Wacko | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Wacko is the liquid song of summer: Crisp like the morning, cool like the evening and quenching all day long. Pop the top and set your summer loose. Wacko is a delicious summer beer with a big malty aroma, a subdued hop bite and a clean, slightly sweet finish.

Added by thekevlarkid on 02-28-2009

2.76/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a very red color, nice gimmick, but I know beet sugar won't do all of that; decent head but almost no lacing. Very odd and weak scent, hints of hop, malt, and veggie all competing, but none of them are strong at all. Decent taste, probably would have been a nice pale without the addition of the beet sugar which really blanded everything out. Goes down fine.

2.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from the bottle into my Yazoo Hefeweizen pint glass.

A- Rather shocking bright red color with a nice two inch head, that was pink. It certainly was odd looking, but kinda fun at the same time. Turns out it has beet sugar in it.

S- I don't notice much, maybe grains

T- Taste much like a lager. I don't know if it was because of the color but it reminded me of beets somewhat with a grain-like malts. There is a odd end, could be hops?

M- Rather light.

D- I guess I was a little disappointed. Its not bad, but maybe I wanted something different. Other than the color, it taste like a lager. A decent lager. Not what I wanted in a summer beer, at least today.

2.55/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pink color from the beet juice with a small head and a thin lace.

The aroma of grains,malts and light hops with a touch of yeast.

The taste starts off sweet then light malts and some mild fruit hints. Low on flavor and hops.

The feel is light body and low carbonation. Smooth with grains in the finish. A really light beer.

Notes: This did not work for me as I could not get past the flavor.Not the worst of summer beer just not my ideal summer seasonal.

3.81/5  rDev +34.2%

A: Yes---it's pink.

S: Dry maltiness up front; not much hop aroma.

T: Goes down a bit bubbly, but there is, I find, a nice, dry, almost citrusy finish.

M: Maybe a bit too carbonated, but since it fits no style, who's to say?

D: I don't know, I'm an hophead and a homebrewer, and I think this is an excellent summer brew. I'm not sure why there's such disgust and vitriol in the other reviews. I've bought it 3 times already while here on business in Boston, and my wife has some waiting for me when I get back to Maryland.

2.05/5  rDev -27.8%

A: Pink. What else can I say? Pink. Grapefruit pink with a cotton candy head..

S: Smells like burnt hair...

T: Semi-sweet, but with an odd aftertaste.. Fairly watery, but inhaling just a little when taking a sip kills it for me.. Not great.

M: Good, but hard to get past smell/taste.

D: Hells to the no... I don't know if I can finish this one.. I got it because I was curious, and I feel like that is the main reason it has sold. While this beer isn't terrible, I have no idea why anyone would buy this "summer seasonal" over any other summer beer..

On the upside, I took one of these beers out of the running. Consider this a bullet dodged if you haven't had it yet. Your welcome.

2.33/5  rDev -18%

An audible "Whoa!!" came from my mouth when I poured this one. I hadn't read any reviews, so was surprised by the pink stuff that resembled...well, heck, I don't even know what I would call it. Pink lemonade coupled with sparkling grape juice.

I don't know, I like Magic Hat, but I'm struggling with anything positive to say about this one. I will finish the 6, but only because I'm a frugal guy by nature. The taste isn't offensive, but it's very thin with little aroma.

Not much more I can say...I will go back to #9.

1.84/5  rDev -35.2%

A: Looks like red Kool-Aide with a pinkish hued
head! Best thing about this brew!

S: No distinct aromas save the presence of
alcohol, I was really expecting to pick up
the scent of something off of this boldly
colored brew.

T: The flavor was virtually nonexistant except
for the aftertaste that tasted of a cheaper
corn fed beer.

M: The brew was watered down and left a dry
almost chalky feeling in my mouth and on
my pallet.

D: Nil

2.06/5  rDev -27.5%

Brewed with sugar beets, the new incarnation of the experimental Kerouac which I had on tap at the brewery years ago, and found it better than this version, but marginally so.

Pinkish orange clear liquid with a bright white head that rises up minimally and settles out to nothing quite quickly.

Aroma of grassy hops and mettalic notes, reminds me of the smell of an American macro lager.

Flavors of rosehips and floral notes, slightly vegetal, some bitterness without any hop flavor, and a burnt rubber and metallic aftertaste reminiscent of an American macro lager.

Slick and watery mouthfeel, slight tingle in the finish. Low drinkability, I'm not enjoying this one. Seems like it's perhaps a light summer drink made to compete with malternatives.

2.54/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this brew into a Chimay goblet.

