Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Elder Betty | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States
magichat.net

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complimented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry.

Added by Jason on 03-28-2012

Ratings: 1,160 |  Reviews: 176

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

3.27/5  rDev -0.9%

I bought this because it was billed as a summer beer. It does taste berry-ish, though I'm not sure I've ever tasted a elderberry to know if that's what I'm tasting. If you've, like me, never had an elderberry, it's an interesting new taste.

Like Magic Hat's number nine, it has a unique taste and is light, but kind of lacks a punch I like in beers. It feels light. It's summer, and I wasn't looking for something really heavy, so perhaps it's more me not knowing what I want.

3.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

2.69/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

I've had the pleasure (or maybe I should say that I have made the unfortunate decision) to have multiple types of Magic Hat beers over the past few days. Does Magic Hat use the same base beer for everything they brew? It has certainly tasted like that. This beer is not the worst I have had though. It is refreshing, but it is no comparison to other wheat/hefe beers.

A - Pours a slight cloudy golden color. Cloudiness is not the same like a standard hefe. There was no sediment at the bottom of the bottle. A pale white rocky 1-finger head that quickly dissapates. Well carbonated. No lacing.

S - Some fruitness (I suppose it is elderbeery). No estery, banana or clove like aromas.

T - An adjunct flavor. A faint sweetness/fruitiness or maybe I am imaging it since I know the beer uses elderberries. Low hoppiness.

MF - Light bodied with a med-high carbonation.

Elder Betty from Magic Hat Brewing Company