Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale

Short's Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

Reviews: 705 | Ratings: 2,158
4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Served on-tap at the Old Chicago in Okemos, MI.

A huge 25 oz. mug of this bad boy. A lovely orange with white sudsy head that left webby lace.

Smelled strongly of citrusy hops as well as some pine. Let me know I was in for a strongly hoppy treat.

Taste: Strongly hoppy with sweet honey malts, pineapple hops, and citrus. Ended bitter and resiny. Yum. Reminded me of Majaraha. A wee bit on the bitter side for me, but hoppy and delicious.

MF and D) Sharp carbonation, tingly, medium body. Delicious and easy to drink. I actually guessed the alcohol was higher than it is, at 7-8%, but that was based on how I was feeling, not the presence of alcohol in the taste or feel.

A good MI IPA. I'll get it again.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Got from FlanderNed, thanks! Look out...gusher! Served at fridge temp. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Allagash tall snifter. Pours a pale golden color with a gigantic white frothy head...which lasts a long time! Appearance is very hazy. Leaves great patchy/frothy lacing.

Aroma is pleasant...lots of citrus and hops. Picking up crisp fruit, grapefruit. Slightly malty aroma.

Flavor is very good! Light, crisp, and hoppy mouthfeel! The hops are semi sweet and bitter for a great transition. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Not boozy...lots of citrus and grapefruit like flavors. Overall, a very good and impressive IPA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an English dimpled "pot" pint glass
Deep burnt orange in color with a nice fluffy head of foam
Aroma-Fresh citrussy hops
Taste-Big hits of Sweet malt, fresh hops, and orange -rind bitterness.Nicely balanced honey sweetness with fresh hop lingering bitterness
Overall, another tasty, snappy North Coast IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

140 IBU advertized. i believe it, this one is not for the faint of heart, though more drinkable than other IBU landmines out there, like Resin, IMVHO. the malts do balance this one out. nice floral nose too.

4.24/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a slightly hazy burnt orange color and has a 2 finger bubbly eggshell white head. Leaves many hanging sheets of lacing. Smell is dank, floral, pine, earthy, grapefruit with some honey like sweetness from the malt. Taste is the same with the pine and floral tastes being the most dominant with a decent malt backing that holds up pretty well against the instense piney bitterness. Feel is medium and very resinous with good carbonation. Overall this beer is great and I wish it was available in my area.

4.24/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Church Key during Savior Week. Poured into a small snifter.

Huma Lupa is Stones Enjoy By without the huge aroma. Very good. Very drinkable. 4.25

A – Pours a clear golden with a minimal head (I was in a bar so could be the pour, won't subtract on the score). 4

S - Sweetness and aroma that matches the taste. 4.25

T - Nicely hoped. Resinous, grapefruit rind, a bit of grassy. 4.25

MF - Medium body with a dry finish. 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Great looking golden amber hue that's somewhat transparent. About a finger of head when it was poured, then dissipates down to a sticky froth. Great citrusy and piney smell from the hops. A dream to smell! A great malt backbone that has caramel notes, but also well balanced with the citrusy and piney hop bitterness. A true rollercoaster of malt and hops! It has a medium mouthfeel and it leaves the mouth a little dry. Overall, a great IPA, and one that I wouldn't hesitate to get again and again.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured about 14 oz. out of my home tap system into a snifter.

A- Poured a dark amber with about a quarter inch of white head.

S- A beautiful aroma of a heavy dosage and wide variety of hops.

T- As expected lots of hops. There is however and slight hint of malt in the background, which, no doubt contributes to the 6.7% ABV.

M- Good carbonation (Set at 5 PSI). I can definitely feel the bitterness on my tongue.

D- I cannot drink too much of this beer consecutively.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Super thanks to gnemesis for the amazing box of Short's he sent my way!!!

a - poured the 12oz'er into my capt lawrence tasting tulip. classic transparent honey copper with a white foamy bubbly head that hung around for a while.

s - sweetened hops. the malts really chill out the hops on this and hop profile is relatively tame. i actually dig this over the in your face knock you down hopping. citirically sweet.

t - what wasn't there hopwise in the nose is certainly in the flavor. really nice. hoppy flavor dominates at first, ends with a soft piney bitterness. earthy grapefruit with a gentle sweetening in the middle. quite good and quite balanced.

m/d - medium bodied with a cooling oh so subtle bitter aftertaste. kind of filling. this is a really nice ipa. i'd put it against any of the well known and talked about ipas out there.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

The beer that got me into IPA's,

Smell: Pine, grapefruit and good weed. I've never picked up on the latter until recently.

