Hi.P.A. | Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

Added by UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003

Reviews: 661 | Ratings: 1,315
3.72/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange color with two fingers of a creamy, slightly off-white head The head stays at about a finger the whole way through. Some really nice looking lacing.

Smell: Fresh hops. Pretty sweet on the nose, with a lot of fruity notes on top of grassy-like hops. Maybe some cherries or something?

Taste/feel: Not as bitter as the description suggests -- better to listen to the IBUs, which are at 70. This is a fairly bitter IPA, but it's not something you wouldn't expect. The beer flips between bitter and sweet back and forth through each sip, and ends with a slightly bitter, semi-dry finish. The flavors I pull out are a solid combination of mixed fruits, fresh grass, and floral notes. The beer is medium bodied with a pretty low carbonation... almost like this was had on draft. I'd prefer a bit more carbonation though.

The consensus here is pretty accurate -- it's a good beer. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just lacks a certain "pop" in the flavor to get it a "Wow" factor. A very enjoyable beer, and one of my favorites from Magic Hat.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Slightly sun-bleached copper, a foamy cream colored head sits on top for a good time. Random splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Sour citrusy hops, tanginess.

Taste: Pine and a sour, tangy hop note linger throughout. Unlike most IPA's I've had but it reminds me of a Tasmanian IPA I've had. A spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium and maybe even light for the amount of ABV.

Overall: Just weird enough for me to really like, it's definitely different.

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Poured a nice hazy orange. Had about an inch of head on top and laced nicely. Smell was a nice mixture of hops and citrus. The taste yielded about the same as the smell. Nice pine and citrus taste. Not an overpowering hop taste, but just the right amount. Tasted perfect on a hot day.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a clear bubbly golden yellow.

Light citrus aroma with a touch of malty sweetness.

Citrus fruits and subtle toast like malt sweetness.

Light-bodied, medium-high carbonation, bitter.

Overall, a mediocre IPA at best.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange straw color, slightly cloudy. It has a big frothy white head which leaves some nice lace.

Smells of citrus, lemon and grapefruit, and herbs.

Tastes is largely bitter lemon and grapefruit with a bitter herb taste moving in and out. There are some sweet orange and a faint malt ghost that appear at times. This is a decent IPA, but in a field of standouts this will get left behind.

3.48/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance 3.5: Light honey-colored. Sightly cloudy, which is never a bad thing. Smallish head that dissipated quickly.

Smell 3.5: Pleasant bouquet. Bright grains with nice hop alkalinity. Slight smell of fruit of some type.

Taste 3.5: Front is dry, with very little hop alkalinity. Middle is dry also, with slight grain flavor and a strange (although not unpleasant) fruity taste. Also, a subdued hop alkalinity is present here, with a restrained hop profile; possibly some noble hop variety. Finish is where the hops really flood in, but this is a trickle and not a raging river. This level is also dry and the hops seem to focus on the middle of the palate. Aftertaste is surprising: another big hit of hop alkalinity with a continued focus on the middle of the palate. The hop taste is all alkalinity with none of the nicer hop flavor profiles such as pine, citrus or chlorophyll.

Mouthfeel 3.25: Bubbly, but thin in the mouth. Would have done better with more of a focus on filling out the taste profile.

Overall 3.5: Good IPA, but certainly nothing outstanding. The focus here seems to be on one hop and it would have been nice for the brewers to let the imbiber know what hop was chosen. Then again, I could be wrong, this could be yet another melange of different hops. Regardless, this is a beer that would go well with food, this because of its dryness all along the taste profile. Certainly not a bad beer, but not one I would necessarily choose to buy again.

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a cloudy dark yellow color with a nice fluffy white head. Smells of piney and floral hops, not in your face, but still strong. Tastes of piney and earthy hops, nice bite, but with a nice grain body. Beer is light/medium body and finishes nice with good carbonation. Overall, a very good beer.

3.34/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

HiPA is a pale shade of yellow, situated somewhere between straw and honey. Small particles of sediment are observed in the hazy liquid, and a cottony head rests on top after a power pour. This later goes down to about 3/4 of an inch, but still, ample lacing clings to the glass. The scent is not terribly inviting... one can barely detect the grapefruit-like hop aroma underneath an sharp, astringent and medicinal layer, that I perceive as off. This could be due to the fact that this bottle is quite past its prime, being a fall release. After a sip however, I was surprised that it was actually pretty tasty. It's heavy on the pine variety of hop flavor, but it's also got a flowery splash thrown in. Something else reminds me of pollen. The brew feels full-bodied as it coats the mouth and is somewhat warming on the way down. There is a very distinct malt presence that again, could be due to the bottle's age. For this review I find the balance between malt and hops favorable though. Take this review for what it's worth - expect what I have found to apply to presently finding a single bottle of this on the shelf.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Magic Hat Hi.P.A.

