only thing I can pick up is a little floral hops.

T: The smell doesn't prepare you for the wonderful taste. A light malty start that finishes with hops. A nice little bitter finish at the end. Not too much though.

D: This beer was quite yummy though. It reminds me more of an APA than a lager. The hops is noticeable, but it doesn't affect the drinkability for me.

Although this was a good brew, I probably would buy a case of these. I have other favorite lagers that would beat this one out.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pilsner malt scent along with some fruity yeast esters. It's dry with a clean lager aroma; low hops. The taste is decent as well. It has a smooth pilsner malt flavor with quite the bitter finish. It goes down easy and finishes clean with a residual bitterness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a pretty good beer, although they should cut the hops back some. It throws off the balance of what would be a good drinking lager.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orangey-gold body with a bubbly white head, but it soon departs.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with a distinct scent of floral, spicy hops. Distant note of fruit in the background.

Taste: Pale malts with a light hint of toasted grains. A single, solitary drop of honey provides some sweetness. Spicy, floral Saaz hops with a medium bitterness that holds beyond the finish, even. Finishes dry and quite crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Potentially in the pocket of Big Bitterness, the Participation Lager makes as much sense as picking Palin as a running mate.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got it out of a MH taster a friend picked up for the debate (seemed appropriate to be drinking a beer with Uncle Sam on it). I will say it was better than I expected, although that's not really a hugely ringing endorsement. Not terrible to look at, although the head was weak and there was no lacing. Aromas were light and malty. Flavor's are really fruity - I got a fair bit of apricot and some citrus in there (and there was an occasional, off, peanut butter flavor as well - it fortunately only peaked through every once in a while). Body was medium, good carbonation. Overall, not too bad, and an easy one for drinking.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light golden color, with about 1/4 inch of white fluffy head that stays throughout the beer.

The nose is of sweet malts and some toasty floral hopps.

The taste is mostly the floral hopps and some grain. There is a slight alcohol taste.

This is light-bodied, crisp, with good carbonation.

Very easy drinker, this is a very good macro, one of the better ones I've had.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast