Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

Ratings: 2,225 |  Reviews: 724
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured to a nice two fingered head that was offwhite in color. Ale itself was brownish golden in color. Left some nice lacing with every swallow. Had that piney, hoppy, malt smell going on. Tastes of pine, hops, and malt. Had a little bit of bitter aftertaste that was stronger than I liked. Aftertaste hung around for a while. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was right. Overall I thought it was a good brew by Shorts. Id buy again.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Got this one as an extra, I wish I kept a log. Thanks to whoever that was.

Appears cloudy but bubbly in my Sam Adams Sensory glass. Not much in the way of head or retention. Apple cider look.

Smells very fruity. Excuse my smell sense, I haven't reviewed in a while so I can't get much more specific than that. It is an enticing smell.

Taste is a bit subdued compared to the smell, definitely some bitterness and a good taste, just a bit more mild than I would prefer.

Mouth is thin and bubbly, a good mix, though I have been shown a thicker IPA and it was damn good.

Another goodie from Shorts.

Thanks Eric for the hookup

Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch of a loose white head. There is almost no lacing, haze, or sediment. The nose is slightly hoppy with a lot of malty sweetness. The hops aren't particularly citrusy, more resiny and earthy. The beer drinks with major sweetness upfront followed by a dry residual bitterness. I like the sweetness, but they could have done a lot more with their hops. Once the beer warms the sweetness becomes more pronounced & helps to balance out the beer's intense bitterness.
I would probably pass on trying this beer in the future.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

A finger+ of off white head. Amber/Orange color with a slight haze and a touch of visible carbonation.  A decent amount of lacing.

Aroma is a nice mix of fresh pine, fairly perfume like with a sense of toasted malt just below the assertive hop aroma.

Frankly a bit shocked this is only 7% abv. Drinks bigger and you can sense the alcohol. Resin/piney hop flavors dominate with an assertive bitterness to finish. The malt backbone makes its presence known but plays only a supporting role. The bitter aftertaste is quite aggresive.

A touch sticky, hangs in your mouth and a resin or oil like coating on your tongue.

Decent. The sense of the raised abv is a bit too much for my liking.

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Great to see this bottled! Pours into my glass a somewhat hazy deep orange with a half inch of creamy white head on top that leaves sticky lacing on the side of the glass. So far so good. Aromas smack upfront with a mix of piney, herbal and citric hop tones. Smooth caramel malt backbone that is sort of fruity as well. Quite a collusion of hops in the glass.

First sip is a wash of hop oils rushing across the palate. Pine, citrus and resin rolls across the tongue along with a biting bitterness that lasts all the way through. The malt has some caramel and light toast and it barley holds up to the brash hops in this brew. Slightly fruity throughout, it rolls down with more green hop cone accents and another kick of bitterness on the back of the palate that lingers.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a good flow of carbonation. An easy drinking IPA...but you better love hops and bitterness before messing with this one! I can't really say it's balanced as the hops kick the malts ass here and the bitterness lingers on long after each sip. Quite tasty for a hophead and quite a bold IPA. I think it's a bit too bitter to session with.

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF #3.

Blind Beer #8 of 12 thanks to mtunnell.

12 oz bottle poured into my unlabeled tulip.

Beautiful translucent dark golden yellow with a mountain of eggshell frothy head. As it recedes, craters become abundant, though it takes minutes.

The first thing on the nose was pine and lemon. But those aromatics quickly yield to some more subtle lemon notes, and a hint of funk. Part of me wants to say saison, but it's lacking some of the yeast notes I'd expect. There is a tiny bit of spice in there along the lines of coriander or a dash of nutmeg. This doesn't seem added, but rather a yeast byproduct. The nose is making me think some type of IPA, or maybe a belgo-IPA. As it warms, I get a bit more pine, garlic and onion. Definitely some crazy hop action going on here.

Time to dive in...Very little up front. Maybe some light funkiness, but there is virtually no sweetness in this beer. As it lingers on the tongue, i start to pick up a little lemon before swallowing. Then, oh, man, does that bitterness hit! This is in no way a balanced beer! That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the IBUs are way high for this residual sweetness. I have to dive in for more to see if I pick up anything besides bitter...There is definitely some phenolic notes lingering after the finish. I can't stop trying to get it off my tongue. Man this beer is dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with some sharp carbonation hitting the sides of the tongue like it's being squeezed by a vice with spikes. Wow...No oiliness. Just plain dry finish.

