Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009) | Magic Hat Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009)Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009)

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by thekevlarkid on 01-22-2009

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Odd Notion pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a very small fizzy white head on top. The foam dissolves to a ring around the beer leaving no lace on the glass.

The aroma reminds me of a hefeweizen. Mainly citrus notes of orange and lemon, with perhaps a hint of yeast/bread mixed in. Each sip of this light to medium bodied beer is soft on the palate. Carbonation is light and effervescent with a firm snap on the tip of the tongue.

The taste is like a Belgian Wit. Orange and lemon citrus up front, blended with crisp pale malt and a hint of bubblegum. At the end mild grass hop bitterness finishes off the sip. Once gone the citrus flavor lingers on the palate.

This is an easy drinking beer with a nice flavor. It reminds me of a crystal wheat with some a touch of hefeweizen thrown in. A great beer for a summer day.

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Clear, bright and golden color. With little head retention.

S- Smells like a fresh poppy bagel. Odd Notion has some green earthiness to it. With a small hint of citrus in the background.

T- Odd Notion has a hard upfront poppiness which is followed up by an Agave taste. The aftertaste has a malty and bitter hop taste.

M- Thinner medium body, with a good fitting carbonation.

D- A very different tasting beer, its flavors are make it hard to pound one right after another.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Grabbed both the new twelve packs the other day as I had realized that there were 5 of the 7 beers in there that I have not had, and that was good enough for me. Went on an epic magic hat tasting last night and went through them all. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 06/05/2009.

Golden straw in color with a big fizzy white head on top. Light peach look to it left me a bit concerned from the start. Then I reach in to get a whiff and there is almost nothing there. Light citrus maybe, hint of grain, but really rather light and dull, a bit dissapointing if I am being honest. Light flavor as well, light fruit, touch of spice, but really rather too light and overcarbonated leaves me lost and looking for much bigger flavors here. Goes down like water, but the taste is far too light to really be enjoyable.

Overall not terrible, but forgettable, I am not sure where they were going with this, but it missed the mark for me.

3.73/5  rDev +6%

I read the poppy agave pilsner and was thinking the worst. But I have to admit, this was pretty good!

Pours out a clear golden color with a decent size head.

Smell was on the lighter side which consisted of citrus (probably the agave), light spices, and grassy hops. So far so good I guess.

Taste was that of a pilsner, but with some sweet twang going on. Very interesting. The poppy and agave give it a very interesting mixture. The hop profile with the poppy do give it a sharp taste, but it isn't overwhelming in any way. Quite decent!

Mouthfeel was light to medium with quite a bit of carbonation. Has a creamy texture also.

I have to give them credit, this is a good brew. Lots of interesting mixtures happening in this beer, but it's all in a good way. Give it a try.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Picked up last Saturday at trader Joe's in Cary. Kind of strange season for a spiced beer but I am a bit curious. Pours a light straw color with a foamy head that doesn't last long. The nose is grainy with slight notes of citrus and spice.

Strong crystal malt flavors backed with noble hops and a lot of yeast, reminiscent of a Belgian. A finishing dose of herbs adds some astringency and complexity. Not really my cup of tea here but instresting and consistent with the style as I understand it.

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

This is a unique beer, it kind of reminds me of a Belgian Wit. The appearance is yellow and almost completely clear. It poured nicely with about 1/4" of head and has moderate carbonation. The aroma is of malt, grain and alcohol. The taste is nice crisp, slightly malty and bears a hint of I believe coriander. There is also a slight sweetness in the taste. The after taste is of alcohol and also what I believe is coriander. This is a highly quaffiable beer that would go perfect on a hot day.

3.8/5  rDev +8%

I had this "Randallized" (over hops) so this affected the flavor; keep this in mind when reading my review.

Pours a clear golden amber with a fine-bubbled and rather persistent white head. Aroma is crisp and rather fruity, with a hoppy undertone that was doubtless due to the added hops. Flavor is crisp and has more than a hint of banana; in this instance it had considerable hoppy flavor and slight bitterness. Texture is a little thicker than other pilsners I have tried, smooth and lively.

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Golden in color... very clear... about 1 fingers worth of head that disappears quickly.... Leaves little to now lacing,

S: Strangely I'm smelling some agave, but I'm getting a smell like guacamole or maybe baby food green beans.... very strange....

T: Thank god it does not taste how it smells... very bitter right up front... then comes the poppy flavors with a lot of pepper in it... the aftertaste has a hint of green bean in it... not very pleasant tasting overall.

