Howl | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Schwarzbier

Availability: Fall

Born of dark and cold and snow in the marrow of the northeast's longest night, Howl comes in on wailing winds with winter-weary eyes burning holes in sunless shadows. In its darkened depths our inner voids are warmed.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2009

Liked:
3.66/5
Alströms:

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

A: pretty dark color. pours with a good amount of head. good lacing down the glass.

S: Great dark chocolate, roasted charcoal tones

T: Really get the roasted and chocolate flavor throughout the beer.

M: good amount of carbonation with a medium body.

D: Really drinkable. Wish I had bough a few more of these. A pretty good winter seasonal brew for this style.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Very dark, but black as night not so much. I saw some reddish colors at the edges. Decent tan head.

S- little smoky, Had some toffee notes

T- Dark chocolate, some spicy hops but a great balance

M- What I liked a lot is it's lighter than your typical porter but you still get some the characteristics with the malt.

I enjoyed this would get it again!

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

Magic Hat's Howl pours just short of pitch black with a nice light-tan head. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate are all present upon the smell.

The roasted characters come out more in the taste, supported by the strong presence of bitter coffee. There is a little bit of chocolate in there, but it struggles to compete with the roasted malt/coffee. There is also a smokiness which is pretty pleasant, probably my favorite part of the experience. Howl finishes pretty dry, as the bitter coffee lingers into a mildly dry, leafy hop finish. I enjoyed the smokiness of this Schwarzbier, but I feel like the roasted flavors overpower some of the more subtle qualities. Overall, it has decent drinkability, but I don't know if I care for it enough to try it again anytime soon.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

A - This beer has a fantastic appearance, and has just about everything I look for in a brew. Some nice foamy, light tan head that retained itself quite well. The color is rather magnificent. Rather dark with a nice burgundy/red wine color where light penetrates. Lacing is moderate and certainly there. It's very visually appealing! The only thing that might make it better to me is some light carbonation floating up, which I always like to see.

S - I don't know, but I could pull out almost no smell. At first I was able to get some toffee-like or caramel hints out of it, but a couple minutes after pouring I didn't detect any of that. There seemed to be a little maybe malty-sweetness or maybe fortified wine aroma, but that was about it. This smell really doesn't impress me, since there's hardly anything there.

T - Again, I'm pretty let down by the taste. It seemed to match the nose rather well, with some light roasted toffee/caramel flavors. There's a little malty sweetness as well. Aftertaste was sort of non-existent. Only thing that stayed with me was a little bit of bitterness. There aren't any bad flavors, but there certainly isn't any flavor I'd right home about.

M - Not bad. Very mildly "syrupy", but otherwise sort of light and thin. Not really any carbonation present, just sort of an average mouthfeel.

D - Good drinkability in that it's refreshing, and doesn't feel so substation (carbonated, thick, etc.) that you feel like you're drinking a meal. If this beer is enjoyable to you there likely wouldn't be any problem throwing a few back.

Overall, this is probably my least favorite offering from Magic Hat that I've had. It's not BAD, I just don't think it has a whole lot behind it that's GOOD. I'll probably give it another try sometime just to see if I have a new perspective.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Dark Full Body color.

S - Nice nutty nsmell.

T - Similar to some craft stouts that I have sampled. Full and rich.

M - Full with some carbonation.

D - I like the flavor and other characteristics, but as with me and most earthy beers, more than a couple would be a challenge.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

I received the Winter sampler pack for Christmas and am enjoying the Howl, also known as Black as Winter Night beer tonight.

When pouring the beer it's defiantly as described..this beer is a really dark brown color that leaves a light tan head that lingers.

when smelling the beer you're presented with the pleasant smell of chocolate and some roasted malt.

When tasting the beer you're hit with a somewhat strong - but smooth taste of chocolate, malt and a little bit of coffee. Perfect for a stout and for a winter beer!

The mouthfeel on this beer is medium, the effects aren't as relevant but it does linger to a degree.

the drinkability part of beer is dead on, as it goes down really smooth and makes you want to go back for more. Plus with it being only 4.6, you're more than welcome to continue as it's not like most schwarzbiers in that category.

Overall I was quite pleased with this beer and found it enjoyable. This is a perfect beer to drink during the winter time and during the times where you just want to relax and have a beer in the cold weather.

2.34/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle poured into mug. Didn't know what I was getting into, I don't like black beers. Just saw winter seasonal and snagged it. Poured black with 1/2in light brown head. Smells alright, but the coffee taste just doesn't sit well with me. Exceptionally smooth mouthfeel. For folks who enjoy this kind of beer I would recommend it, but I don't think I will be having another.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured from a bottle into a glass. It took three bottles to get enough of a head of foam to say it's tan colored, thin at best, and disappears rather fast... With some lacing. The color isn't solid black, but as dark as some stouts and porters. The nose was sweet, with caramel and perhaps brown sugary notes to the aroma. There wasn't any discernible hop aroma at all. The taste fell in line with the aroma, caramel and sweet malts. There was some carbonation and medium mouthfeel. It tried to cling to my palate.

Overall I gave the beer a 3.5 because the lack of foam, plus it was terribly sweet and not complex in taste. I expect more from something marked seasonal. It is a drinkable beer. I could drink these in lieu of the dessert course after a dinner.

Howl from Magic Hat Brewing Company