HICu | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +66.7%

4.25/5  rDev +66.7%

4.22/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy pumpkin-spice coppery-orange with substantial streams of small bubbles rising to the creamy, one-finger, off-white head. Head stays firmly intact all the way down the glass and leaves behind a nice web of lacing on the lower 3/4ths of the glass.

S - Definitely some cucumber and hibiscus notes as promised by the name with a faint earthy bitterness. I don't know if I would be able to recognize these smells if I didn't have a priori knowledge from the beer's name. More Hibiscus seems to emerge as the beer warms.

T - The lack of malt notes immediately registers with the drinker that this beer is something unique. Instead the front of the beer is driven by a slight bitter cucumber notes with floral overtones. Things seem to balance out more in the body with hibiscus and a slight sweetness mingling well with the bitter cucumber notes. Sweet and floral soda-like fizz as the beer passes over the back of the tongue transitions into a fresh cucumber and vinegar salad finish.

M - Very light bodied and plenty carbonated. This works well with the flavors and aids in making this brew a real summer thirst quencher.

I don't know if its because i've been spending far too much time in Colorado over the past month, but this oddball of a beer has really grown on me. I dig the complex and unique flavors as well as the real-beer appearance and light mouthfeel. Great summer thirst quencher when you want something light and out of the ordinary. I would buy this again, this is by far my favorite Magic Hat brew.

4.21/5  rDev +65.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For better or for worse (depending on how you feel), this beer is a product of the Magic Hat that really opened my eyes when I started drinking craft, not the more recent Magic Hat of the last year or two that's pumped out safe beer after safe beer. HiCu is a weird beer. Now, I love cucumber in my booze. I love a good Hendrick's gin and tonic, and yes, I'll garnish it with a cucumber. So, this is in my wheelhouse, because this guy opens up with an absolute assault of cucumber aroma. There's a bit of floral tones in there too, but this is a cucumber bomb. Never thought I'd be writing the words "cucumber bomb" about a beer, but here we go.

The taste is also super cucumber-y, with some floral tastes, and some citrus hops and caramel malts that peek in and out of the cucumber. The mouthfeel is crisp and well-carbonated, and the drinkability is pretty good, but it's a one and done for the night for sure. Overall, I'm pretty sure I'll be the highest scorer for HiCu on here. It's really what it says. It's a cucumber beer, through and through. If you go through lots of Hendricks gin, this might be right up your alley too. Really, it's the first beer that encompasses Magic Hat's bizarre style in quite some time, so for that alone I'm glad.

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Part of the Magic Hat summer sampler mixed twelve pack. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy soapy looking white head on top of a burnt orange colored body. Nice strands of thin lacing. Has almost an IPA like appearance to it.

S - Smell is of fresh juicy cucumber all right. Unlike any beer I have ever smelled before. Some light floral notes from the hibiscus. Some mild lemon or orange citrus qualities to it also. A very unique smelling beer.

T - Again, authentic watery cucumber, floral hibiscus, and some light bitter hop presence. Unlike any beer I've tasted before also.

M - Feel is lightly bitter from the mild hops but is mostly refreshing.

Overall, a job well done from Magic Hat on this one. My favorite beer out of the four in the summer sampler mixed twelve pack, and quite possibly my favorite beer from Magic Hat Brewing Co. to date. Light refreshing, juicy, fruity / vegetal, & unique. I can see where some people might be put off by this beer, but this is definitely a brew I plan to have again.

Magic Hat HICu ---4/5.

3.85/5  rDev +51%

Magic Hat HICU
That's an copper ale wit hibiscus cucumber ale a light pale almost melon like vibe aroma has flowery fruit note that actually works....flavor gives off a cucumber flush hibiscus note that just works eady going ale very good stuff! The first fruit vegetable beer I've liked.

3.61/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer at Shanty Town Pub out of a variety pack.

Unfortunately it was a little chilly out because this would be perfect for summer heat. There is a huge hit of cucumber in both the smell and taste. The hibiscus came out a little once poured into a pint glass, but not super evident.

Overall it is an alright beer, but as a novelty it is awesome.

3.6/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this -enjoyed chilled from a sampler glass.

The color is deep amber with light haze an thin white cap with fine bead, retention is ordinary. The smell has a vegetal aroma which I guess can be related to cucumber -it is light with mild sweet scent ,but in general nothing offensive or outstanding, just mild. The feel is good with a refreshing light aspect with moderate carbonation and generally clean profile.

The flavor is unique which is what I expected since it is the first cucumber beer I have ever tried - it does have cucumber in the taste but fresh and slightly sweet, not very vegetal or even -pickle-like. I don't get a lot of hibiscus in the taste but it does have a floral tinge which is mellow and pleasant. Overall I don't get the hate for this unless you despise cucumbers or just think the concept is an abomination but it really isn't that bad and has a sort of refreshing drinkability.

3.6/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

maybe the only beer of its kind, to combine both of these elements into a drinkable summer session beer, I like the execution, and I love the idea. it pours a red tinted bronze color, perfectly clear with just less than in inch of settling white foam. the nose is like a watermelon jolly rancher, the old school kind, quenching but sweet, vegetative but enticing. in terms of flavor, I get hibiscus up front and cool cucumber in the finish, its quite floral, but despite the nose isn't really too sweet at all. there is a refreshing element to this, and its important to drink it ice cold. there is a lighter pale malt backing, but its subtle enough to let the additives shine in all of their glory. it doesn't taste much like beer though, which I guess is a critique, but its a fine summer drink, straight from the bottle. its low alcohol is appreciated in that context,. excellent carbonation and less than medium on the body. overall this is a beer I will look forward to drinking again, and I think a few in the mixed twelve pack is just right, as I don't need a whole lot of these at a time. good stuff from magic hat, nice to see them continue to push the envelope even though they are getting quite large these days. this beer says Vermont all over it.

edit: how did people hate this so much? a unique, refreshing, and flavorful brew here, come on

3.53/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours deep amber with a lasting thick head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of cucumber with salt and vinegar.

The taste is the same. Very little floral touch in the finish. The finish lingers.

The feel is fine. Medium body with medium carbonation. Goes down pretty smoothly.

I gave this a higher score than I liked to, but they tried to make a beer that smells and tastes like a cucumber, and they succeeded.

HICu from Magic Hat Brewing Company