Howl | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Schwarzbier

Availability: Fall

Born of dark and cold and snow in the marrow of the northeast's longest night, Howl comes in on wailing winds with winter-weary eyes burning holes in sunless shadows. In its darkened depths our inner voids are warmed.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2009

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

Appearance: Pours black with a nice, thick tan head with nice lacing. The head receeded a little faster than I would have liked.

Smell: COFFEE. Really nice toasted smell. Regular toast, burnt toast, toasted nuts, toasted barley, unsweetened chocolate.

Taste: Sweet tree bark. There's a sweetness that's very noticeable in the taste that I didn't sense in the smell. There's a dark roasted flavor I can't describe.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, nice carbonation.

You can get different beer but you can't get better. I can't think of a way to improve this beer except for a little better head retention.
This is a world class beer.

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

I bought this from my local shop after a night football game.

Upon getting nice and cold playing football, I walked through the woods back to my car in the dark. It was only then that I decided it was time for a winter warmer, and I found Howl.

I got home, cleaned up, bundled up, poured this into my favorite mug, and took it to my back porch to stair out on the woods.

This poured black as the night sky, holding it up to the light it's still black, but with a deep hint of a dark dark crimson, perhaps maroon. Theres was no head whatsoever, just darkness though it still glazed finley.

I held it up to my nose and felt a swirl of Chocolate and coffee, with a hint of malt and caramel. The smell alone began to warm me.

The tasted swirlled around in my mouth much like the wind through the trees, starting with chocolate and finishing with the soft malted caramel. Warmed me to the bone.

Exceptional.

4.94/5  rDev +33.9%

Nice beer very unique flavor!

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

Wow! There are few beers I start a review with Wow, but this is one that deserves it. Howl took me by surprize. While I've enjoyed beer from Magic Hat in the past, I've found some to be just so-so but not this one. This beer, poured into a standard pint glass looked just like a still winter night, black, with a head of light brown/beige sky. The head dissipates a bit as one drinks down but still remains till the bottom of the glass,(trust me it's so good each sip will invite you back the bottom of the glass arrive quickly). The nose is a faint roasted grain aroma with a hint of coffee. The taste is velvety chocolate and the suttle aftertaste of a sweet mild morning coffee. The finish lingers in such a way as to invite another sip (that I just had to have right away!). The ABV at just 4.60% make Howl my new sessions beer. If the boys at AB want to really know what the meaning of drinkability is, this is drinkability with flavor. I think I'll Howl but, not at the moon, all night.

4.66/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from growler from consumers beverages into pint glass nice half inch head. Appetizing black red. Slight malty smell. The taste of chocolate is much stronger than the smell. excellent chocolate malt to go with the contrast of a lighter lager mouthfeel. A very new easy drinking smooth feel for so much flavor. I enjoyed this alot.

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

A: it's a lager but it doesnt pour like a lager, it's a little bit lighter. and the head on it has a really nice dark brown color.

S: Has a very nice roasted almost coffeish smell to it.

T: Very good taste, coffey, carmely taste at the begining the at the end it goes to that good roasted flavor.

M: Just melts in your mouth.

D: Not as heavy as normal lager. so it makes it quite easy to just enjoy and drink along.

4.5/5  rDev +22%