Taste: Hops. The taste really grows on me from the beginning to the end no matter if I drink it out of a bottle or on-tap.

Overall, a fantastic IPA. Medium body but with a huge bite to it. This beer is definitely for the IPA lover.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Got this brew as an extra from heliosphann. Thanks a ton Scott!

Pours a hazy orange amber into a Darkness tulip. Nice tan head with decent retention, with a creamy consistency. Leaves a little lacing here and there.

The nose is surprisingly malty. There is a nice piney bitterness going on, but the malt backbone sticks out.

The taste department is much more bitter than the nose leads on. Piney and resiny hops dominate and the bitterness takes over, almost completely covering up the malt backbone. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice bitter bite. Appropriate carbonation level. Nice lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is good.

A great introductory brew to Shorts. I'm impressed. It's not the best IPA in the world, but it's definitely a tasty and easy drinking one. Maybe not the IPA for someone who is just starting out with craft beer, but if your a hop head you'll like this one.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Deuane for the trade, I poured this 12oz into a taster, shared w/ tenderbranson69.

A - beautiful apricot shade w/ 1/2 inh white cap thatt is bubbly. The head becomes lace that sticks well. There is light haze and the beer is fine

S - A fruity citrus hop aroma w/ orange-like odors and a nice grapefruity nose w/ light nutty malt scent

M - A moderate carbonation mixed w/ med high bitterness and subtle malt under acidity of citrus hops juicy feel w/ a dry overall texture

T - Very high bitter flavor from the hop taste eases into a spiced green pepper and citrus essence followed by toasted taste and piney high alpha flavor. The malt adds a great sweet base for the herbal and mildly grassy taste as it finishes

D - A great IPA, interesting hop usage and the malt is not neglected keeping the hops from outshining the beers overall flavor and making it too bitter. This is a beer worth returning to.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to iceicebaby for this one!

"A complex malt and hop them park in your mouth"
I guess I am ready for the ride!

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Pours 1 and 1/2 fingers of off white head (slight orange hued). Decent retention with really nice lace. Color is a bright hazed pumpkin orange. I really like the color. 4.5

Aroma: Wow, the aroma is great. I am liking this a lot more than the west coast IPAs I have had lately. This one is so fruity and has a bouque of floral hops. Mangos and grapefruit dominate the nose. 4.5

Taste: There is a big caramel malt flavor here that I didn't pick up in the nose. The floral hops are well done here, however. Nice fruits in the background to really pull this ipa together. 4

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bitter. The bite isn't too hardcore which is nice. Medium bodied with a fairly good amount of carbonation. I would give this a 4.5, but it leaves a dry, hoppy aftertaste that I am not fond of. 4

Overall, I am really impressed with this beer. It is a great IPA and I wish I had access to this on a regular basis. All the elements of this beer fit so well together. My first Short's beer and I am impressed. 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Bought a new liter stein so I thought I'd christen it with this

A: a clear gold-orange color with minimal light head and not much lacing

S: hops, and alot of it too , very strong aroma

T: bread, malts, grain, citrus and hop loaded, very strong after taste.

M: mild amount of carbonation, very smooth, with strong after taste

O: Not much of a fan of IPAs, the hops are usually too over bearing for me, but not this one. There is a strong presence of hops both before and after but its not offensive, which is surprising to me for being an IPA, a pleasant surprise from one of my favorite breweries.

4.26/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A - beautiful golden color, almost orange, this beer almost looks like it is glowing, small white head is present

S - nice sweet, citrus hop smell

T - the hoppy bitterness seems to wrap around and pummel my tongue, a nice malty sweetness up front, the hops really seem to linger after swallowing this one causing me to take another swallow, the bitterness present makes me think DIPA not IPA

M - mild carbonation and a medium body

D - I really enjoy this beer, if this was available near me this would be a regular. The bite at the end of this beer really makes me want to take another swallow leading me to drink this one pretty quick. The pummeling it gives my taste buds though make me only want to have one of these at a time but I would definitely come back to this one again!

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at the brewpub in mid-July.

A: The IPA is an amber color, a few shades of orange away from being the bottle it was served from. The ale is fairly clear with a sturdy orange glow. Half a finger of head is precariously lacing around the mouth of the glass.

S: The nose is a hefty dose of hops, pine and citrusy in a resiny masterpiece. Citrus peel and a dash of pepper round out a beautiful nose.

T: Ahh, peppery hops. This one is not lacking in that department. The pine and orange peel are abundant, heavy-handed and domineering throughout. At least until the caramel malt rears it head. The breadiness is a great pairing with the hops, able to withstand the sheer brute force. The hops really stand out though, coating with a resinous finish.