M: Pretty light, carbonation is not to heavy.. so the mouthfeel is pretty good...

D: Not a big fan of this one.... I love me some Magic Hat, but I can live without this one....

Thanks Magic Hat for pushing the boundaries.... I may not like this one... but I have to give it to you for trying different things.

3.46/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a rich golden color with a fingers width of head that thinned out and lightly laced as I drank.

Grassy smell, but not really too much of a discernible aroma. Had a thin but clean crisp mouthfeel, no lingering after tastes. Tasted hopsy with a little twang of bitterness from the poppy seeds. Starts off bitter and just tasting a bit off.

It was okay, but not really something I'd drink regularly.

3.09/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a shaker glass.
Golden in color, clear and a decent head retention.

Smells of nothing. Very light floral nose as it warms.

Tastes rather bitter mostly, with a bit of light fruit at times. Mild and reminiscent of a lager. The poppy element adds to the bitterness, and just a tad of sweetness at times. Some malt and yeastiness is noted.

Easy drinking and light. Not much here to dislike but lacks a solid character.

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a ligth golden yellow color and a short white head and minimal lace. fruity bubble gum slightly sweet smelling nose. a light taste of green apples, pepper, spice, i really liked the taste. light to medium body with a crisp carbonation. easy to drink, i could have this beer all summer it just tasted right for me.

3.38/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in a mixed 12 pack from Green's on Buford in Atlanta.

Pours a clear light copper color with a one-finger white head that recedes quickly into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of pilsner malt with grassy hops. As it warms it sweetens up a bit. I'm not 100% sure I could identify poppy aromas, but I'm fairly certain I'm not getting any.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Pilsner malt with grassy hops up front that carry on to a crisp bitter ending. The hop flavors linger a bit too long. As it warms I feel like I get a hint of agave, but I may just be looking too hard.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's got a good thickness, though the carbonation is a bit off and isn't as clean as I'd like in a pilsner.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without much problem, but I'm not necessarily excited about the prospect of another.

Overall I was hoping for a bit more from this beer, but it's not terrible.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear gold with two-finger head that stuck around awhile and left some lace. A grainy, earthy hop smell with minimal malts. Sort of tasted like a bland pale ale. There is a herbal tea-like taste with some veggie astringent tastes that you might in find some cheaper beers. Basic sweet malt are tucked away. A easily drinkable beer and quite relaxing with on a hot day but not my first choice.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear golden hue with a two finger white head that settles to a thick foamy cap. Solid lacing is left behind.

Light crisp grain aromas along with light poppy seed.

The poppy seed is very detectable in the flavor, which are dry and almost have their own toasty characteristic. The malts are light, adding a slightly sweet base. The hops give a mild herbal bitterness.

A decent beer, although the poppy is a slight odd flavor to find in a beer (perfect for the series though), and maybe lowers its drinkability a bit. A decent beer, worth a try.

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - crystal clear light amber with a thin, soapy head. Dissipates quick and leaves little lacing

S - The first time I smelled it, I got the distinct odor of horse manure. But further olfactory investigation yielded a spicy, skunky hop aroma. Still not great, but bearable.

T - Tastes like it was brewed with vegetables. The poppy is a tad kicky and the agave is apparent, but there's no definite direction to the beer's taste.

M - Watery body, slightly fizzy. Meh.

D - The ABV is low enough and the body is light enough, but the finish is unpleasantly bitter, which made this far less drinkable. Sure, i could finish this one, but I would not want more.

Overall - I'm not sold on it. But alas, it was trying something new. It didn't exactly work, but it was a unique idea, and could potentially be a better beer with more tinkering.

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Was really excited to try this based on the description of poppy and agave. Lid says "Be true be you." Ok then. Poured into pint glass.

Pleasing sweet floral smell. Almost like a triple would smell. Good start. Appearance is very clear, BMC yellow.

First tastes are offensive. Bitter but hard to get any other flavor.

But a few more and I keep wanting to drink more to figure out what that taste is I'm getting. 20 minutes and 12 oz later, still can't figure it out, but maybe clove flavor, something sweet. I could drink this for a session. A fair pilsner.

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured a nice looking golden yellow with a small white head

Has a very floral smell with some hops and citrus mixed IN

The taste is also very floral with a bitterness mixed in the end kinda tastes like if you fermented roses and tulips not real impressed

The mouthfeel was fizzy and light the taste kinda ruined the drinkability of the beer just not a very good floral taste.

3.01/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a pale yellow similar to macro, fluffy white two finger head, sinks halfway then refuses to leave, awesome lacing.