Overall, this is a very complex beer. Very clean and somewhat one dimensional. It's not in balance, yet I can't seem to help diving in for more just seconds later. Though my tongue is going to need days to recuperate, it's still strangely drinkable.

I still think this is some sort of big double IPA now, however, there's some sort of twist that I can't figure out. Maybe it's a 100 IBU saison or something. The color is too pale for most IIPAs I've had so I'm at a loss here. I'd still say something along the lines of a devil dancer or the like (but not due to bottle shape). I'm positive i've never had this beer before, though.

Time for the reveal: Short's Huma Lupa Licious!

Sweet! Never thought I'd get to try this bad boy. Tastes super fresh! Thanks, Matt.

Anyway, time for the rating (as a single IPA!): 5.0/4.0/3.5/3.5/4.0

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A hopped up kick to the moth. Very bitter, but full of flavor. If you love IPA's then give this beer a try. The hopiness/bitterness can be overpowering, one and done kind of beer. Love Shorts brewing company. blah blah vlah blah blah blah blah blah blah gsfnsfn

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -5%

12 oz bottle served in a Goose Island IPA tulip - thanks, Donerik!

A - Golden-orange, hardly any head, decent lacing

S - Grapefruit, floral hops, caramel, and oranges

T - Bitter citrus hops (and lots of them) --> oranges and a little malty sweetness --> more grapefruit and pine, with some metallic taste. The finish and aftertaste are very bitter and dry.

M - Low carbonation, medium-bodied

D - The combination of a ton of hops (positive) and the metallic finish and aftertaste (negative) give this good, not great drinkability.

This is a pretty good beer, but it could be great. I like Hangin' Franks substantially more than this due to its lack of metal in the flavor. I adore bitterness, but this particular profile is a little too metallic for me to wholeheartedly love.

3.82/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I sampled this at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Deep golden colour; off-white head, little retention, hints of lace.

S: Grapefruit citrus with a little dark toffee.

T: Grapefruit juice, very light malt (bready). Alcohol is well-hidden by the hop flavour. Nice, but not a lot of depth/flavour. I think it could use some more bitterness.

M: Light to moderate carbonation. Very well attenuated, body is on the light side of moderate.

D: Quite quaffable! Alcohol could be trouble.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

A-golden amber with an inch of rocky foamy head looks awesome.

S- Can smell hops, pine and citrus

T- Definitely more citrus than hops coming through. A light bit of pine in the taste, but very a lot of citrus with faded hops.

M-Smooth at the front bitter at the end

D- Could drink several of these without complaint.

Notes: Not the most impressive IPA I have ever tasted. However, I have a feeling that this one may have been old although it is impossible to tell with no freshness date.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Color good and cloudy light Amber. Smell of, get this....peanuts and dress grass. Taste hits you in the hoppy section of your tongue. A hop-explosion to the maxx. Very well crafted. Not over powering or under whelming. Shorts has piqued my interest.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Light copper color with a quarter finger of white head with some sticky lacing.

S: The nose has that nice hop sweetness that reminds me of Alpha King. A touch of grapefruit but the nose does not really jump and and grab you though it is enjoyable.

T: The taste is nice and super balanced. The malt comes across nicely but the hops just are not there like you would want them in an IPA. More sweet than anything else. There is some bitterness in the finish. Don't get me wrong this is a good IPA but it lacked that wow factor for me.

M: A little on the thin side for me. Carbonation was nice.

D: Glad I grabber a sixer of this out in Boston. This is a solid IPA but it is the most boring IPA I have ever had because I know what they can do. They almost should not even make an IPA. That being said this is solid.

3.84/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden orange color with almost no head. Leaves a thin ring of lacing with moderate carbonation. Smells of citrus fruits like grapefruit and tangerine, some dankness to it, some pine, an herbal spiciness, light carmel and bread. Taste starts with lots of grapefruit, little tangerine, some pine, and grass. The middle bring a tiny amount of malt characteristics to somewhat balance it. Light carmel and some grain. Then it finishes very resinous with notes of pine, grapefruit rind, maybe blood orange, light carmel. Pretty spicy finish actually with a lingering bitterness. High medium body with a very oily and creamy texture. I’m a hophead, so I’m really glad I got to try this. It was not as fresh as I would like, but it is still a really solid ipa. If I lived in Michigan, I would definitely have this more often.

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company