A blindfolded taster would instantly and correctly guess this to be an IPA. It is always well done and styled flawlessly when the flavor profile smacks the catcher's mitt in the pitch zone. This brew is banging on the door of an American Double IPA.

A: Hazy pale gold

S: Citrus and evergreen reaching out to tweak your nose with a sharp, playful hop pinch

T: Sharply tart, hop bouquet lingering

M: On the light side

O: A perfectly, nice IPA - I'd have been proud to brew it myself.

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Poured a hazy, golden yellow color with a one-finger off-white head of foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of pine and grapefruit with some toasty notes.

T - It tasted of pine, grapefruit, citrus and some burnt toast maltiness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale.

O - This is a good IPA from Magic Hat. I enjoyed it.

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Another drinkable offering from Magic Hat, this time in IPA form. Full of bitter citrus hops with enough malts to keep it honest. Like most of their brews, it is good but nothing really stands out.

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

This beer reminds me of 'Heady Topper'. For those living in the Waterbury, VT area know what the hell I am talking about. This is the closest thing to the Alchemist's Head Topper. I absolutely love Columbus hops and how they taste! This is like a light version though. I think the flavor is the biggest asset of this beer! I just wish it was available year round!

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Excellent beer, glad to have it in my keg fridge for the week it took us to guzzle it down. Hoppy nose, really piney and fragrant. A little too much carbonation for my preferences, but as it warmed up it became even more aromatic. Really liked it, would definitely buy it again. Perhaps for the first time, I got a sense of grapefruit on an IPA, it scraped the tongue.

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz Bottle from Wegman's Dewitt NY for 2$

Appearance - Hazy gold colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel and malts mixed with hops. There is also some grapefruit/lemons mixed with some grassy notes. It ends with a mild hop bitterness.

Overall – Good not great. You could do far worse but it doesn't come close to stacking up to all the world class IPA's out there. It has a nice taste but lacks that fresh hop aroma and bite.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from growler into a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a hazy golden-yellow color with a two finger white head. The head has a nice level of retention fading slowly over time to leave a rather nice level of lacing.

Smell – The nose of the beer is a mix a lighter bready and malty smell with a moderate amount of citrus hop. The citrus hop is mainly a mix of grapefruit and a small amount of orange and is mixed with a lighter pine and floral hop smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet and malty base mixed with a lighter citrus hop. The sweet flavors are mainly of orange and some other lighter fruits with the hop flavor being initially of a grapefruit taste. As the taste advances further some pine hop flavors come to the tongue with the sweet fading a little. This mix of flavors take the taste to its end ,where they are joined by more grapefruit and a light floral hop flavor. With this is an increase in the orange flavor which in the end produced a rather bitter sweet flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is a little bit on the creamier side with a carbonation level that was average. The creamy body was quite nice for accentuating the hop flavors and allowing them to linger on the tongue, while the carbonation level made it still refreshing and quite drinkable.

Overall – A nice more citrus hop variety of IPA. It has a decent level of sweeter malts to balance out the bitter citrus hop. While not the greatest or most robust, it was a nice easy drinking brew.

2.16/5  rDev -42.2%

Sooo, nota fan of my local BWs but occasionally they surprise me with a decent local or seasonal brew (my neighbor and I figured we'd stop an grab a few). I was informed that this was a strong IPA by our server. Keep in mind I had just hada Guiness and this is written at about 4-5 beers deep in my evening. This is one of my first beer review on this website and I did not take notes like I would have preferred. Here goes.
Overall impression was meh to average. The servers description was a let down. It was NOT strong like he said it was.
My thoughts.
L: Gold hue, I had poor lighting but it had the look of a typical wheat beer. I was surprised at how much head retention it had for an IPA. Maybe half an inch that lasted half way through my consumption.
S: Fruity and/or grainy (Im still working on my "acquired smell").
T (mouthfeel): Crisp and fresh. No after taste. It had a very fruity taste of strawberry or raspberry, it was surprisingly strong. It was so fruity tasting that it had me doubting what the server brought me out. Looking at their on-tap options (no summer, wheat, or fruity type beer) and realizing the good/above average head retention I figured it was in fact truly an IPA-ish or at least it was certainly a craft beer of some sort. As said earlier no after taste.
O: I would give this beer another try but overall I was not impressed. Hoppes didn't even cross my palate. When I drink an IPA I want it to kick me in the ass with hoppiness and not leave an unpleasant bitter after taste (to clarify this beer didn't leave any aftertaste). It also needs to be smooth, light, and crisp (which this beer was). Imma prolly get their sampler 18 pack and write another review. I was driven to write this review because I'm new to BA and because I'm slightly disappointed with a brewery (and beer style that I love) that I've been eyeing for a while.

As stated before I was tasting this beer with a slightly biased palate, I'd like to try this beer again at home with a better glass ( I really dislike BWs glassware). If and when I try this beer again and if I find I have a differing opinion I will adjust this review accordingly. Rock on BA. Love the site.