The brew pours a pinkish red with a pink minimal head that has no lacing and the head fades quickly.

The brew smells of fruits - no presence of a typical "beer" smell. No malts, hops, yeasts etc.,

The brew taste like a soda almost - some cherry flavors; fruits no hops, yeasts or malts presence. The brew has no mouthfeel to speak of.

This is a very disappointing brew from Magic Hat - their worst brew by far. I was totally misguided on this one. Can not even recommend it for more then a few. This brew would be good for a very hot day or maybe pairing it up with a meal and you want an alternate to soda.

2.95/5  rDev +3.9%

The clear, pink color is jarring, especially for those who suffer from Bud Chelada post-traumatic stress disorder. The pink bleeds into the head and gives it a pinkish tinge as well. Head is fairly decent size with good retention. Lacing is spotty and mostly at the bottom of the glass, just as you finish.

Smell is basic macro lager.

Tastes like a slightly better macro lager, there is some discernible flavor here, mostly malt, with a bit of skunkiness

Mouthfeel is crisp and there is a bit more body than some of the more watery BMC products.

Drinkability is not bad, especially as a lawnmower beer. This one is right on the edge whether it deserves a glass or just a swill out of the bottle. I bought 2 in a mixed six pack. I would not buy a six pack of this, with so many better summer beers around.

3.06/5  rDev +7.7%

A bit of on odd beer but not terrible. Redish pinkish color and perfectly clear. Nearly white, pinkish head that goes away modertly fast. No lacing. An odd taste. It's a mediocre taste right off the bat, and then you taste the fruity sweetness of it. Other than the fruity sweetness, apparently from beets which explains the color, there is really nothing else interesting about this beer. Not bad, but not too great.

1.76/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Unfortunately bought a 6 pack of this, maybe the girls will like it to mix w/ something to make their drinks pink.

Fuzzy light head and no lacing. Very mild taste brings memories of coors light/busch. So sad I paid over $2 per bottle for this...

Recommended for a pot luck tasting and nothing more.

2.1/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks, mikereaser!

Pours a reddish pink color with two fingers of thick white foam. Head doesn't retain very well, but there's some very nice lacing on the glass. Pretty nice looking beer.

Vegetal aroma. Cooked corn, cooked vegetables. If I didn't see a pink beer in the glass, I'd assume this was a Bud Light. Beet sugar? Where?

Flavor pretty much follows. Cooked veggies mid-palate, corn and grain in the finish. This is just not good. After half the glass, some very, very faint dry fruit flavors are detectable.

Light bodied, possibly a little over-carbonated. I suppose it would be easy to put a few of these down, but it jusn't taste good enough to me to even finish the glass.

3.13/5  rDev +10.2%

picked up the summer scene case earlier today .
poured the chilled beer in to a pint glass.
rosey in color with light pink lacing.
slighty fruity in smell.
it has a mild flavor .
dry light body mouthfeel with decent drinkability.
this is a interesting addition to the magic hat faily of beers.

2.47/5  rDev -13%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - The beer came to me PURPLE! I could not believe it...on top of the purple body was a pink head...left no lacing

S - A wheaty nose mixed with some fruit

T - Almost tastes like #9...you would think it would be sweet tasting...but no...the malts are hardly present...and there are no hops

M - Leaves you not wanting to take another sip

D - Don't know what to say here...I guess I'm glad I tried it so I know for the next time...Magic Hat came up a little short on this one

1.47/5  rDev -48.2%

Pours a crystal clear pink tinged grapefruit juice tone with a light pink tinted head.

Aromatics are dull not much going on except for corn and cooked veggies, WTF! Also on board is a light mineral water extract, are we trying to give micro brews a bad name here.

Flavor is horrid, bitter cooked veggies with little to no apparent sweetness. Just cereal grain offness with more of that cooked corn DMS going down. If your going to add beet sugar to give a beer a pink color at least make it something worth drinking, pure shite.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with an acrid finish of post puking mouthfeel. Carbontion is a bit much and it really over does it and practically induces the gag reflux with each sip.

Drinkability, this beer is a lost cause I hoped to never cross paths with any beer of this level of shit. It has created a new plateau of piss poor brewing efforts, why does it have to come from a likeable brewery like Magic Hat and have such a cool fuckin' label.

3.05/5  rDev +7.4%

A sixer on a whim (and cause it was cheap). A friend and I split them, and neither of us was particularly impressed. This one poured a strange bright maroon color with touch of quickly vanishing head. Nose wasn't terrible - sweet maltiness, some very light unidentifiable fruit. Not a lot going on there. Maybe a touch of yeast. Flavor's fairly similar. Just nothing really to hold on to (and I might not have known it was a fruit beer without seeing it's strange appearance). A hint of malt, some sweet fruitiness, and a hint of hops. Feel is fine, appropriate carbonation and a medium to slightly thin body. Overall, it's boring. Won't pick this one up again.