Smell is of light sweet malt extract, lager yeast, the agave does shine through but it is a pretty nondescript sort of honey/chlorophyll smell anyways. Slight spice to the nose.

Taste is of lager yeast mixed with slightly acrid bitter plant esters, not all that impressed overall, very lacking for something that seems to be a odd ball sort of brew, seems to me like they just wanted to use the two ingredients and thats where the actual planning stopped.

2.96/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Poured a light bodied yellow sun color. Thin line of carbonation in the head. Not much lacing but had a slight haze to it.

S- I noticed a very present woody aroma mixed with what I have to guess was agave and poppy seed. But since I dont know what either of them smell like alone its just a educated guess on my part thanks to the label.

T- Had a spicy tang in the first sip. I say spicy because im not sure how to explain what happened to my taste buds. I clean freshening bite of hops and reminded me of pine trees.

M/D- Good sipper but faded as I continued to drink it. Not going to be a repeat for me.

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

A) Golden color. Pours with a quarter inch head then settles to the outside of the glass. Active and visible carbonation. Some haze to the body.
S) Not very aromatic. Has a slight pilsner-esque smell.
T) Yeasty, just a slight orange taste. Mild sweetness. A little bitterness in the aftertaste.
M) Crisp and refreshing.
D) A decent beer. This would make a nice summer's day brew.

3.54/5  rDev +0.6%

Medium pale ale color, clear through to the other side,

Smells good, nice faint fruit hoppy smell with the definite aroma of poppy seed.

Taste is different from what I had expected the first time I drank it. There is a strong bitter bite, with poppy present. Nice change of mood beer if you are tired of drinking overly hoppy ipas and darker beers. Very unique

Mouthfeel is pretty light, medium carbonation .

Drinkability not bad, to round this beer out.

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

A: A pale yellow that reminds me of dry grass, thin layer of head, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Crisp and dry, very lagerish, some very interesting but very subtle aromas, I smell the agave but if it didn't say agave on the label I would have never have figured it out - 4.25, T: Loads of bitterness that seems to be beyond the bounds of hops alone, some sharp almost astringent flavors, a little on the side of pine - 3.50, M: Light-bodied - 3.50, D: A surprisingly enjoyable beer, always nice to see brewers out there trying some new things - 4.00

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

A-clear with a good head...poured next too a #9 it looks similar in color but with much better head and lacing

S-light and crisp a hint of the poppy/agave combo very clean

T-poppy hits hard imo fiance thought hops in a blind taste but when told it had poppy it becomes apparent...good overall refreshing and unique

M- the lingering poppy aftertaste hurts the feel of the beer as you drink it..initially good...ends just ok

D-great for a summer day or to sip at an outside bar in the heat
refreshing and different from your average taste

2.19/5  rDev -37.8%

12 ounce bottle, 5% ABV, best before end of June 2009. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a clear golden/orange color with a small off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing, either. To me the beer smells like a typical macro lager, like sweet malt, adjuncts/grain, and also has a slight vegetal aroma. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell appealing either. Unfortunately the taste is much worse. It tastes like a bad pilsner beer, it tastes very bitter (and not in a good way). That's it, it's just a weird bitter flavor that's not appealing at all. Actually, I can taste a little bit of grassy/spicy hops, but the beer in general just doesn't taste good to me. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery at all and it is crisp. Drinkability isn't good, but then that's mostly because I don't like the taste of the beer. For every good beer like Roxy Rolles that Magic Hat makes, they make 3-4 beers like this that I just don't like. I wouldn't drink this again. I'm lucky I only bought a single bottle, I couldn't imagine having to drink more than one bottle of this.

1.72/5  rDev -51.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color with a frothy white head. Actually decent lacing compared to most Magic Hat offerings. Thumbs up.

Aroma: Pardon my French, but my initial reaction was that it smells like cat piss. I'm trying to put my finger on it, reminds my of my green beans I grow in the summer, a sort of green vegetable (peas) aroma.

Taste: Somewhat like cardboard with a stale bitterness aftertaste. Not at all pleasing. I'd rather lick stamps for an hour.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good carbonation and not overly done.

So, to sum it up, very nice appearance and mouthfeel but the taste and aroma are a completely different story. I applaud Magic Hat for trying different things with their Odd Notion series, but did they actually taste this one prior to sending it out to the public? This may be the first time I've actually thought about pouring a beer down the drain. I'm not going to and will finish it but buyer beware!

Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009) from Magic Hat Brewing Company