HICu | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

Added by jwc215 on 04-15-2013

3.6/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this -enjoyed chilled from a sampler glass.

The color is deep amber with light haze an thin white cap with fine bead, retention is ordinary. The smell has a vegetal aroma which I guess can be related to cucumber -it is light with mild sweet scent ,but in general nothing offensive or outstanding, just mild. The feel is good with a refreshing light aspect with moderate carbonation and generally clean profile.

The flavor is unique which is what I expected since it is the first cucumber beer I have ever tried - it does have cucumber in the taste but fresh and slightly sweet, not very vegetal or even -pickle-like. I don't get a lot of hibiscus in the taste but it does have a floral tinge which is mellow and pleasant. Overall I don't get the hate for this unless you despise cucumbers or just think the concept is an abomination but it really isn't that bad and has a sort of refreshing drinkability.

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

2.84/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Well I only got a 1/4 inch of head that fizzes out to a mild lace ring, Color is a light copper brown.
S - Very weird it smells of fresh cut watermelon, Cucumber flesh, and skins, with a mild bit of tea leaves.
T - Man I kind of wish this was a watermelon ale because that's what I got at first, juicy refreshing crisp watermelon. Then the cucumber kicks in and it gets weird very earthy, vegital but the finish is just disgusting. Has a sort of wheat mixed with tea leaves thing that leaves the mouth bitter and dry. Experimentally odd.
M - Has session capabilities but I could barely handle one.

Overall this beer takes the cake for the weirdest beer I drank this year, that is if it even counts as beer since I got very little malt or hop flavor. If you love watermelon and cucumbers this could be your new favorite beer but for me it was interesting enough for the $1.50 single.

3.33/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light copper color with an off white head that settles into a light cap.

The aroma has a big cucumber scent, very fresh. This is mixed with the floral hibiscus. The malt is neutral and there is that brown sugar like yeast scent that is in all magic hat brews.

The taste is of a tea like malt with a light lemon twang. Big cucumber flavor that provides a fresh flavor. The hibiscus is noticeable and provides a floral and bitter not. Not very deep in flavor but refreshing.

The feel is light and the carbonation is airy. Lightly sweet on the palate and finishes with a dry bitterness.

A decent brew. Not very exciting but I like cucumber though it may be a bit strong.

3.6/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

maybe the only beer of its kind, to combine both of these elements into a drinkable summer session beer, I like the execution, and I love the idea. it pours a red tinted bronze color, perfectly clear with just less than in inch of settling white foam. the nose is like a watermelon jolly rancher, the old school kind, quenching but sweet, vegetative but enticing. in terms of flavor, I get hibiscus up front and cool cucumber in the finish, its quite floral, but despite the nose isn't really too sweet at all. there is a refreshing element to this, and its important to drink it ice cold. there is a lighter pale malt backing, but its subtle enough to let the additives shine in all of their glory. it doesn't taste much like beer though, which I guess is a critique, but its a fine summer drink, straight from the bottle. its low alcohol is appreciated in that context,. excellent carbonation and less than medium on the body. overall this is a beer I will look forward to drinking again, and I think a few in the mixed twelve pack is just right, as I don't need a whole lot of these at a time. good stuff from magic hat, nice to see them continue to push the envelope even though they are getting quite large these days. this beer says Vermont all over it.

edit: how did people hate this so much? a unique, refreshing, and flavorful brew here, come on

2.69/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. "Natural Flavors Added" worries me.

Good looking head, hazed copper hue. Medicinal or botanical cucumber aroma, reminds me of soap or perfume ... not much else to the nose. Very smooth, dryish moderate sized body. Very tame hibiscus that gets steamrolled by the cucumber flavor, which again tastes soapy to me. Some beer-ish flavors come out, mainly a light graininess.

Extreme ... yes, drinkable ... no. Great idea but it lacks execution here and perhaps cucumber just does not work in beer. We'll chalk this up with a good effort in experimenting similar to their rosemary garlic ale they did years back.

1.25/5  rDev -51%

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

1.56/5  rDev -38.8%

For me this is the worst beer I ever tasted. Yes, it has more character than a Bud, but it is just plain undrinkable. The smell is weird, and then the taste. At first it's just surprising and strange, but soon the bitter cucumber taste kicks in, and you'll feel obliged to just poor it down the sink. I love to taste new beers, and I always empty my glass. Not this time though, plain impossible. I like the aroma of hibiscus and enjoy hibiscus tea. I love the freshness of cucumber in the summer, but this beer has captured none of the good things of the flower nor the veggie.

I'm really surprised that Magic Hat released this awfulness. Certainly will make me avoid other Magic Hat stuff.

HICu from Magic Hat Brewing Company