Vinyl | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Availability: Spring

Vinyl sails in on her shining wings as the spinning sun returns. She is the season-shifter, bursting from her cocoon to sing the ancient song of vernal yearning and to summon spring's sweet green return... Her metamorphosis becomes our own. Her thirsts are shared by all. Drink in her mysterious elixir as the revolution blooms again...

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2009

Liked:
3.39/5
Alströms:

4.8/5  rDev +41.6%

Medium amber in appearance, clear and clean. Smell is somewhat erronious and deceitful.Taste is a wow, this is a nice blend of hops and malts. Well done on this one and very much fridge worthy; but we digress. The mouthfeel is what you what in a beer. Leaves the tongue nicely and leave you whating more. Overall we at Barley Road can not say enough, this will be in the fridge.

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

4.67/5  rDev +37.8%

Pours a clear, medium amber color similar to Yuengling, the only other really amber lager I’ve come across. Smells hit the nose immediately on the pour. Mostly caramel malt with notes of toffee. Not a lot of hops in the nose. Starts a tad sour but gives way to a deep, complex malt bill. Tastes more like a nut brown in a lighter lager form. Full rich mouthfeel with a subtle amount of carbonation. Not much hops to speak of. Finishes clean and refreshing, lightly coating the tongue with malty goodness. I love beers that rely on their malt bills for flavor more than their hopping schedule. Thus, I love this lager.

4.51/5  rDev +33%

Review taken from notes

A - Red haze in color.
S - Slight toffee smell along with bitter malt.
T - biscuit flavor from yeast along with slight bitter hops and malt.
M - Light and refreshing. Decent amber lager.
D - One of the few amber lagers I had and this one is Number one for price and drink ability. Flying dog and Yuengling lager coming in second and third.

4.44/5  rDev +31%

4.39/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rusty ruby and copper clor with a one finger head that recedes to a film of foam before I take my first sip. OK bubbling. Crisp and toasty malt aroma. Makes me think of pretzel bread and some faint earthy hops. Lighty toasted pretzel bread flavors upfront. Then toasted white bread fresh from the toaster in the middle with some earthy grass and dirt hops to cut the malts just a little bit. The finish stays the baked bread and toasted malt coarse. Very smooth palate all the way through. I wish there was a little more pretzel bread flavor, but this offereing still satisfied. Great session vienna lager.

4.32/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I am picking up where I left off last night, in the Magic of the Hat. My thanks to my local, in-person trader, tone77 for this one!

From the bottle: "Scrumptious Amber Lager"; "The ancient ritual of brewing a distinctly rich and flavorfulbeer is a performance to behold. Our mysterious mélange of time-honored ingredients harmonize with chaotic chemistry, humble patience, and blind faith to create this unique beer to share in the rousing company of kindred spirits. Cheers!"; "A performance in every bottle".

Upon Pop!ping it, the cap advised me "I Second That Odd Notion ..." and so I returned the favor with an aggro pour. The reason that a California Common is also referred to as a "Steam Beer" is that once the lager yeast began to ferment at ale-like temperatures, the resulting foam looked to some like steam coming out of the fermenter. I mention this because the frothing foam that shot up was like an uncontrollable leviathan! Three-plus fingers of dense, puffy, rocky, tawny head with great retention. Sheesh! Color was a deep Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a prevalent caramel maltiness. I usually eschew such things, but tonight, I will drink anything placed in front of me. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but big for a lager of any stripe. The taste was very much of caramel and therefore very sweet, but tonight, I am giving everything that I usually dislike a pass. I walked into a Burmese tiger trap of a phone call and was sideswiped by a reminder of our inherent mortality. Fuh. It took all of the wind out of my sails at the end of the day & sent me home for a beer (or two). Finish was sweet, but I really don't mind. It is a pleasant, easy-drinking lager, clean, but tasty and since Magic Hat has begun CANning, I would certainly buy some more in a CAN.

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

I liked this one enough I posted a link to the Magic Hat site on my Facebook page. Saw this on the singles shelf (in the seasonals section) at Corridor and picked it up. Very good decision. Very impressive, right from the awesome bottle graphics (gotta love that retro 1960s look) to the last very last sip. Nice brown to copper in the glass, with some rising bubbles visible. Decent, tan colored head that stayed through the first few sips and laced the glass nicely. Hint of light biscuity malt in the nose, but the taste matched with a nicely balanced malt and notable hops bitterness that made your mouth water from first sip. The flavor wasn't complex in the sense that it changed or shifted, but it was consistently well balanced and flavorful, with the nice bitter kick at the end. Nothing cloying or "sweet" or fruity about it. A definite session beer. Light mouthfeel and carbonation only added to the refreshing nature of the beer; and at just over 5% ABV, it was easily quaffed and enjoyed. Definitely a unique Ale. Almost (dare I say it) reminded me of an Altbier, in the way hops were used. Could be a regular in my fridge.

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

The red lager style is usually a pretty lackluster style, so I was pleasantly surprised with how bright and flavorful this beer was. Slightly tangy, with a well balanced but noteworthy hops flavor. Some light, slightly sweet caramel notes in malt. Odd name, cool graphics, good beer.

12oz bottle into a Pint Glass

A- Pours a reddish amber with a thinner 2 finger off white head that dosen't stick around to long and leaves little lacing.

S- Grainy roasted caramel malts and barley

T- Full flavored roasted malts with a good caramel toffee backround.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a slight bitter dry finish but not bad.

Overall this is probably the best spring beer i've had so far. Great flavor and body for a good cooler spring day. Magic Hat knew what they were doing with this one.

SkÅL!