Cape Cod Red | Cape Cod Beer

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by Todd on 05-20-2004

Reviews by wizo:

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this on tap at Spanky's in Hyannis, Cape Cod just down the street from the brewery.

As amber ales go, this is close to the best I've had. I'll admit that I don't typically seek out ambers and have only tried about 10 different kinds.

It was smooth and mellow. A well-balanced amber ale with caramel and toffee malt notes and a subtle spicy hop character. The flagship of Cape Cod Beer, this beer won’t steer you wrong! ”

OG: 13.5°P (1.054SG) ABV: 5.5% IBUs: 35
Malts: English – 5 varieties Hops: Domestic – 2 varieties

2.5/5  rDev -33%

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, moderate carbonation, red/brown in color, clear

Smell: toasted malt and caramel

Taste: toasted malt, some hops, and caramel

Mouthfeel: light body, slightly sweet with a bitter backbone, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: A decent caramely red that I could certainly sip a couple glasses of. I could also pass on this just as easily. Red is decent, but Cape Cod makes better offerings.

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1st time there as we are traveling. To be fair I only had their 5 out of 6 samplers. So I only had about 4 oz. to give a review for all of my samples. This one is nice and I would drink it again. Not spectacular but more than averGe

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

A– Poured classic red/amber. Two fingers of head when served. It dissipated quickly and left large circles of lacing to the end.

S- Malt smell with sweet caramel and maybe a touch of pepper.

T- Very good malt flavor, again the caramel shines. Perfect bitterness at the end that doesn’t overpower.

M- Medium feel, smooth, and bitter at all the right spots.

O- I think this could rival “Fat Tire” All the right tastes and textures at the right places. Too bad I can’t get this in bottles in NJ. Solid!

3.39/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

More of a British Red. So-so drinkability.

3.12/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

This was poured into a pint glass. The appearance was a glossy red color with a decent transparency about it. Streams of carbonation were seen rising. Bar pour yielded a film of a white head, barely any lacing. The smell had a toasted caramel to toffee blend in front of a light coffee and then a light bitter piney hops in the background. The taste was moderately sweet with a drawing bitterness trying to come out here and there. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation seemed to be good for the style and to me as there’s a decent smoothness but still allowing a light sharpness over my tongue. Overall, I say this was a good Amber/Red ale I’d probably have again.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

A very nice Amber style beer. Seen on tap in many more places so far this summer. Served on tap at Mahoney in Orleans. Deep amber (duh) color, with a slighty evil dark side to it. Nice frothy head, well done bar keep, whispy and lasting. Strong candy apple on the tongue, slighty bitter in the middle finishes clean.

CCB is doing a nice job promoting itself through grass-roots efforts here on the Cape. In a competitive market, they'll be challenged, but they'll be okay.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer a few days a go, so this is my overall review from what I remember.

Appearance - Pours a dark brownish amber, with a foam head that settles rather quickly.

Aroma - Malty smell with sweet scents that linger on the nose. You can tell it doesn't really have a lot of spice.

Taste - Very good malt flavor, again it's a little sweet, nothing that's overpowering. Maybe a hint of caramel.

Mouth - This beer leaves an incredibly good flavor after it's gone. It goes down real smooth.

Drinkability - This is a very good beer from Cape Cod, I think I could bring down the entire growler by myself. It's not bitter at all, and not overly hoppy. Just a solid Ale.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours an amber red color. Good head, nice lacing but it didn't stay around for long. Smells like malt and a hint of floral floating around in there. The taste is hoppier than I thought it would be with a strong malt finish and bit of berry.

Extremely drinkable and the taste is pretty good. I wasn't expecting much but liked what I had!

Cape Cod Red from Cape Cod Beer