Chatterbox | Short's Brewing Company

good
ChatterboxChatterbox

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Jas45678 on 01-01-2014

3.75/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 12/20/2013. Pours moderately hazy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of tangerine, peach, pineapple, lemon zest, floral, grass, toast, biscuit, light pine, light caramel, and floral/toasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with bright citrus hops and moderate toast/biscuit malt notes; with good strength. Taste of tangerine, peach, pineapple, lemon zest, pine, toast, biscuit, light caramel, floral, grass, and floral/toasted earthiness. Good amount of earthy floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of tangerine, lemon zest, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, grass, toast, biscuit, light caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate toast/biscuit malt flavors; with a great crisp malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice pale ale! All around good balance and complexity of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate toast/biscuit malts; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Chatterbox last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This is the first in Short's new series of Pale Ales that they are releasing this year, I've never had this beer before and I'm interested to see what Short's does with this Pale Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, It looks pretty true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice hoppy fruit aroma that has a nice mix of fruits with some citrus fruit aromas seeming to be the most noticeable, but not by much and there's also some herbal hop aromas in the background that work well with the fruity hops. Up next comes the malts which impart a toasted malt, caramel malt, grainy, and biscuit like aromas that show up just enough. The mixture of fruit aromas and toasted/biscuit malts remind me of Strawberry Shorts Cake. This beer had a pretty good aroma that was pretty unique.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a pretty even mixture of citrus, herbal, and earthy hops with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most and it's followed by a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that borders on being highly bitter. On the finish comes the malts which impart all those nice malt aspects that I got in the aroma and there's also some lingering bitterness with a hoppy and toasted malt aftertaste. This was a pretty nice Pale Ale, but I thought the bitterness could be toned down some.

M- Not that smooth for the style, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish this beer was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and nice and unique example of a American Pale Ale, but I thought it was still a little rough around the edges with a couple aspects that didn't make it as smooth and drinkable as it could be, but besides the bitterness I enjoyed the hop profile. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't as smooth as it should be, but it was clean, crisp, and not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me since I think the bitterness would easily to start to wear on me if I had more than one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both pretty good and I really enjoyed the unique aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of bitterness, I feel like it should be toned down a good amount to give this beer the right bitterness level for the style and as it stands right now it's about at DIPA bitterness and that hurts the drinkability. I might buy another bottle before it's all gone, but I don't think I'll be getting a six pack since it isn't really my kind of Pale Ale and I'm not sure I would recommend it either. All in all I was slightly disappointed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but short's let the bitterness get a little out of hand with this one and that seemed to be the main problem with this beer. It's not my least favorite beer from Short's, but it's my least favorite Pale Ale from them. Better luck next time guys this one could use a little work.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A dark burnt orange color, this pale ale is so thick and murky that it's as close as it could be to opaque while managing the slightest translucence. The off-white head shows creamy stick from good retention, and the layer remaining for the entire session drops lace in a sticky ring at the top with spottier cream the rest of the way down.
Good aromatics in this one show lots of tropical fruits, citrus, grassiness and earth with focus on the raw, juicy fruits. Toast and caramel add just enough to let the hops take the lead but balance nicely.
In the taste, there's a raw and briny pith I'm not expecting. Unexpectedly, it'e the earthier aspect that takes the lead, and it's a shame that the juiciness and raw appeal of the nose is lost. Underneath is lots of raw green and leaf, more pith, and some young wood. It's hoppy, but it loses what's offered in the aroma.
Creamy and crisp at once, the mouthfeel keeps lively for the entirety. With the stange dry/salty/pithy finish, it's not as clean at the end as it could be.

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chatterbox from Short's Brewing Company