Séance | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Jackal on 07-31-2013

1.25/5  rDev -62%

1.32/5  rDev -59.9%

Avoid this beer - the color should have been warning enough...

The smell is off-putting; burnt and sweet malts.

This beer tastes like the runnings of an ashtray left out in the rain. It is utterly repulsive with a strong tobacco flavor followed by hints of metal and a slight roast/smokiness.

Mouthfeel is least offensive aspect of the beer - medium to high carbonation helps keep the flavors from staying too long on your tongue.

Overall this beer is an aggressious attempt at not only a (dark) saison but just as a drinkable beer in general. If I was Magic Hat, I would seriously consider scrapping this beer all together.

1.63/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

DATE TASTED: November 8, 2013... GLASSWARE: Kisatsky's Tavern pint... OCCASION: post soccer/rental car/surgery Friday!... APPEARANCE: jet black body; slush brown, chunky, topographically significant head that laces thickly as a cloud--promising... AROMA: peat, lactic, soda pop and funk--NOT the barnyard variety; more of a porter than a saison--a mislabel?...PALATE: full-bodied, powerfully off-kilter residue--not enjoyable...TASTE: first, the aftertaste: malt that drags and offers a mucused experience; actually tastes more like old pint glass than a refreshing saison...OVERALL: a disappointing seasonal, given the foreboding label and the usually enjoyable experience when drinking a saison; drinks too much like a chore, almost begging unfair comparisons to other, more reputable Hats or saisons...

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

1.82/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a WTF IS THIS. Dark ruby body, two finger khaki head - there was literally no warning of this being a dark saison. None. Anyways, the head doesn't have very good retention, but does leave a bit of lacing behind. I'm not docking points because of the look, though.

S: The aroma should have thrown me a curveball about the look. It's quite high in both caramel malts and sweetness. A bit of oatmeal presence, also. Not very yeasty at all, there's little sense this is even a dark saison rather than a simple session porter. And I haven't even got to the unpleasantly smoky, rotting meat notes I'm picking up! : | The dog food quality tanks the nose utterly - in fact, I kind of don't want to drink this now...

T/M: It tastes like it's trying so hard to be a dark saison. It has the (somewhat) lively feel, and it has the dry finish. But the unpleasant melange of roast, caramel, smokiness (not the good smokiness you get out of Schlenkerla's rauchbiers, either), and wateriness ruins any chances of this being remotely good. Despite the high sweetness, the feel is okay for the style. Otherwise? Bah, who cares.

O: The drizzling shits, plain and simple. I normally avoid Magic Hat, and this brew reminded me exactly why I do so...

1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

This beer is garbage. Smells of burnt malts. Very dark, looks like a porter or a stout. Very little head or carbonation. It is absolutely not a saison. It is a dark burnt malty mess. I should have read the reviews before ever ordering this crap. Be warned. Would not recommend if you actually want a saison.

2.01/5  rDev -38.9%

I don't know what was going on with the bottle of this I got, but it does not seem to match up with the beer that other people are describing. The nose was a bit smoky, but otherwise unremarkable. The taste though... I got nothing but smoke. And not a good smoky flavor, either, but smoke from a fire made with rotted wood. I guess I could call it "earthy" if I were feeling generous, but the impression I got as I drank it was "wrong." I only finished it due to a misguided sense of honor, and I would not drink it again.

Séance from Magic Hat Brewing Company