Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale
4.04/5
Exceptional

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

4.2

Ratings: 2,252 |  Reviews: 729

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

GREAT BEER. If you like hoppy beer this one is for you. Enjoyed it and will go out of my way to get it. Shorts Brewery does a lot of "interesting" with their beers. I enjoy this beer every time I drink it and recommended to anyone. As longs as the like a hoppy beer. Love the smell, appearance, and after taste.

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

A great example of what an IPA should be.

A - Deep Gold in color with a 1 finger bubbly white head on it that leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S - The hops are very fragrant in this beer. They range from piney to grassy to grapefruity.

T - The taste is exceptional in this beer. The hops and the malt are very well balanced. It has a slightly sweet toffee-like malty flavor as well as a toasty malt flavor. This is accompanied by a stong hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied.

O - Wow. What a great beer. Has a whallup of hop flavor and aroma, but it is balance well with the malt. I will definately be buying more of these. Now if only it didn't cost $14 a six pack.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

We recently began getting distro of Short's B.C. beers here in south-central PA & I am pretty excited about it! I have known those guys for years, between BA fests in BOS & my (usually) annual excursion to Madison, WI for the GTMW. I don't care if they are in bottles since I never expected them to come to me!

From the bottle: "A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth"[.]"; "Handmade by people who care. (tm)"

This is my sixth bottle of theirs and I am really enjoying Pop!ping the caps! I have a local artist who makes all sorts of things out of spent caps & so I am putting the Short's caps aside especially for a clear resin coaster. In the interim, I employed a heavy-handed pour, creating three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. I watched in awe as it slid downwards, leaving heavy, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), which led to a visit from the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all vying for a taste. Nose was deeply citrusy with loads of grapefruit notes, making my mouth water & reminding me that I am a self-described/avowed hophead. The monkey on my back does not screech & howl like he used to, but he is still there, giving me the occasional jones, like right now! Mouthfeel was medium. The theme park is now open! Malt?!? Yeah, if you say so! Man, this was like a hot shot of hops, mainlined & presented for my drinking pleasure! It is said that the critical mistake that many lapsed junkies make is returning to the same dosage at which they left off, usually leading to a fatal O.D. Not me, man! This perked me right up in ways that morning coffee can only dream. It was definitely hoppy with a grapefruit-citrus bitterness and a whole-flower freshness that is unbeatable! I listened as a server told a customer that she is not into this beer for all of the reasons that I just outlined. I simply smiled a sweet smile & promptly ordered one for myself. I have to say, between this one & Soft Parade, these were the causes of my excitement! The others are gravy on the biscuits, but those two drive the train. Finish was dry, bitter, flowery and everything that I want in an AIPA. Q: At what point WRT ABV does it become a DIPA? Curiosity is all.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

A- poured a slight amber golden color. the slightest off white thick foamy head. medium lacing.

S- just hops. earthy and citrusy

T- just how it smells but with a caramel malt backup blended just right.

M- medium light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- could try to drink a whole 6. on my 4th right now and feelin pretty good(abv).

Overall- this beer is how a michigan ipa should be made. this goes in the pack of bell's two hearted and dark horse's crooked tree even tho the crooked has more of a malt blend. if you're an ipa fan and like the bitterness you should totally try this brew.

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company