Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Meatwhistle Imperial Stout | Magic Hat Brewing Company

4.03/5
Exceptional

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

An imperial stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels for over a year. A rare treat!

Added by Kegatron on 07-21-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%

I got a sample of this at GABF....What an event. This turned out to be the only booth that gave out condoms at the event this year. Not sure how good they were through...We might have to name our kid meatwhistle...

Nice beer that poured dark with a great smell rolling off. It appeared to have a decent head.(hard to tell with 1oz pours.) Taste was low in "pop" or surprise. I could taste the bourbon I thought.

Overall it was a nice. I would enjoy a full glass but I wouldn't rank it high on my stout list.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A-Pours a semi-viscous black hue. When held up to the light I can see rich brown hues. Head is mild and quite dark. Looks like a big boy.

S-Nose has some nice components but it didn't really blow me away. Deep chocolates and roast surfing atop a consistent whiskey aroma. Oakiness is not intense but it is clearly detectable.

T-Like the nose, the flavor is nice but not great. Burnt espresso beans, melted chocolate, vanilla and woody whiskey. Alcohol sets in and lingers. The whiskey/oak is mild; it is a complement to the other flavors and not the big ticket.

M-Lacks the super-creamy, full viscosity of the top-tier Stouts in my opinion. A bit too light in body. But when being enjoyed outside at 90 degrees, I was satisfied with the body. Tickling carbonation.

O/D-Hilarious name. Nice whiskey Stout. It was better than I expected. There are just some whiskey barrel-aged Stouts out there that are almost perfectly crafted. This one is not in the same stratosphere, but it was pretty tasty.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

An extra .25 rating for the name- it's almost as much fun to crack jokes as it is to drink. Probably the best Magic Hat beer I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap @ the Vermont Brewers Festival on 7/16/11. This is an 11.2% Imperial Stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

Pours a pitch black in the glass, topped with a rich and angry looking head of burnt mocha colored froth. This stays robust, leaving thick swathes of dark lace down the sides of the sample glass. The aroma smells quite dense and flavorful in the nose, with notes of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, molasses, and burnt wood. Tannins and spice make themselves known as well but I can’t tell if the latter is coming from the bourbon or the high ABV.

The taste is very similar but even fuller, with a thick sweet base of chocolate, caramel, and molasses flavors, balanced by a dark roasted (and slightly smoky) coffee bitterness and maybe a touch of lingering herbal hops or a smidge of green barrel. The finish on this is all bourbon, with a sweet and spicy blast that leaves a dry and charred feel hanging on the tongue. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a thick and chewy feel to the carbonation. For an 11% ABV beer, the alcohol here was VERY well hid. It’s definitely got an overall warm beefiness to the feel but the only burn here is coming from the barrel.

I originally wasn’t even going to bother checking out the Magic Hat tent during the fest but I’m sure glad that I did! This is probably the best beer that I’ve ever had them and was one of the few beers of the fest that I returned to later as well. This did lean heavy towards the bourbon at times but I felt that the base Stout here was just strong enough to keep this mostly balanced. Well done Magic Hat! Well done.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this one on tap at the Vermont Brewers Festival last weekend.

Appearance: Poured dark as night with a minimal medium brown crown in my small taster glass but I think the crown would have been much more pronounced with a less gentle pour.

Smell: Nice deep roasted malt, molasses, a touch of chocolate, and a bit of oak soaked bourbon.

Taste: Same as the nose but even more well integrated!

Mouthfeel: Close to perfect for the style....Thin side of heavy bodied with just enough carbonation.

Overall: At 11.2% it did kick you in the head a bit but it still went down fairly smooth for a sipper. While this beer might seem a bit "standard" for a good version of the style, I was very happy to see Magic Hat stepping outside of there norm and trying to catch up with the rest of the brewing world :)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%