Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale
4.04/5
Exceptional

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

4.2

Ratings: 2,283 |  Reviews: 735

Good overall hoppy flavor. Clean finish.

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

Review from Fall 2012

A: Amber in color, quite cloudy from accidentally pouring in the bottle sediment. Fairly creamy looking white head on top. Lacing is quite good.

S: Some pine and maybe some buiscuty malts in there. Not much else going on.

T: This is a beer taste experience quite unlike anything else ive had before. Not in a good way either. Upfront, i basically get no taste. Like the beer is using some sort of cloaking device to pass over my tongue and get down my throat without leaving any delicious hop goodness behind. All that is left for my dumbfounded taste buds is an aftertaste flavor decoy consisting of raw IBUs and some resin.

M: Not that great. Fairly thin and sort of bubbly

O: One of my biggest beer disappointments to date. From this bottle I cannot understand its high rating. I love hop bitterness, but there must be good flavors to accompany that. Perhaps the sediment through the whole beer out of whack, but I feel like there really wasn't enough of it to accomplish that. A let down overall.

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

2.88/5  rDev -28.7%

Review from notes from last night

A - Chill-haze laden amber-orange with a half finger white head. Retention is nice, head reduces to a small wisp but remains for a while. Mediocre lacing.

S - Sweet caramel and lemon, bitter citrus and floral hops. Something off about the hops, as if they've taken on a bit of a rotten characteristic.

T - Tastes sweet and bitter, but without much in the way of distinct flavors. Malty and bready, with a touch of caramel flavor and floral hop, but largely devoid of distinct flavors. Reminds me of Saranac IPA which I don't love. Hops seem to provide bitterness only, with very little flavor. Way too bitter and unbalanced.

M - Medium to light body, a little watery. Drying on the palate but wet on the tongue, a little odd. Not bad, but another letdown in an average-at-best beer.

O - Just not great. Looks and feels just OK. Aroma is average at best, and the taste is bland and far too bitter. Other brews with lots of hops balance the bitterness with flavors, to great effect. This beer is lacking. Glad I got to try it, thanks for the trade extra!

2.87/5  rDev -29%

A: Poured a nice pale gold with a decent one finger fluffy white head.

S: Lots of pine and resin hop notes here. Nothing "fruity" here if that's what you are looking for but there is a very slight sweetness. Strong biscuit and slight caramel malt backbone.

T: Bitter astringent hops first and foremost. This is followed by a slight raw grain taste. I hate to say this, but there was some weird taste that I couldn't really put my finger on...I'm not sure if it was some weird interaction with the pizza I was eating but I got a funky somewhat fecal taste briefly. Then it finished very astringently, like crushed aspirin.

M: Creamy body with a nice medium carbonation. Finishes super dry though due to the strong astringent nature.

O: I can't really make out what is written on the label, I'm assuming its a date, but considering this just showed up in MA like two weeks back I'd hope its not that old. Either way, pretty decent nose on this one but I really didn't enjoy the taste or drying finish.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a hazy burnt orange with a nice 2" chalk white collar of foam. Not much on the nose here, even with a heavy pour and a lot of head. Feint citrus, but that's about it. The taste was also underwhelming with bland flavor. Mid to low carbonation in this one. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. I was really looking forward to trying this and ended up disappointed.

2.87/5  rDev -29%

A: pours out a hazy, straw yellow color with a white head that sits around for a while. there are strings of carbonation running up the glass.

S: smells of citrusy and piney hops. i gets hint of bread and light grain and some fruity esters maybe even some banana.

T: it has a clean hop taste. i get some citrus flavor, and piney hops. it finishes dry and bitter. i get a little soapy flavor (possibly from glass?)

M: it has a nice light mouthfeel.

D: the soapy flavor is throwing this off for me. i am hoping it is just the glass. ill have to retry this.

2.83/5  rDev -30%

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%

I was really excited to try this beer as I always am with Shorts. Or as I like to call them, the brewery that makes some really weird-ass-hit-or-miss-push-the-envelope brews.

This one was a total miss for me. Seriously, nothing redeeming in it at all. I'm hoping I just got an old bottle because reading the recent reviews, this isn't the same shit I'm drinking. Even the PB&J which was extremely tart and sour, I could find some good qualities in it.

Time really makes quite a difference in an IPA to me. It can take a great beer and just add syrupy fecal notes to it. Hopefully I'll get another *fresh* bottle of this and re-review from that.

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%