Earl Of Brixom | Short's Brewing Company

Earl Of BrixomEarl Of Brixom

Short's Brewing Company

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Earl of Brixom is an English Dark Mild Ale with a rich brown color and a mocha laced aroma. The overall body is lighter than it appears, yet robust flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, and caramel are prevalent. This beer is filled with flavor, but not overly sweet. The finish is pleasantly clean with a slight, black-coffee-like bitterness.

Added by atone315 on 10-09-2013

Reviews: 16 | Ratings: 111
Reviews by DMarlinJ:

3.04/5  rDev -18.9%

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black with a slight glow of amber when held up to light, 1/2 finger white head.

Smell - Heavy roasted character. Spent coffee grounds, chocolate, caramelized maltiness.

Taste - Again, starts with spent coffee grounds or what might be described as a char like flavor, also barley, then moves into a watered down bitterness that reminds me of dark chocolate, and finally the end brings about a character much along the lines of a medium/dark roast coffee.

Mouthfeel - Thin, heavy carbonation, crisp.

Overall - Not bad. Being considered a mild ale I see why it is thin and some what watered down feeling. Flavor profile and taste are much along the lines of a stout which I like. Rather drink a more full beer but glad that I tried it.

3.64/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked up a bottle of Shorts Earl Of Brixom a few days ago in their new variety pack for 18.99 at The Lager Mill. I had a pint of this beer when I visited the Short's Pub last year and I thought it was a pretty decent example of the style and I'm interested to see how the bottled version is, so lets see how it goes. No Visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little weird looking and the guy on the label reminds of Dwight Shrute from the Office, it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly reddish dark brown color that took on a crimson hue when held to the light with two fingers worth off light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts showing up first and they impart some toasted, grainy, slightly roasted, brown bread, light caramel and a nice chocolate aroma that along with the roasted malt aromas stick out the most. Up next comes a light nutty aroma with a little bit of doughy yeast in the background and there's a slight earthy aroma towards the end. This beer has a nice aroma, it's a little more roasted than I would expect from the style, but I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the roasted malts seeming to stick out the most, but there's also a little watery flavor to it. Up next comes a nice nutty aspect that seems to show up a little more than it did in the aroma and there a little bit of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's a light earthy flavor with hardly any bitterness at all on the finish with a nutty, grainy, and roasted malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, it's pretty much what I would expect from the style.

M- Very smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little dry, slightly watery, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer and it was true to style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a English Dark Mild Ale, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style with all that great drinkability that I always look for in the style. I like Motor City's Ghettoblaster a little more, but I still thought this was a nice beer. This beer had very good drinkability, it was really smooth, clean, slightly crisp, not filling at all and it had just enough flavor to hold my attention, I could drink a six pack of this stuff, it's very drinkable and I think it would be a pretty nice beer to pair with a meal. What I liked the most about beer was the drinkability, they fit a good amount of flavor in a small 3.9% beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was slightly watery, but I think that's to be expected from a 3.9% beer. I would buy this beer again, and I also would buy a six pack of it if they ever decided to release it on it's own. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or easy drinking sessionable beers in general. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid beer, there's was nothing crazy or unusual about this beer, It's just a solid English Dark Mild Ale and I'm glad Short's decided to include this in their new variety pack. Nice job guys, thinks for mixing it up with a style that just don't seem to be that popular in the age of hoppy and barrel aged beers, these milder beers still have a place in my hear and I'm glad Short's doesn't forget about them, keep up the great work.

Earl Of Brixom from Short's Brewing Company