London Fog

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
London FogLondon Fog
Notes: London Fog (6.8% ABV – 12 IBU) is a medium-bodied English brown ale made with Earl Grey tea. Notable herbal aromatics including a light citrus spice and a touch of mint are evident from first sniff. Pleasing fruity flavors of peach and raspberry result from the interesting union of malt sweetness and bold tea. A sprinkling of vanilla and milk sugar provide a rich creaminess that coats the palate. Surprisingly, the finish contains only a mild lingering sweetness despite the array of flavors up front.
Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 76 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Quite a unique brew. The tea lightens it up quite a bit from a base sweet brown. The vanilla and lactose smooth out the feel even more. I wouldn’t chase it to grab more, but I enjoy having it in the fridge for a nice change of pace in a session.

3.82/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of Short's London Fog in their winter variety pack. This one sounds interesting, I don't know how it's going to turn out, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy red/brown color that took on more of a ruby and red color when held to the light with almost a finger and a half worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the tea being the first to show up and it imparts a noticeable tea aroma with the earl grey sticking out nicely. Up next comes the malts which impart moe of a caramel malt, caramel, toasted malt, sweet malt and biscuit like aromas with a noticeable English Ale yeast aroma. Towards the end there's a little bit of fruity aroma with a little bit of dark fruits coming through. This beer has a pretty good aroma, it's what I would expect from the description.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the tea being the first to show up and it impart the same aspects that it did in the aroma and the tea flavor is just as noticeable. Up next comes a little more herbal tea flavor followed by the malts which impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma and this time the English yeast is barely noticeable and the dark fruits don't shows up very much either. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, it is what it says it is.

M- Fairly smooth, creamy, slightly cloying, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice, but I wish it wasn't slightly cloying.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice and I thought it was a good example of the style, it lived up to the description and it had all the different aspects I was expecting and they worked better together than I thought it would. This beer had ok drinkability, one is enough for me, It might start to ware on me after that. What I like the most about this beer is that is lives up to it's description, it doesn't disappoint. What I like the least about this beer is the sweetness, I wish it was toned down just a little. I might buy this beer again and I wouldn't turn one down. I would recommend giving it a try if the description sounds good, but I don't think it's a must try. All in all I liked this beer and I was impressed with how well the flavors came together. It's not a favorite Shorts beer and it's a nice example of an experimental beer. Nice job guys, this is a tasty and unique beer.

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

Become one of my favorite brown ales, although it's a bit of a departure from the norm. Pour is pretty standard for a brown, with a few fingers of khaki head afloat mahogany liquid. Foam dissolves to nothing, no lacing, nada.
Aroma is caramel malt, dark bread, slightly fruity, milky sweetness, and Earl Grey.
Taste has all those qualities with a finish of raspberries and peach syrup on the tongue. Feel is smooth and full.

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

We recently began getting distro of Short's B.C. beers here in south-central PA & I am pretty excited about it! I have known those guys for years, between BA fests in BOS & my (usually) annual excursion to Madison, WI for the GTMW. I don't care if they are in bottles since I never expected them to come to me!

From the bottle: "Handmade by people who care. (tm)"

I Pop!ped the cap and really let fly on the pour since this was a VERY fresh bottle. I will readily cop to doing a little reading up on this one. It turns out that there is another beverage by this name that combines Earl Grey tea, steamed milk and vanilla syrup. This knowledge may help in guiding my review. I like getting smarter! I got two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, light-tan head with decent retention for my efforts. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity and amber highlights. Brown?!? Pshaw! Nose had a sweet tea-like quality, reminiscent of what they serve down South & which is commercially available locally at Turkey Hill Minit Markets. I would have guessed tea even without looking at the label. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was definitely of sweet tea, although I would not have been able to parse its sweetness down as deeply as milk & vanilla. Hell, I barely recognized this as beer! Given its color, I might have actually thought that it was tea, given the right presentation. Finish remained sweet and very much of sweet iced tea. I am impressed that they were able to impart such flavors, but I am not a sweet tea drinker, so this left me kind of cold. I wonder if I might enjoy it more on a hot, humid summer's day when tea might be more apropos. For now, this just was not mu cuppa tea (sorry).

4.26/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This tastes like a barleywine lite. Malty, some tea on the nose, bready malt.

The taste is the best part of this. If you don't want a heavy duty barleywine try this. Quite enjoyable style that I wish more brewries made.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip pint.

Appearance
Amber/brown with a short tan head that dissipates quickly. Good clarity with slight suspended yeast and moderate carbonation.

Nose
Caramel, brown sugar, raisin, and vanilla.

Taste
Caramelized brown sugar with notes of chai tea and orange zest. The Earl Grey tea comes through nicely. Hints of coffee with extra cream and some earthy hops.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied, smooth, and sweet.

Overall
English Brown, Earl Grey, and lactose. A very unique blend of flavors.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/17/2015. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy deep ruby red/brownish color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, black tea, raisin, plum, cherry, apple, herbal, light pepper/vanilla, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy tea/hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of big caramel, brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, black tea, raisin, plum, cherry, apple, herbal, light pepper/vanilla, and yeast/toasted earthiness. Light herbal/spicy bitterness and slight yeast tartness; with lingering notes of caramel, brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, nuttiness, black tea, raisin, plum, cherry, apple, herbal, light pepper, and yeast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance dark/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy tea/hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready, and slightly sticky/chalky balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice English brown ale style. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance dark/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy tea/hop flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. I didn’t get much vanilla in this, but the Earl Grey tea fit perfectly with the style. A very enjoyable offering, and spot on for the style as well.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. A "cup-o-tea-with-milk" interpretation; interesting. Pours a crimson brown. Smells very sweet. I think it smells too heavy on the lactose & vanilla and too light on the actual tea. Also smells like bananas. The flavor is unique. I still get a very sweet banana flavor. The tea should be stronger. The vanilla and lactose bring a lot of that sweet cream flavor. As it warms you get more tea. Creamy feel. One of these is mildly interesting; not exactly excited to polish off the other two from a mix 12 pack.

3.46/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark red with little to no head or lacing. Aromas of peanut butter and not much else. Taste follows the nose with a very creamy peanut butter like flavor and perhaps some vanilla as well. Mouthfeel is light, creamy, with low carbonation.

Really unique and true to Shorts philosophy. I get the idea of trying to incorporate the tea and milk aspect into the beer. I definitely get the sweetness from the lactose but the spices from the tea and malts from the brown ale base weren't there. Fun to try nevertheless.

Cheers!

4.01/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this on-tap at HopCat Detroit's grand opening.

Brown ale? Is it? I probably remember this beer the least out of the beers I had at HopCat's opening... seeing it was brewed with Earl Grey tea (my personal favorite tea), I was hoping it would taste good, and it really does. Really clean and easy drinking beer that, to me, does taste like Earl Grey... in beer form. There's almost a slight tartness to it or something, but I may have imagined that, unless they put some actual fruit into the beer. Short's should really bottle this stuff at least once.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Such a unique beer. Had at Shorts 11yr party in Bellaire on draft.

Think earl grey tea mixed with a very light burnt malty brown ale flavor. Such a fun beer. Awesome !

Update: ABV has since gone up to 6.75% Had on tap at WOB canton 3/10/17 Still excellent ! More mouthfeel / body and carbonation is still just right for the style.

London Fog from Short's Brewing Company