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

My objective to drink as many IPAs as possible has brought me here, bottle gifted by a cousin, thanks, a new beer and a new IPA for me, never a bad thing. This one wasn't a very good IPA unfortunately.

Beer is reddish amber and clear with a nice head, moderate to low retention, low carbonation.

Aroma is malt with a hint of hops.

Beer is medium in body and pretty malty sweet with this mild earthy hoppiness to it and a mildly bitter / dry finish. It is a boring ale with not enough hop character, I'm surprised this is an IPA, I would have guessed Amber ale. Not a repeat for me.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

12 ounce bottle -> World Market Tulip glass

This offering pours up a beautiful crystal clear gold with a big 2 finger foamy white head, nice retention, and great lacing. Smell is very earthy, maybe mostly hops that I get. Taste is just about pure hops, and a little bit of malt, but very drinkable at the same time. Mouthfeel is nice with medium carbonation. I know it's the in thing not to give Magic Hat a lot of love, but this is a solid offering.

3.47/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy dark golden color with white head.
Aroma is citrusy but not so bitter.
Some great hoppiness in this nose.
Medium body, slight dry finish.
Has a nice balance, not overwhelmingly hoppy.
Overall, this is a beer that is drinkable without being weak, but not a lotover powering of hops.

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Long lasting two finger head. A foggy and hazy golden-yellow

S: A rich aromatic hop scent subtle citrus tone possible a lemon or orange.

T: A slighty sweet and hoppy start the transitions to finish with a even stronger bitter hop.

M: A sharp mouthfeel with smoothens out towards the middle and a bold alcohol bite at the end.

O: A delicious brew but not the best balance in taste as compared to other IPAs. Definitely a more accessible IPA. Would I drink it again? Yes, if in a 12-pack sampler, but wouldn't outright purchase it.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a pint glass, a big, rocky head immediately comes to life. Clear, golden color which is a little light for an IPA, but I don't mind that. Excellent head retention throughout the duration of the beer. A really good looking brew Aroma is good and filled with perfumey hops and freshly cut grass (which I am allergic to, so luckily there is no actual cut grass in the beer). Lots of bready malts to balance the hops in the flavor. A bit resiny but it goes down smooth.

I like this beer a lot. Clean and easy-drinking, it's not an over the top IPA, but I love the way it looks and love the way it tastes. It definitely works for me.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 355ml bottle. Pours a very bright, but cloudy, yellow colour. Lots of enticing tropical fruit and bready malt notes in the nose. Almost like banana bread. On the palate there is a whole lot of strong lingering bitterness that is a nice balance to the ample hops.

3.26/5  rDev -12.8%

Bought this at one of my fav beer stores, and it is because they bring in never-before-seen-in-Victoria breweries and beers like this that keep me coming back!

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a ring of bubbles around the edges. The smell is really hoppy, but right at the end I get a hint of floral soap smell... For such a strong pungent aroma, the flavour is surprisingly mild. It is medium-bodied, a little bready and some caramel. The hop flavour is sort of a mishmash, a little sweet - a little spicy - a little piney - a little citrus. The finish is clean, no lingering hop flavour. Mildly dry finish, evidence of the dry-hopping. Just a touch of booze on the finish, but that's what you get for 6.7%. I guess if I was having this by the pint on-tap I would enjoy it because it is sessionable, but I have to admit I was hoping for something a little raunchier!

3.41/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance - Golden almost straw yellow and cloudy. appears to have some sediment in it. Is this bottle conditioned? If so, the sediment was self induced.

Smell - Citrusy but mild, maybe grapefruit. Slightly floral, but overall no one characteristic stands out in the aroma. Not overpowering, but the aroma is very pleasant.

Taste - a slight malty sweetness turns into a very strong bitterness. The bitterness dries out with the noticeable taste of the dry hopping lingering. I personally prefer dry hopped IPA's and enjoyed this very much. Taste is slightly tilted towards the bitterness and lacks balance.

Mouthefeel - Good carbonation with a nice finish. The mouthfeel is a winner in this beer. The beer does not finish sticky, but it does have a lingering pleasant finish.

Overall - The color is too pale and straw for me and the taste a little too one-sided towards the bitterness. I love the dry hopped dryness that comes through, and the mouthfeel improves the overall impression of this beer. This is a beer I would definately order over most options in a bar, but it won't replace any of my normal IPA favorites.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Pretty decent off white head falls into a nice lacing above a clearish honey golden colored beer.

A light sour on a piney and floral aroma with hint of honey.

A light bitterish dry taste with a nice piney hops bite to it.

Dry aftertaste with some of the hops taste sticking around on this medium bodied beer.

A very decent and easily drinkable IPA.

Hi.P.A. from Magic Hat Brewing Company