2.5/5  rDev -12%

Served with a sneer at the latest beer festival in Norfolk VA. The grumpy volunteer presented my "One girl's beer comin up" in a tasting glass with 2 fingers of pink tinged foam. There was a bit of pink liquid underneath, but not enough to get a really full smell. Kind of like nutrasweet and really weak cherry kool aid. Taste followed suite. Weak kool aid. Good carbonation, decent mouthfeel, but the fairly gross taste limits the drinkability.

I know this was just a taste, but more than enough in my opinion. Not a beer I would ever seek out again.

2.32/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This will be my shortest review. The beer is pink. It has a hint of citrus in the nose. It has no flavor. My wife described it as having less flavor that Natty Light. I have to agree with her. Sad, very sad. Why would they bottle and sell this? A sad one for Magic Hat.

3.03/5  rDev +6.7%

Magic Hat Wacko is a clear, sparkling, raspberry-colored beer with a small white head that leaves pretty good lacing. The color surprised me. It has a yeasty, wheaty aroma with a note of citrus peel. It is light bodied and crisp. It is lightly flavored with mostly... wheat. There is light grassy bitterness to it. This is chugging beer.

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

A- A violet/rose colored beer with a bubbly pink head with less then a finger of head.

S- Fruit, sugar and soft hops. Biscuits dominating the aroma.

T- Sharp biscuit and bready taste with a sugary beat taste. There are little hops in Wacko. Ends up in a dry finish.

M- Thin, with a biting carbonated mouthfeel.

D- An odd beer that I am happy that I have tried out. As for drinkability, I think I could only take a few at a time.

2.27/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a pinkish color, pretty wacko for a beer, a fizzy head that goes away in a blink and leaves no lacing in it's path.

The smell is quite similar to Magic Hat's #9, light malty aroma, slight sweetness, but not too much else.

Taste is fairly atrocious, I think it might be Magic Hat's worst, has a weird flavor behind the malt, must be the beet juice, somebody should have known this to be a bad idea, crisp carbonation which would be a good thing normally but only enhances the bad aftertaste. Another thing that's rather wacko is how watery it feels, impressive for something with a rather bad taste.

Glad I didn't buy a full 6 pack of this thing and got it instead in the mixed 12 pack.

2.86/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Wacko was anything but - surprisingly dull and weak brew. I like to sample the fruit beers, so I can have recommendations for the beer newbies and crossovers, but this thing will not make my list.

Of course, a clear raspberry/pink pour, no head or lace. Almost no aroma, ah oh, this is not going well. Quaff did supply a bit of a cutting clean pale ale taste with a tiny kick of hop in the finish.

Still, very mundane, I'll not be back for more.

2.93/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a clear plastic cup.

A: Poured an effervescent reddish pink color, like a white zinfandel or rose wine with lots of carbonation and a raspberry ginger ale head of bubbly foam. Strange look.

S: Smells a little like herbal vegetation and sweet malts. Some very light, grassy hopping.

T: A little bit like cooked corn and steamed vegetables, with a sweet and salty flavor to it. The malts are very pale and hop bittering extremely low. More sticky sweet and oddly bitter root tasting than anything else.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp, yet slightly cloying with the strange combo of fruity ale sweetness and bitter herbal veggies.

D: A little too weird for my palate, so I likely wouldn't reach for more than one of them. It is pretty smooth and light tasting, but there's an odd veggie flavor that turns my tongue upside down.

Magic Hat was grasping at straws again for a kitschy summer brew to saturate the market. Pre-emptive for an Odd Notion? Perhaps. Chicks and light beer drinkers might get a kick out of the sparkling wine look, but the flavor is ultimately a letdown.

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

Ok, I've been defending Magic Hat to Vermonters trying to be trendy by saying things like "only tourists drink Magic Hat" and "if you drink Magic Hat you're just being trendy." Of course, not drinking a beer based on who drinks it is actually being trendy as opposed to drinking a beer simply because you like the taste.

That being said, I can not and will not defend this abomination to beer. First of all, it's pink and that to me just seems like a novelty. Novelty can be fun if the product is also good. This "beer" tastes like beet flavored seltzer. There is no taste. It's just a really bad decision. Magic Hat however, is known for being experimental, and when you take risks you're sometimes going to not hit the mark. This is that beer.

Wacko from Magic Hat Brewing Company