Saint Saltan | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Added by tone77 on 01-20-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 109
3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was able to find this in the mix and match section at my local House of 1,000 beers. Not sure how I feel about a beer brewed with salt but I will keep an open mind. I don't think I ever had a Gose.

A - Looks sort of filtered with a bit of sediment floaties and a 1/2 inch of sticky white head that sticks around longer than I expected.
S - I do get that sort of "sea salt" smell but mostly a wheat base and the obvious spicy coriander. Has a touch of sour lemon as well.
T - Kind of a weak offering when it comes to coriander or even wheat. It does have a bit of drying salt bite in the end that seems to mix with a sour lemon twang. Guess I had too many Witbier's since I expected more spice or wheat. Not bad.
M - Very thin and watery like most Magic hat beers. Makes for a drinkable brew.

Overall I can't say it was terrible but if I wanted a German wheat beer I would seek out a Witbier over this offering. Not terrible just kind of forgettable.

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint: Pale, transparent golden-yellow with about half-a-finger of thin head that drops to a thin coating.

Mild, grainy smell with some coriander, a little bread crust, some lemon peel, slightly "lager-y" mineral note. All pretty subdued, a little thin.

Light citrus & a little cracker at first in the taste, but that fruitiness really gains momentum with some peach & apricot notes added, becomes pretty full & pleasant. Has a seltzer-y kind of dryness in the finish, not bad.

Medium-light-bodied, light but still full in mid-sip, ends with a satisfying sugary slickness that hangs around nicely.

All around pretty nice, simple brew. I can't say I really "know what to look for" in a gose, but I would've pegged this as an American witbier or pale wheat if I didn't know better. Kind of an odd offering for winter, but pretty enjoyable.

2.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance - Pale yellow and fairly clear with 1 finger head. Decent retention

Smell - Very earthy and grassy.

Taste - Very grainy on the pallet. Otherwise its a fairly bland tasting and watery beer. Not sure how this is even considered a Gose.

Mouthfeel - watery.

Overall - A not so interesting beer yet easily sessionable.

3.52/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is salty, some grains. Taste is also salty up front, some malts and grains, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a different and pretty good beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last