Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

Ratings: 2,219 |  Reviews: 722
3.9/5  rDev -3%

Picked up this morning while in Grand Rapids. Drinking fresh this evening at home 6 hours away.

Consumed in a Unibroue tulip glass. Light copper color with puffy, one-finger white head that falls leaving a solid white film on the glass.

Initial aroma is sweet and fruity with perhaps a touch of floral.

First couple of sips have what I consider a dirty finish. I prefer the clean, crisp finishing IPA's. A couple of sips later my mouth is acclimated to the flavor and it's drinking better (I'm drinking this after a Short's pale ale).

3.94/5  rDev -2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Got this brew I've been dying to try from someone way farther than me from where you can buy this, how crazy is that? Thanks mikesgroove!

A: Pours a slightly hazy (cold haze) yellow orange golden color with a finger of white bubbles that reduces down to just a thin film of head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells awesome, like a slam of hops (hint hint), grapefruit and citrus is so wonderfully overpowering in a great way. I try to see if I can find malt in there and maybe i'm tricking myself but i feel like there is a pinch.

T: Whoa, not what I was expecting...I get a lot of hop bitterness, but flavor-wise there is a solid amount of malt bite there too. I'm curious as to how fresh this is now or if it's usually this way. Not exactly an alcohol flavor in there but you can tell it's packing an IPA ABV rather than a regular pale ale.

M: Very full bodied, well carbonated, great mouthfeel that almost feels like DIPA territory

D: Not bad, but not great. I like the sweeter hoppy variety IPAs and this one isn't so sweet, has a lot of malt bite that I usually don't prefer, and even though you can't really taste the alcohol, it won't fool you into thinking it's low ABV.

The flavor I wish was more like the smell with hop/citrus overload but it's just not there. I'll have to try this again when I can be sure it's fresh to see if my opinion changes.

3.06/5  rDev -23.9%

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Color: sits clear burnt orange

Smell: great malt sweetness dominated by piney and citrusy hops.

Taste: great citrus and pine notes. even tugged a little at the glands behind my cheeks on the first sip. little bit of sweetness to round it out nicely. significantly dry, bitter finish

Mouthfeel: low-med body with decent amount of carbonation.

Notes: simply? superb IPA. it isnt anything special, so it didnt blow me out of the water, but as far as just a straight IPA goes, if youre looking for a good amount of bitterness, call this a job well done.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.18/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. From a six-pack. First shipment to reach PA from what I am told.

L - hazy golden amber color. Foamy head with some lacing down the glass. Foam gripping the glass when swirled around.

S - spent grain, thick resin hops. Notes of peanut butter from the malt, citrus pine hop character.

T - malt up front, full of hops in the rest of the taste. Thick hop resin taste that coats the tongue.

F - Light in body. Easy to drink, a little boozy but more hop resin.

O - this is almost like it came out of some homebrewer's garage brewery. Shorts just made its way to Pennsylvania to try out distribution and I have been seeing more bars carrying their product. Very good IPA for fans of the style. I love the thick resiny hop character. Must try, Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

A: 1 1/2 fingers worth of head; very bright pale color. The head came down quickly but the carbonation was very noticeable.

S: Hoppy, quite grainy smell - possibly some sort of barley in the aroma. Also a malty attribute in the smell.

T: This beer on first taste was so surprising that it wasn't great; however, as the beer went on it just got better and better. The unique flavor of the beer is among the best of all IPAs I've had - the hop aspect of the ale is executed to near perfection.

M: Average mouthfeel; not overly smooth or harsh.

D: Enjoyable but probably difficult to have a lot of due to bitterness.

This was a very interesting and fun beer to drink. Different from any other IPA I've had.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a nice fluffy one fingers worth of white head. Nice lacing and good retention. Clear pale golden body.

Smells of carmel and bready malts, earthy, floral hops. Quite nice for an IPA.

Tastes initially sweet and malty, then a transition to floral, grassy and earthy hops. This is fairly complex and pleasant. The lingering hop note is oily coating hoppy goodness.

Mouthfeel is medium body with light carbonation, a nice creamy texture with each sip.

Overall this is a very sold IPA, I'm glad a bought a sixer of this to enjoy for the next week. Picked this up while on my beercation this past week, $11.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

3.61/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into pint glass
A – 1+ finger off white head settled to a very thin layer, nice lacing all around, slightly hazy gold with amber hues, impressive 4.5
S – citrus, dry grasses, toasty with a bit of tropical fruit sweetness 3.5
T – Bready with an herbal hop bitterness, grapefruit zest, mild pine, decent malt balance with some caramel character, I’m personally not so fond of the hop profile 3.5
M – Moderate body, slightly sticky, nice smoothing small bubble carbonation 4
O – Hop profile/flavors that I tend to like is lacking but brew still has substantial hop bitterness. Looks and feels good, but I’ll skip buying this one again as the taste is not enough to my liking. 3.5

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a nice dark golden color. a little hazy. A thick frothy offwhite head as well.

S.

huge hop smell. I'm getting a huge whiff of citrus fruits with a little pine in there. A great smelling beer.

T.

A lot of bitterness. You get the bitterness from the hops straight up..the piny hops more so than the citrusy hops. Then some of the maltiness in there that cuts a little bit of that bitterness. IMO, this beer is very similar to Alpha King but more bitter.

M.

medium bodied. a good amount of carbonation. The bitterness can linger about bit and leave a little dry taste in the mouth.

D.

decent, but hard to find in Indiana. I picked this up in Grand Rapids. I would definitely try again, but I'd rather get some Alpha King as it's not as bitter, easier to find and one of my go to session beers.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

hadn't had this for a while and grabbed a bottle. was really good and had to up my rating.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I need to review these whilst drinking them so I can remember all the details....

I definitely loved the bitterness-to-citrus ratio. Meaning hoppy and bitter, and spot on as an American IPA. it is very "Michigan" - maybe from the hint of pine that comes through.... made me feel nostalgic drinking it locally though. Slightly hazy in color, and a hint of sweetness in the malt with a medium head coming from the bottle, thicker head from the tap.

Taking some of this back to Ohio for my brother-in-law. He told me to get it when the lady and I were in Michigan, and boy was I glad!

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company