Howl | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States | website

Style: Schwarzbier

Availability: Fall

Born of dark and cold and snow in the marrow of the northeast's longest night, Howl comes in on wailing winds with winter-weary eyes burning holes in sunless shadows. In its darkened depths our inner voids are warmed.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2009

firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last
Reviews: 435 | Ratings: 956
4.39/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

dark as coal. some lacing.

sweet, smokey, sticky nose right off the bat.

some true chocolately malty hoppy art going on here in true balance. my second favorite non-hopbomb MH offering.

for all the suggestive notes going on, this isn't thick and sticky in the mouth. tastes great. a very drinkable winter brew.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

drinks like a schwartzy...this is going down fast....good hits of dark cocoa and coffee on the taste and aroma...lighter bodied but doesn't feel watery...just easy drinking and flavorful...exactly what a schwartzy should be....Not tremendously complex but also has hints of caramel....very well done.

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had in the holiday pack. Black appearance with some amber in the light. Small, patchy lacing with a very thin head. Aromas were quite good. Burnt coffee smells mixed with some sweet malts. Really delicious, milky taste to the drink. Burnt bitterness follows, but the malts really made this an incredibly pleasant drink. Mouthfeel aids in the taste sensation by giving a creamy texture and light, slightly airy feel to the drink. Overall, a fine drink for my New Years.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

great beer my first time having it my friend brought me a case when i ran out of my usual beer I opened up a bottle and took a sip it was delicious. It has a nice cream flavor to it nice black charred look and taste. great for watching the game and sipping on a hot day haivng a b.b.q my review overrall outstanding. unfortunalty its not for sale in my town i have to drive a ways from here.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

HOWL - Winter Seasonal (cool evil eyes label ).

Poured from 12oz bottle -best by date wasn't stamped .

Poured dark motor oil black, one finger head that dissipated quickly leaving behind a thin tan lacing.

Smell was of burnt coffee with toasted malts.

Taste - Burnt coffee, mild toffee ,roasted malts, maybe a hint of vanilla.

Drinkabilty was very good-This is one of the easiest brews to drink I have ever had - I would definitely recommend this and will be headed to the store to find some more before it's season is over.

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

A: it's a lager but it doesnt pour like a lager, it's a little bit lighter. and the head on it has a really nice dark brown color.

S: Has a very nice roasted almost coffeish smell to it.

T: Very good taste, coffey, carmely taste at the begining the at the end it goes to that good roasted flavor.

M: Just melts in your mouth.

D: Not as heavy as normal lager. so it makes it quite easy to just enjoy and drink along.

4.66/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from growler from consumers beverages into pint glass nice half inch head. Appetizing black red. Slight malty smell. The taste of chocolate is much stronger than the smell. excellent chocolate malt to go with the contrast of a lighter lager mouthfeel. A very new easy drinking smooth feel for so much flavor. I enjoyed this alot.

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

Wow! There are few beers I start a review with Wow, but this is one that deserves it. Howl took me by surprize. While I've enjoyed beer from Magic Hat in the past, I've found some to be just so-so but not this one. This beer, poured into a standard pint glass looked just like a still winter night, black, with a head of light brown/beige sky. The head dissipates a bit as one drinks down but still remains till the bottom of the glass,(trust me it's so good each sip will invite you back the bottom of the glass arrive quickly). The nose is a faint roasted grain aroma with a hint of coffee. The taste is velvety chocolate and the suttle aftertaste of a sweet mild morning coffee. The finish lingers in such a way as to invite another sip (that I just had to have right away!). The ABV at just 4.60% make Howl my new sessions beer. If the boys at AB want to really know what the meaning of drinkability is, this is drinkability with flavor. I think I'll Howl but, not at the moon, all night.

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

Appearance: Pours black with a nice, thick tan head with nice lacing. The head receeded a little faster than I would have liked.

Smell: COFFEE. Really nice toasted smell. Regular toast, burnt toast, toasted nuts, toasted barley, unsweetened chocolate.

Taste: Sweet tree bark. There's a sweetness that's very noticeable in the taste that I didn't sense in the smell. There's a dark roasted flavor I can't describe.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, nice carbonation.

You can get different beer but you can't get better. I can't think of a way to improve this beer except for a little better head retention.
This is a world class beer.

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

I bought this from my local shop after a night football game.

Upon getting nice and cold playing football, I walked through the woods back to my car in the dark. It was only then that I decided it was time for a winter warmer, and I found Howl.

I got home, cleaned up, bundled up, poured this into my favorite mug, and took it to my back porch to stair out on the woods.

This poured black as the night sky, holding it up to the light it's still black, but with a deep hint of a dark dark crimson, perhaps maroon. Theres was no head whatsoever, just darkness though it still glazed finley.

I held it up to my nose and felt a swirl of Chocolate and coffee, with a hint of malt and caramel. The smell alone began to warm me.

The tasted swirlled around in my mouth much like the wind through the trees, starting with chocolate and finishing with the soft malted caramel. Warmed me to the bone.

Exceptional.