M: The ale is dominated by spicy hops, of both citrus and pine origin. If you aren't into hops, move along, there's nothing to see here.

D: I am so glad that I picked up a six pack (to go with a growler...). The hoppiness, especially when fresh, is a great draw.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

On draft at HopCatz. Golden amber in color with a sizable head. Smell is all hops. Resiny and floral. Right there with some of the better made IPA's. Mouthfeel was crisp and smooth for the amount of hops present. Really enjoyed the pint and didn't tire of drinking it. Very good.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Acquired via trade from jayli, so a big “Thank you” goes out to her. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out strong burst of grassy hops bitterness followed by some citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides a good balance but the hops presence clearly dominates. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is a very solid IPA worth pounding down for a long time.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

I got this on tap at HopCat (4 Short's on tap) in Grand Rapids - and ordered a growler of this to go. This is my first experience with Short's brewery.

I poured into a large tulip glass and t was a cloudy copper/amber color... very floral and hoppy. One finger of head that quickly dissipated leaving a circle that laces the glass as I drink it down.

Bold flavor with hints of malt and caramel and citrus. There's something light-fruity here - maybe apples? While the flavor is bold, the body is light enough that it's very drinkable.

Definitely recommend it if you ever find it anywhere. It's quite difficult to find.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

This Michigan specimen poured cold into the pint glass, yet another Ohoove "import", shows a cloudy orange-golden amber hue with a decent off-white head and lots of lacing. The aroma is a great piny and citrus blend with nutbread throughout, smooth but evidencing good bitterness. The taste brings out lots of bitter pine, peppered with lively carbonation in a beautiful, near full bodied brew. I get hints of earthy rye and light lemon. This stuff just disappears into the old gullet, very drinkable if you crave the bitter hops as you should! I loved it and could see this being a showstopper beer for a backyard get together as much as about any other occasion that a drinkable tasty brew is appreciated.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle courtesy of BA beereality.

Nice hop bouquet, although I've smelled some that were more complex, namely Samuel Smith IPA. The hop profile tastes a lot like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine, but the beer lacks the nice light caramel of Bigfoot. I have to say that this beer a bit on the hoppy side, and lacks the malty sweetness to balance the bitterness.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this one on tap at Hopcat.

A- Pours a hazy orangish red with a nice fluffy white head that left a good amount of layered lacing.

S- Citrus and pine hop aroma. A bit of caramel malt in the background.

T- Taste of citrus and piney hops with a good resiny taste and balanced out with a bready malt taste.

M- Medium to full in body. Nice and oily finish.

D- High for this IPA as it is nearly perfectly balanced between malt and hop.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer is clearish muddy orange with a very whispy white head that is gone right away. Light lacing.

The aroma is medium displaying some nice balance of sweet grapefruits contracted with some pine hop notes.

The taste is little sweet on the front but dead then brings lots of flavor on the back with piney hops. This is a really nice smooth hop that makes it easy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

To me, this beer is a cross between Bell's Hopslam and Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, which can't be a bad comparison. Great appearance, I can't even pour the entire 12 ounce bottle into my Sam Adams sensory glass, so I swig the last couple ounces from the bottle. Mmmmm, good !! I ask anyone who has tried Bells' Hopslam and Two-Hearted Ale, to try this Short's brew and see if maybe I'm not totally crazy. I am so happy I found this brew at the New Buffalo (MI) Pharmacy on March 14 and even happier I have a six pack to enjoy. This American IPA is totally opposite of the Arcadia English IPA I enjoyed to start my night of drinking. But if you have the chance to try either Short's Huma Lupa Liscious or Arcadia's IPA, I say go for it. Drinkability scores a bit down because at 7.0 ABV, I don't think I could handle any more than two of these -- well maybe threee -- in a sitting. Thanks Michigan, for some great brews!!

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Orange-copper center that yellows on the edges. Fluffy two-finger head of off white foam that settles, but lasts. Liquid-y, foamy lacing.

S: Citrusy, grapefruit hops smell. Smells sticky and delicious. Some piney hints. Smell is definitely present, but not quite as full as it could be.

T: Sharp bitter center hits the tongue like a good IPA should. Taste isn't balanced much by malts, but that's not bad in my book. A bit of pine in the finish.

M: Sharp carbonation hits the front and sides of the tongue. The carbonation blast is followed by an exquisitely dry finish.

D: A delicious IPA worthy of trying out. Glad I'm up in Michigan from time to time so I can pick this up. Enough heft and body that it would be great any time of the year.

Served: in a faceted mug.

Review from notes taken on: 11/3/09.

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company